Friday, September 21, 2007

My kind of town

Chicago was awesome to say the least. It was my first time really seeing the city and I was blown away. (Get it, the Windy City? Blown away? hahahaha...ok, I'll stop now.) But really, any place that is famous for hot dogs, pizza, and Oprah is A-OK with me.

One of the things that's impressive about Chicago is the architecture. I absolutely fell in love with the Tribune Tower. Why don't we build buildings like that anymore?

My friends Meredith, Katerina, and I took an architectural boat tour of Chicago. Now that's how you see a city. The tour even took us out on Lake Michigan for a full view of Chi-town.

Of course, we also saw other Chicago favs, including Wrigley Field, Marshall Fields, and Millennium Park. Ok, I have to admit I went a little crazy in Millenium Park...why? Mainly because of this thing:

Cloud Gate, or "the Bean" as I like to call it, is this huge reflective bean-shaped art installation in the middle of the park. The possibilities for wacky picture taking are endless...



There was also the Crown Fountain. This fountain was amazing. It had two 50-foot glass block towers at each end of a shallow reflecting pool. And it projected faces of people from Chicago. About every ten minutes the faces formed on "O" with their mouths and water spurts out. Cool, right?

And of course, my trip to Chicago was not complete until I attended the Renegade Craft Fair. It was so inspiring to see the wares of independent artists. Maybe someday I could be a booth-worthy crafter. But in the meantime I can settle for shopping. I picked up a couple of fab things...

You can take a peek inside my shopping bag here and here.

I think Chicago was definitely my kind of town and I will definitely be back.

25 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Sounds like a fantastic time! The last time I did more than pass through Chi-town I was three, LOL!

Chris said...

Chicago is great! I haven't been for probably 8 years or so, since my friend who lived there finished law school and moved.

Bobbi said...

sounds like you had a great trip!

Kara said...

Chicago is awesome! We had a great time at Renegade, too -- check out our shopping bag here:
http://designtalk.homevisions.com/category/renegade-craft-fair/

tiennie said...

What a cool trip! I've never been to Chicago. I'm going to tag along next time!

nova said...

Chicago is definately my kind of town too! I am glad you had to much fun!

Karin said...

I'm glad you liked it here! Yeah I live in the city, about 10 minutes from downtown!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the river and lake too. I work for a non-profit dedicated to improving the water quality of the river and we try and promote it as a valuable resource for the residents and visitors of Chicago.

you should see those fountains when it is very hot out--PACKED with kids! It's really cute to watch them all play there.

sulafaye said...

Wow, it looks like a fabulous time, and I love your new necklace!! Maybe we should convince the Harlot to hold a "Represent: Chicago"!

t & britty said...

How fun Kara. Never been there, but want to now after seeing your pictures.

Susan said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. Love the fox necklace.

AmyArtisan said...

Glad to hear that this great city was your kind of town last weekend - it was a great one for you to be here for. The architectural boat tour & Millennium Park are my 2 favorite things to do in the city. :)

Octopus Knits said...

How fun! I think the bean looks really neat...love your funny photos there.

Meg said...

I love Millenium Park too! And the Bean, which apparently, residents of Chicago are not so fond of... glad you had a great trip. I went in March this year. The fountain was less cool then, as you can probably imagine...

a friend to knit with said...

I lived in Chicago after college....ahhh....great time to be there!
Beautiful photos....thanks for taking me back.... :)

Kim said...

Chicago is one of my favorite cities ever! Good food, neat buildings, all around good fun! Looks like you had a great trip! (I never did see the big mirror thingee--looks neat!)

amanda cathleen said...

that big mirror thingy-magig is really cool, and so is the bean! Sounds like a great time. : )

Kaet said...

sounds like you had a great time! i have never been, so i appreciate you sharing the pictures! the lake looks amazing!

Erin said...

Looks like fun. Although I am not sure it could have been since i wasn't there. :)

I love the bean pics. You look so cute hugging a shiny metal sculpture.

Romi said...

How cool! I'm so jealous. :)

Lolly said...

I was there three weeks ago and I fell in love with the city - amazing! I can't wait to get back there myself. So good to see that you had a nice time!

knitseashore said...

Chicago is so much fun. I went out once or twice for a conference for work and really enjoyed it, despite the cold. I hope to be back soon too.

Yarn Coffee said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I went to chicago for the past three years but am unable to make it this year. I too love the bean and took an amazing shot from the underneath/inside.

My friend who lives there created a map for me of all the LYS and then provided me with bus schedules for getting to each one. They have some great yarn out there!

vera said...

That shiny bean is awesome! I would go there just to see and hug him! :0)
So jealous of you going to the craft fair. Wish i was there!

Meredith Whitney said...

We had such a fab time! Love the photos! Can't wait to get them in the mail. Sorry I went a little crazy with the camera...like always : )

The Happy College Knitter said...

You and Frank Sinatra right? It's my kind of town too actually. It's big enough to feel like a big city but it's still Midwest enough to feel like home. Well, home to me anyway...but I'm a little biased I think. Looks like you had a great time!