Saturday, March 1, 2008

'Allo, Luv!

Yes, it is true. I am finally in London. I arrived on Tuesday night after about 24 hours of flying (a 7-hour layover in Korea is not as fun as it sounds). Then I took on the Herculean effort of getting my sizable luggage to my lodging on the tube. Frankly, I think I am going to have to stay in the UK forever for the sole reason that I never want to drag luggage anywhere again...especially on the tube during rush hour. But I made it. Oh, I made it!

So why has it taken me so long to post? Well, come to find out the wireless at the place I'm staying doesn't work...well, it works just not for me. So frustrating. I didn't realize how dependent on the world wide web I truly was until this week. I need my e-mail. I need to talk to my family on the webcam. I need to read my blogs. I've had the shakes all week going through withdrawals. But I am trying to come up with some sort of solution, cause I can't go on like this much longer.

But believe me, I have been keeping myself distracted. What do the ubiquitous they say? "If you're bored with London, then you're bored with life." Armed with my perfect London playlist on my iPod, I've hit the streets and explored. Sometimes I catch my reflection in a store window and realize that I'm smiling for no apparent reason. Looks like somebody has a crush.

In addition to some housekeeping items I've had to attend to (like getting a cell phone, groceries, a tube pass, etc.), I have had some serious fun. The biggest highlight was on Thursday night. I've been a MIKA fan for a while now, so I was completely stoked when I found out the last concert of his 19-month tour was going to be in London a couple days after I got into town. But to my utter disappointment, it was completely sold out. I took it as a bad omen. How could I possibly have a memorable stay if it doesn't start with MIKA? So I began my quest for a ticket. After a couple of dead ends on Gumtree (London's version of Craig's List), I finally found a ticket. A girl was selling a single ticket because her sister broke her leg and could not go AND she was selling it below face value. Hurrah! I like to call it the Miracle of the Broken Leg by the Holy Sister of No Grace.

At first, I was a little nervous. I've never been to a concert by myself before. But I felt like if I could do this, then I could do this whole crazy London thing on my own. I went, and as if knowing my fears, MIKA opened his concert with the wise counsel, "Relax, take it easy..." You know, I think everything is going to be just fine.



Thank you, MIKA. Your concert completely rocked my world.

PS-I got my tailor-made clothes the day I left Hong Kong. I'm still working on the pics, but I will definitely show you the fashion show when I am done. But overall, I'm really happy.

23 comments:

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I hope you get your net connection figured out. That sucks.

wow what a great start to your stay! I can't wait to hear more about London and your adventures! :)

Durrett Family Band said...

Hurray! So glad you made it there safely.

ty & megs said...

yea kara! you made it! i'm so excited to hear about your adventures.

love you!

Kaet said...

i am so happy to hear how happy you are! isn't life fun when your dreams are all coming true! i hope you enjoyed the concert...you are a strong woman to go alone. i was so scared the first time i went to the ballet alone, and realized not one of my friends could ever be so independent and it is a real sign of strength!

Katherine Of It All said...

I love Mika!!! And I love London, maybe even more. What a piece of serendipitous perfection.

Mika was in SLC a few weeks ago, but I was too sick. Dang! Glad you went. There's no such thing as coincidence, baby.

The Happy College Knitter said...

Oh I'm so glad you're alright!! I'm living vicariously through you right now, wishing that I were off exploring another country instead of studying for midterms. Le sigh....enjoy yourself!!

Stephanie said...

Okay...now the jealousy really sets in. WHAAAA! I wanna be where you are!!!

So have you scoped out any good yarn stores yet?

Erin said...

I HATE that you don't have internet. You must take care of this babe. I miss you and love you forever. Oh, and yea for concert with Mika!

a friend to knit with said...

i just love to hear that you are totally in love with life right now!!! enjoy all of your adventures.

Laurel said...

I want to have a "London crush" too!
SO glad you are there. Can't wait to hear about the adventure...

CassiLou said...

Sounds like you are having a blast. You DO need to get this internet thing fixed cuz I wanted to talk to you today for my bday. =( Love ya!

Denise said...

I'm getting old (sniff), I've never even heard of MIKA!!! :(
But if you can do a concert in England on your own, yes, you can do anything - you go girl!
Can't wait to see all your lovely clothes ;-)

t & britty said...

congratulations. i love reading about your adventures. have fun and thanks for that video. he is the bomb!

Crystal said...

Yay! You made it! I've been keeping up with your adventures but this seems like the biggest step yet. Good for you for going to the concert alone! I'm sure you'll be making new friends in no time and it will soon start to feel like home ;)

tiennie said...

I'm so excited for you! Enjoy your adventures!

rmiriam12 said...

I am so happy you made it in one piece. I am sure MIKA puts on a fab show - he is awesome.

You should enter to get tickets to the Doctor Who S4 premiere party!
http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?id=EkpuFElkVAJgejLyGs&tmpl=newsrss&style=feedstyle

Nonnahs said...

Yay for finally being in London! You're going to have so much fun!

Ashley said...

I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your London adventures. I would be grinning to myself all the time in windows too. Keep exploring and having fun. Oh, and check out the Sir John Soane house--it's one of those teeny kittle jewelbox museums--full of all kinds of antiquities/weirdnesses, if you like that sort of thing.

xoxoxo

knitseashore said...

So glad you made it to London OK, and have hopefully found a good wireless connection! The idea of going without makes me twitchy. LOL

The Happy College Knitter said...

Um...it has been aprox. 12 days. Come baaaaaaaaaaaack! :)

Amanda said...

Oh Kara, I am starving for some news from the motherland!

Hope you are still having a blast!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

You go girl! I actually have heard of MIKA...I'm so proud!? Very proud of you too! May your creative juices flow like the Thames! One of my lifetime favorite memories was London with Meghan and Mandi...Wagamama's didn't hurt the experience either! Love ya! Aunty KJ

CmentMixer said...

I absolutely fell in love with London. I would walk from Horse Guards to Covent Garden, then wander down to Leicester Square. The walk from Trafalgar down the Mall is spectacular in the Spring.
There is not another city like it.