Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I dream of mermaids...

What's the best way to scare away the blahs? Jump start things with something new. So I am diving back in with Mermaid Gloves.


Ever since Steph (a clever girl, with impeccable taste) unveiled her Mermaid Gloves some time ago, I have dreamed of a pair of my own. Apparently, I am not alone. Plus, it is a great excuse to use that fab Sundara Yarn I have been saving. Oh yes, my friends, that is the famous Cherry Blossom colorway (which aparently Sundara Yarn is no longer making). Lucky me!

Why did it take me so long to start this knit? After my Pomatomus socks, I felt I needed some space from the pattern, despite really wanting the gloves. But how much space? If only I had a wise knitting guru to ask...

Me, wide-eyed and wearing my newly completed "poms":
"O Purl Master, when will I know it is time to knit the lovely, yet involved Pomatomus pattern again?"

Wise knitting guru, who has knit her fair share of Cookie A sock patterns:
"When you can close your eyes and no longer see rows 1-22 of chart A and B imprinted on the inside of your eyelids. Then and only then will you be ready, Grasshopper."

So I guess the time has come. And I welcome it.

PS - Thanks for all the love on my new blog look. I feel like I look like a real blogger now--with a real header and everything! It's amazing what you can do when you have a friend that makes his living working with PhotoShop--he can actually make your sad attempt at "artsy" photography look kinda cool. Thanks Jon!

28 comments:

tiennie said...

I have that Cherry Blossom Yarn too. I'm saving it for something but don't know what. Your gloves are too pretty though! I'm going to copy you on the Chevron and maybe the gloves too!

vera said...

wow, i just love that yarn! It is so gorgeous. I wouldn't want to use it either. That will make the most amazing pair of gloves. :0)

cbknits80 said...

Very pretty and I like the blog look!

Kelly said...

ooohhh thats one yummy colourway!!!

a friend to knit with said...

Lucky you for sure!
Those are going to be beautiful out of that yarn!

Margene said...

You header is perfect. Pomotomi will be beautiful with Sundara's yarn...I'm still petting mine.

nova said...

You know, I am not usually a fan of pink, but that pink in the Cherry Blossom colorway is gorgeous, and knit up in mermaid gloves, brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Kara...that is fabulous yarn. The colors are amazing. Glad you are over your 'blahs' and are delighting us with wit and beauty! By the way, I love the Knitting Lemonade LEMONADE! Simply Perfect!
Mom

Emma said...

Ooh, that's going to be so gorgeous in that yarn! Love!

AmyArtisan said...

Loving the gloves - a great use of a gorgeous colorway! :)

WandaWoman said...

That is some pretty yarn too. Love those gloves!

Zonda said...

Oh that is gorgeous knitted up! I'm waiting for mine to arrive! Thanks so much for the preview! :)

prettyknit said...

I like your new blog, very nice. I saw you have done a biggy print shrug like the bless shrug by kimhargreaves,I love it, how many balls of biggy print you used? do you have any pattern note? I'm dying to knit that but the kit are too expensive for me.

prettyknit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brenda said...

So pretty! Great post, too. My DH is always saying to me, "Patience, Grasshopper."

LW said...

I can't wait to see the finished product, oh and I love your header!

Kate said...

its amazing what a cool header can do

knittingphilistine said...

Oh, those are going to be ::drool:: worthy for certain.

brandilion said...

oooh i love those, hm, maybe I'll put that on my to do list.

Katherine Of It All said...

Your blog looks great! And I want to make some of those mitts too, when I've finished all the bazillion other stuff I'm working on.

KeanaLee said...

Beautiful yarn, it is turning out so gorgeous. Love the new blog & thanks for the cupcake recipe.

Heather Joins The Round said...

How are the socks going? I LOVE that colorway!

Bobbi said...

They are so pretty and I love that yarn!

Nonnahs said...

Oh, I heart that yarn! Your gloves are going to be smashing!

knitseashore said...

I knew I should have ordered some of that yarn! Seriously, they are going to be gorgeous. :) Your new banner looks great too!

rachel iufer said...

ohhh that yarn makes me drool...it looks so beautiful with that pattern!

Stephanie said...

I am so jealous. That yarn is serious pretty. Heavy sigh.....and she doesn't make it anymore...that's how it always is.

Steph said...

sheesh, it took me a bit, but I realized at last you got a new blog! Very pretty! And such pretty yarn too. That'll make fabulous gloves!