Sunday, November 11, 2007

IGK: The Unoriginal Hat


Here is another installment in my IGK (or Instant Gratification Knitting) series: The Unorignal Hat by the one and only Yarn Harlot. It only took two movies to get it all done. You can’t get gratification more instant than that.

I discovered this pattern while surfing Ravelry yesterday. And the thought immediately struck me, “I totally have yarn for this project in my stash.” And then another discovery, “I totally have the right sized needles.” And then the clincher, “This pattern is totally free.” It seems that fate was totally determined to have me knit this hat right then and there.

Just in case you are interested, here are the details...
Pattern: The Unoriginal Hat, by the Yarn Harlot
Yarn: Fat Sheep Yarn in Pecan Pie, by Farmhouse Yarns (This was my souvenir yarn from Boston! Yay!)
Needles: US 11 dpns
Date started AND finished: November 10, 2007

While knitting this hat, I realized something. I have never knit a beanie before. I know, right? How is this possible? I’ve knit hats before. There have been berets, a newsboy hat, a felted cap…but no beanies. Basically I’ve been knitting for 3-plus years and have somehow missed the all important “Knit a Beanie” rite of passage. Aren't beanies just one of those things every knitter has in their history? First scarf…check. First pair of socks…you betcha. First beanie…better late than never.

36 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh so cute. And--Pecan Pie? It's secretly a Pushing Daisies hat!

Emma said...

Very pretty hat. Love the colors!

CassiLou said...

Love it, love it, love it!

Sula said...

I think skipping the "beanie" stage did not harm your development in the least. After all, Ravelry + free pattern + perfect yarn + right needles = knitting pro!

BTW, do you mind if I steal the IGK series idea? It seems to fit the little I've been doing so well...

WandaWoman said...

Cute hat!

Lolly said...

you knit that souvenir yarn up quickly! and it looks great :)

Lauren said...

I love it! That yarn looks so yummy :)

Disentangled said...

super cute! such great IGK!

Margene said...

Perfect! It looks great on you, too.

Erin said...

It is like I don't even know you. I don't like it when you work on projects I am not aware of. Not one bit. Cute beanie though.

Knitting Novice said...

Looks Great! I think I have been inspired to add it to my every growing queue.

tiennie said...

Love this hat - especially on you! I want one now!

Octopus Knits said...

Great hat! (mmmm.... pecan pie....)

Chris said...

Cute'n'fast - can't beat that!

Nonnahs said...

So cute! Gotta love the IGK projects- and this is a great one!

Yaya said...

I'm all about the IGK! I have to chime in and say I really like the colorway, so pretty and autumnal.

Meg said...

So cute!!

Stephanie said...

Hmmm. I have never knit a beanie. What does that mean? I just don't like how they look on me. I do however...really like how this hat looks on you. I saw this on the Yarn Harlot's site a few days ago. It looks like a fun and easy knit. Perhaps it would change my perceptions of a beanie? I don't know. I might just have to try it out :)

Kelly said...

ohhh Love the yarn, good enough to eat! Looks great with that pattern.

Kelly said...

ohhh Love the yarn, good enough to eat! Looks great with that pattern.

delovely said...

Love, love, LOVE those colors! I want to make this hat sssooo badly now...

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Hmmmm, I may have an excuse to spin more bulky yarn :-) That's a fine looking hat and I'm all about the IGK lately!

Bobbi said...

great hat! I love the colors! Hurray for instant gratification!

vera said...

that beanie is perfect. is that not the most perfect fall colour? i think so.
IGK- Yes, this is the land over which i rule. it is all about instant gratification for me these days. can't wait to see what other objects of perfection you whip up! :0)

aquaknits said...

Congrats on your first beanie! I think the colors are just amazing! They couldn't have knitted up any nicer, and the cables are great!

SmallandCheery said...

Nice! Love the colors and the texture.

rachel iufer said...

this bit of IGK is fabulous and it's about time you made a beanie. you got a lot of extra credit points too with the yarn already being in your stash and the free pattern and all. don't you just feel warm and fuzzy inside now? :)

amanda said...

Wow, knit in 1 day? That's awesome! It's totally cute on you, too!

Zonda said...

Love that hat and colorway! Nice job! :)

Crystal said...

Love it!

a friend to knit with said...

i guess you are soooo right about the beanies!!
I LOVE yours!!!

Kaet said...

ready for fall! the hat looks fab on you!

nova said...

Love these colors, and I am with Ashley. Pushing Daisies hat all the way.

knitseashore said...

It looks great on you! And I like the IGK concept. We all need that inspiration going into the Christmas knits! Happy Thanksgiving!

The Happy College Knitter said...

Hooray! You have achieved your beanie right of passage! I had to think about whether or not I'd actually made a beanie before. At first I thought I hadn't, but then remembered that somebody I gifted a hat for INSISTED on a plain ribbed beanie. Yikes! Yours is much more fantastic and I like the yarn a lot - Congratulations! :)

great mineral makeup said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.