Thursday, January 31, 2008

Greetings from Hong Kong!

Well, the job has been left, the celebrations have been partied, the good-byes have been cried, and the plane ride has been endured...I am finally in Hong Kong.

So how did I spend my first day in Hong Kong? I just popped over to China. Yes, I do know that Hong Kong technically is China, but try telling that to the Immigration and Visa people. Basically to go across the border to Mainland China, you need your passport, a visa (which you needed to get ahead of time), an immigration form, the works! In my opinion, going from Hong Kong to China should be as easy as driving from California to Nevada. But I am not here to fix a broken system, I am here to buy lots of clothes for really cheap. Priorities, people!

Just across the border from Hong Kong is Shenzen. Shenzen is a very interesting place. It has a large building with thousands of stalls--stalls that sell everything from electronics to handbags, jewelry to shoes--if you want it, it is there, and for cheap. It is where you are unrelentlessly beckoned from every corner with "Hey missy, you like new purse?" or "Hey missy, you like DVDs?" or "Hey missy, you just looking?" But this missy had one thing on her mind, finding a tailor. Shenzen is THE place to get clothes made and for cheap.

Eventually my mom and I found a tailor that looked really promising and then went about ordering clothes (with the help of the smallest Chinese person on the planet). Originally, I thought I would just get a couple of pants made, maybe a couple of skirts...I ended up ordering:
  • Three dresses
  • Five pants (All are long enough for me to wear heels! Hurrah!)
  • One herringbone jacket
  • Two skirts
  • Two suits (Jacket and skirt combo)

So fifteen custom-made pieces in all (See the bag o' fabric? I meant business.). I really hope they turn out, but I won't not for sure until February 25th, the day I have my fitting and the day before I leave. So fingers crossed!

Oh yeah, do you like my "I don't want my roots to show, because I am going to be too poor to get my hair done in London" hair?

PS--I am sorry things have been so quiet around these parts the last month. But I needed time to just concentrate on leaving. And the victim of that decision was my blog. Anyway, I am back, and I hope to have some fabulous things to post about and on a more regular basis.

28 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh, I am SO jealous. I want a tiny Chinese tailor and a wardrobe of custom-fit pants!

Erin said...

No, I am jealous!!! This post kills me. I so want to be there. And really, you must admit...it would have been WAY more fun with me. :)

Stephanie said...

Wowza. You've been busy!!!

SpiderWomanKnits said...

What have you been traveling the world or something? Forget about the blog! Just have fun! We'll all be here :-)

WandaWoman said...

Good luck on your endeavors. I hope London is a wonderful experience for you. And for now, enjoy your time with your parents and fun times in HK.

amandacathleen said...

you've been busy, busy! I hope all your new clothes turn out. : )

tiennie said...

Yes, you must keep blogging - especially about your travels!

sulafaye said...

That is about the coolest thing! I want a fashion show when they're done. ;)

Melissa said...

I want a custom wardrobe too! Sounds like SO much fun -- I hope you're having a great time!!

Margene said...

Have been thinking about you. It's great to hear your off on your adventure and will be properly dressed;-)

Durrett Family Band said...

So glad to hear you endured the plane flight and made it there safely. Relax and have fun!

Karen said...

I've only heard good things about tailors in the far east--I'm jealous!

Sara Kirby said...

15 pieces of tailored clothing?! sounds well worth the trip and the neglecting of the blogosphere.

Good Luck out there!

Lolly said...

All of this happened so quickly! I am so happy for you! Amazing that you got all of those clothes too! WOW!

You look great :)

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh my gosh! it sounds like you're having a great time!

SmallandCheery said...

Must have fashion show so we can see the new wardrobe!

amanda said...

Glad you made it over safe and sound. Sounds like you're having a blast already. Keep us posted!!!

PS. I know you're totally busy but I gave you a "make my day" award on my blog :)

nova said...

Custom fit clothes, custom fit clothes! Can I be you when I grow up?

Denise said...

Hi there in Hong Kong:) Wow, custom made clothes, I can't even imagine. I hope they all turn out great. You'll show pictures right?

Chris said...

You look cute! And I'm boggling about the custom-made clothes.

Meg said...

My dad still has a suit he had custom made in China BEFORE I WAS BORN. Of course, he's a horrible pack rat, but I think it's still in good condition. Amazing....

knitseashore said...

Thanks for sharing your travels! It's a part of the world I know little about, so very fascinating to me.

saltcitytoast said...

hey there kara, my first official comment on your blog. /me pops a balloon. :)

i am beyond jealous.

what more can i say?

Nonnahs said...

Hope you're having fun!! :)

Robin said...

Oh, I am sooo jealous. You should keep your eye out for tee shirts with random english words and phrases on them, too.

shopgirl said...

I have just caught up on my reading. Wow. You are on a big adventure! good for YOU!

rachel iufer said...

ah, it's good to see you posting again! How exciting to get clothes custom made!! I have the opposite issue with pants but it's easier for me to hem than magically add length, ha!

Enjoy the trip!

Anonymous said...

found your site today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later ..