Wednesday, December 26, 2007

On the thirteenth day of Christmas...

My blog gave to me, the big reveal.

I know I missed the twelfth day of Christmas, but there was too much revelry followed by too much exhaustion to post. So although this is one day late, I still have a treat for you...Christmas knitting.

There has been a lot of hullabaloo lately about this hat from the Golden Compass. I thought it would look so sweet on my niece. I think I was right.



I based the hat on this pattern, but made some adjustments. I added some short-row shaping halfway through to give it a little more shape and I did the three-needle bind off so the ridge was on the outside of the hat. Also, I just braided up the ties, I just liked that look better than an i-cord or a twisted cord.


This hat in total took me about 2 hours to complete. I guess the hardest part of this project was finding the right yarns to use. I just decided on a combination of Debbie Bliss' Donegal Chunky Tweed in 292113, Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca Grande in 100, and Lang Yarn's Mohair Luxe in 0068. Using this combo, I doubled up the Chunky Tweed and knit it together with one strand of the alpaca and the mohair. This made the gauge about 1.5 stitches to the inch.

Here are the stats in detail...

Pattern: Lyra's Hat from the Golden Compass
Source: Based on this pattern from Froggie Meanie
Yarn: Debbie Bliss' Donegal Chunky Tweed in 292113, Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca Grande in 100, and Lang Yarn's Mohair Luxe in 0068
Made for: My 4-year old niece
Needle Size: US 17 straights
Date Started: December 23, 2007
Date Completed: December 24, 2007

I am really happy with the result. I think this hat looks pretty darn adorable on my niece and it looks close to the one in the movie. A perfect knit for Christmas.

Next blog post...more Christmas knitting revealed.

12 comments:

Chris said...

That's an adorable hat!

Zonda said...

Awesome hat! I wished I had someone to knit one for!!

Bobbi said...

it looks great! go you!

Pam said...

It's adorable! You've inspired me to try one for my niece who's 3. Nice work.

Nonnahs said...

Super cute (the hats and the nieces)!

Denise said...

I love it.... and what cute pics of your niece too. I haven't seen that movie yet.
Here's wishing you a Happy New Year.
Hugs Denise

the Lady said...

sweet hat. i was totally checking out all the knits in that movie.

Kaet said...

i really think this hat looks better than the one in the movie! and i think your niece looks even cuter in it than the girl in the movie! she is adorable!

Disentangled said...

Too cute! (I had to go queue it in Ravelry!) I can totally see my niece in one of those as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

nova said...

This is just perfect. And it looks like she lurves the hat completely! That is good work, I really like the mods you made, it does look more like the hat (in all its cuteness) from the movie.

Octopus Knits said...

That turned out so cute! Great job : )

Anonymous said...

Definitely an inspirational recreation of it! I'm setting out to make one myself, but I'm a bit of a novice, so quick question -- what do you mean by "short-row shaping"?? When&how do I do that? Yours turned out much closer to the mark as a result, and I'd love to emulate. Please let me know!