Saturday, July 28, 2007

Craft Flirt

So I mentioned in my previous post that I seem to spend most of my free time not knitting...here's another reason why. I, my friends, have been having a fling with another craft, Embroidery.

It only started out as a simple flirtation. I thought, how could stitching a simple tea towel really hurt anything. And after my embroidery guru, vera, fanned the flames I went ahead and bought myself several Sublime Stitching patterns including "Under the Sea".

When the patterns arrived, my heart was all a flutter. I went straight out bought way more floss than I needed, needles, a hoop, and a cute little organizer for it all. Oh, this was more than a passing fancy, this was blossoming into a real relationship.

Soon I discovered I was head over heels about embroidery. It was so much fun to try out different color combinations and change up the stitches. I made French knots and everything! If that isn't love, I don't know what is.

When the tea towel was finished, I knew this affair was far from over. In fact, there are plans being made right now a companion mermaid tea towel. Because let's face it, everything is cuter in a set.

I love knitting. I always will. It is the love of my crafting life. But, it sure is fun to date around.

24 comments:

Zonda said...

Those are so pretty! Yes, it's good to flirt around ;)

Ashley said...

Adorable! I've been considering a fling with Embroidery too--she's such a temptress.

Kate said...

GAH! So cute! I love embroidery..

vera said...

YAY! You have given in to the lure of the embroidery needle and floss! ;0)
The mermaid tea towl rocks!
And french knots?! I am sooo jealous, i still can't get them right. You are an embroidery pro already!

Octopus Knits said...

How pretty! I especially love the little starfish...

Erin said...

Beautiful!!! You are my embroidery sensei! I am sitting at your feet ready to learn...

So proud of my talented sister. :)

CassiLou said...

That is so cute! I can just think of all the cute things you could make... I LOVE emboridery. You should try Hawaiian Quilting... I even got MATT to do it with me. It's alot easier for me to tote my pillow that I am quilting then my knitting for some reason... so figure.

Jess said...

It looks fantastic! I'm having to embroider a couple of squares for a quilt, so I hope my embroidery looks as good as yours does!

Stephanie said...

ahhh yes. I have flirted with embroidery as well. It is so much fun and so much more of an instant gratification craft than knitting. I love the mermaid. She's so cute!

Melissa said...

Wow, those are really cute. Only problem that I see is that now I want to try it! AAaahh!

Emma said...

That cloth is so adorable!

Bobbi said...

they look great! I'm very impressed!

sulafaye said...

Ooo, I've never made eyes at embroidery, but looking at your pretties, maybe I should start! I bet it takes a lot less room to stash the thread, too.

rachel iufer said...

ok, that's the cutest towel ever. Embroidery is an impotant skill to have, too. You now have more options for finishing and customizing your knits. :)

Nonnahs said...

Very cute! Embroidery was actually one of the first crafty things I remember doing. Besides coloring, that is. That's a great little towel!

ty & megs said...

ohh! i think you have ignited an embroidery flame in me too. how cute is that towel!?

love the wedding pics. thanks for posting them. and i love you! it was great to see ya!!

Yaya said...

Wow look at you Ms. Crafty! Great job on the tea towel, don't worry your knitting will still love you in the morning :-)

tiennie said...

Those are so cute! How 'bout embroidery on your knits? Have fun with it!

Kaet said...

sometimes it is fun to flirt! the towels are adorable and i cannot blame you for choosing this craft for the summer!

nova said...

Must. Fight. Temptation. But really, that mermaid totally makes me want to stitch something...

annzy said...

Welcome to the dark side~

Chris said...

Cute! And think how much this is improving your duplicate stitch and how much better embroidered faces on toys that you knit will look!

Emily/ Five Flowers said...

It is great to have another craft that will inform you knitting... I am already thinking about adding sewing to a painting I am working on, and maybe a little knit item as well... I am sure you will find your self combining them in interesting ways! I love this set! I am about to embark on a crewel journey - have you read "the new crewel" yet? She has modern embroidery designs using wool! The perfect combo!

a friend to knit with said...

That is so beautiful! Love to have lots of crafts in progress!