Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The more things change...

the more Baskin-Robbins ice cream I eat.

Some of you may have heard Erin's news. My sister, roommate, knitting companion, confidante, and Anthropologie-top buying enabler has packed up and fled our cute little life...for a job. Yes, I am happy for her, yes I think she is making the best decision possible for her, yes I think this adventure will bless her life in countless ways...blah, blah, blahbity blah...What about ME?!

I feel like one of those injured wild animals that was taken in, cared and nurtured back to health, and now has been released back into the wild. Now that I am free, I realize how I miss captivity.


In all seriousness (which I have been trying to avoid since I cannot afford to burst into tears yet again), here are just a couple of things I am going to miss dreadfully about my girl:
  • Erin has an amazing ability to turn an ordinary night into an event. Dinner, TV, and knitting may sound like the status quo to you, but for us they were nights of excitement and pure bliss.
  • She is, and always will be, the Captain of Chinese Food Ordering.
  • She would shout, "I need my independence!" late at night when I would come into her room and bug her to tell me a good-night story. I believe deep down she loved this late-night bonding.
  • Her passion. For knitting, friends, family, you name it.
Well, there you have it. I just cried again. Happy now?

PS - I know it has been a while since you have seen any knitting in these here parts, but I promise knitting content is on its way.

16 comments:

Erin said...

Well I cried too so you can at least comfort yourself with that.

I love you Kara. So much. Hey...just two weeks before knitting and take out is ours to share again, at least for a weekend. See you soon babe.

artmomma said...

Oh my goodness, you totally made me miss my own sisters.
Now I'm all sniffly.

nova said...

You and your sister have the best relationship. And really, any sister who is the Captain of Chinese food ordering is worth her weight in gold. Gold I say.

tiennie said...

I love having sisters and I know what you mean. sniff...sniff...

Sulafaye said...

You guys are killing me over here! And I don't even have a sister. I hope that every minute you get to spend together grows more and more special!

PS Maybe Erin will accidentally leave her stash... :) (I'm trying to look on the bright side here.)

CassiLou said...

Well, I guess when you need a get away, if you can call it that, you always know where the is a good sunday dinner. Hugs out to you!

Bobbi said...

I know what you mean, I cried when I left my sister for AZ. The good news is you can still talk on the phone.

Romi said...

That's a great picture! Good luck to both you and Erin. You will always have each other even if she is away. :)

sarah said...

I just saw her post and I'm so sad for you. It's gotta be so hard for you to have her be so far away after living in the same house for so long :( I'm sure you'll be finding your own adventure in this somewhere though. And thank goodness we live in the communication age, right?

LW said...

I miss my sister so much. It really sucked when she moved away.

Nonnahs said...

:( *hug* from me! (I would offer to pig out on ice cream with you if I lived close by, but as I don't, a virtual hug is about the best I can do.) ;)

amanda cathleen said...

Its wonderful that you and your sister have such a wonderful realtionship! ((hugs)) soon you'll find your own adventure : )

knitseashore said...

I'm not as close to my sister (I wish!) as you two are, but she up and left for another state recently, and it's so weird to be at family gatherings without her. That said, I can only imagine how you both feel...cry as much as you need! :) ((hugs))

a friend to knit with said...

I am so sorry......I know SISTERS are the BEST!!! I have always felt so blessed to have them!

Ashley said...

Oh how sad--my sister and I were just saying this week how much we wished we didn't live so far apart. I know it's not the same, but at least there's phone, email and blogs!

Kate said...

Parting with sisters is a hard thing to do, and I miss mine every day.
Lucky it's so easy to keep in contact these days.