Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The perfect pair.

I know it's been a while since I've shown knitting in these here parts, so brace yourselves.

For Christmas (I know, that was so 2007, but hang in there), Erin and I decided to be uncharacteristically unselfish with our knitting and knit something for our parents. What we came up with was that we would each knit a pair of Log Cabin Socks from Handknit Holidays--Erin would knit the pair for my mom, I would knit the pair for my dad.

And since my parents lived in Hong Kong, and shipping prices were through the roof, they weren't able to get their socks until I came for my visit. (Now you see why I am only talking about this now.)

Basically, I LOVE these socks. I want them for me, me, me. Yeah, that unselfish streak was very short lived. Here are the details:

Pattern: Log Cabin Socks
Source: Handknit Holidays, by Melanie Falick
Yarn: Berroco Peruvia in 7123
Made for: My dad
Needle Size: US 8 dpns
Date Started: December 15, 2007
Date Completed: January 29, 2007 (So they weren't quite finished for Christmas. I finished the second sock on the plane ride to Hong Kong.)
Modifications: My dad doesn't have the smallest feet. So basically I knit the large size with thicker yarn and bigger needles than the pattern suggests. It worked great. These socks are a perfect fit.

My mom and dad are a pretty cute pair. They only deserve socks that are just as cute as they are.

22 comments:

Margene said...

A very nice gift of love! Your parents feet are so cute and they look good together. ;-)

ty & megs said...

what a great pair of socks and parents. tell them that i love them! (your parents, not the socks.)

enjoy all your mama time and i can't wait to get a glimpse of your new wardrobe!

nova said...

Your parents sound pretty cute! I keep wanting to knit these socks...maybe for someone this Christmas....

Jennifer said...

Those are super cute socks! Aww...it's Sock Love. :)

Disentangled said...

Such a great idea! Way to put the skills of 2 knitters to use! I'm sure your parents will treasure their gifts. :-)

Team Knit ! said...

What a great idea!! The socks look amazing, by the way.

- Julie

Stephanie said...

Those look so cute and very cozy. I bet they are keeping the parental units feet toasty warm!

Nonnahs said...

Cute! I love that you and Erin each made a pair for your parents - what a perfect gift!

a friend to knit with said...

how cute is that! i can tell they are so cute! and so are their socks!

Lolly said...

such a sweet and thoughtful gift! love the photos too. I love this pattern and I need to make some too :) (and my some for my parents?)

Chris said...

They look wonderfully cozy! I think they're in my queue already...

tiennie said...

What a sweet picture of their feet! Cute! Great job on the socks.

tiennie said...

What a sweet picture of their feet! Cute! Great job on the socks.

CassiLou said...

Love the socks! I can just see your dad putting those on and walking around the house with them. And your mom wearing them as she is working on one of her fun sewing projects.

Denise said...

Lovely socks, and how sweet for you both to make a pair for your mom and dad. Hope you're enjoying your time there.

WandaWoman said...

Those are beautiful socks. A great present for your parents.

Ashley said...

Oh, that is just adorable. Aren't they the best socks?

sulafaye said...

This is so sweet! And so are the pictures. (Reminds me that DH has been asking for another pair of these too).

the Lady said...

Very cute! And nice fireworks!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

What a great gift! How nice!

The Happy College Knitter said...

Awww adorable! Holiday presents are great any time of the year :)--Those look super cozy and warm!

amandacathleen said...

That is one, er, two adorable presents! What a thoughtful pair you and your sis are : )