Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Estes Park: Part Two or...

How my yarnaholic tendencies reached a new and scary level.

Well, I guess this would be a good time to show you guys the Estes Park haul. First up...
Yarn: La Habana (100% Silk)
Manufacturer: Textiles A Manos
Weight: Very fine silk thread
Yardage: 700 yards
Skeins: 1

Then there was...Yarn: Acero (60% superwash wool/ 20% silk/ 20% viscose)
Manufacturer: Brooks Farm Yarn
Weight: Sock
Yardage: 420 yards
Skeins: 3
(I am thinking this yarn just might grow up to become a pair of Rhiannon stockings.)

And of course I had to buy the worsted-weight version too...
Yarn: Macero (55% superwash wool/ 30% silk/ 15% viscose)
Manufacturer: Brooks Farm Yarn
Weight: Worsted
Yardage: 550 yards
Skeins: 3

And now for the madness. At Estes Park this year, I made a purchasing decision that may forever solidify my status as a crazy yarn lady. Can you guess what it is?
Yup, my very first drop spindle and fiber. Oh, what have I done? When I went to Estes Park I had no intention of adding spinning to my crafting repertoire. But the allure was too great. I mean spindles are so cute and they were everywhere. Plus, I kept seeing bloggers that I respect carrying around these bags of fun fiber. And one thing you need to know about me is that I am easily persuaded (see llama incident in Estes Park: Part One...). This is where Kristi saved the day. She took my hand and patiently helped me pick out a drop spindle and fiber just right for a first timer. Thank you, Fiber Fool! You're my hero.

In case your interested here are the stats on the drop spindle...
Manufacturer: Magpie Woodworks
Wood: Cherry
Weight: 41g/1.4 oz

And the fiber...
Manufacturer: Handspun by Stefania
Material: Corriedale and silk nois
Color: Indigo and Iron
Weight: 4.4 oz

All in all, Estes Park was a fabulous experience. I will definitely be back next year...especially since I someone to bunk with.

17 comments:

Nonnahs said...

Yay- your first spindle! Careful- adding to the roving stash can be just as addicting as the yarn stash! That's awesome though- have fun with your new toy!

tiennie said...

Lucky you! What a haul. And you've gone to the spin side!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Yeah! You're a spinner!!!! :-)

Just give me a holler if you have questions. There are a couple good PDFs for first starting on the Interweave site too. Oh, and Spinning in the Old Way is the spindling bible!

nova said...

Congratulations. Welcome to the spindling fold. It's just as addicting as knitting (maybe more!!). One thing, I love Stefania's fiber but because it is naturally dyed, it can sometimes run (the dyes...not the fiber, though that would be totally entertaining). You are going to have SO MUCH FUN!

Kate said...

Welcome to the dark side! hehe
You know you have gone completely nuts for the fibre arts when you buy a whole unprocessed fleece...

Bobbi said...

ooooh! It's all so pretty! what a great haul.

CassiLou said...

I want to learn how to spin!!! I think that is more my calling then knitting. You know me. Ilike making a mess. Let me know when you start to really learn. You will have to be my tutor again. The yarn is GORGEOUS! So jealous.

Sulafaye said...

Oooo, what a beautiful haul! I really hope that you do make the Rhiannon stockings. And welcome to the equally addicting world of spinning!

Chris said...

How did I miss the worsted weight superwash at Brooks Farm?!?? Waaaah! You got some great stuff.

amanda cathleen said...

Looks like you had a fantastic visit! And you brought home some lovely stash : ) Great yarns.

vera said...

Jealous of your estes haul? I think so!!!
What a cute spindle. Oh Kara, you will *love* spinning. You will, you will! :0)

Yaya said...

Love the spindle! I have no idea how it works, but it IS cute. Looking forward to seeing your spinning progress :-)

knittingphilistine said...

Oooooh, drool worthy, all of it.

Webbies said...

Yay, more newbie spinners!! I am looking forward to seeing that beautiful roving spin up!

Webbies said...

Yay, more newbie spinners!! I am looking forward to seeing that beautiful roving spin up!

KnittenKnots said...

Nice haul!! Good luck with the spinning!!

WandaWoman said...

Lovely haul! I really like that Macero. Too bad I wasn't there to get some of that this year.