Monday, June 16, 2008

Walking with the dead

When I was a kid, cemeteries gave me the heebie jeebies. And why wouldn't they, when my sole concept of them came from Scooby-Doo cartoons? However, as an adult, I've discovered quite an affinity towards them.

The Nunhead Cemetary is this old victorian cemetery in London. What's amazing about this cemetery is the wildness of it. It's almost like time and nature embrace the long-forgotten dead. (That last sentence belongs in a bad haiku or something. Sorry about that.)

This is what I mean...




Ok, I have to admit, I got a little nervous when I discovered these OPEN tombs. I mean, come on, how creepy is the one that's open just a crack? You can just see skeleton fingers emerging from the depths below, can't you?

And then there were the angels. Beautiful, sometimes broken angels. For some reason, I just began collecting them on my walk...






Ok, she is technically not an angel, but I didn't want her to think she wasn't as pretty as the other girls.

All in all, a cemetery stroll was a perfect way to spend a quiet afternoon in drizzly London.

16 comments:

Diane said...

I loved this post...this is just how I would imagine a cemetary in England would look. Did you read any tombstones that quickened the imagination? Loved the angels...the open tombs?--on that I agree with you!

Patrick said...

You're such a goth.

Margene said...

It looks like a very peaceful place.

Alice said...

labroke grove cemetery is pretty good too (near Notting Hill). They do tours. In fact, there is going to be some big art project there this summer, with actors playing characters based on names on gravestones!

ali said...

So how did you find this place. Did you just happen to make a wrong turn some where? :) Looks really cool and peaceful.

Jon

CassiLou said...

My grandparents (Tutu and Grandpa McKinlay) courted in a cemetary up in Idaho. I know... not as beautiful, but pretty cool. I love the pics. It just makes me want to get out my magnifying glass and a fun trench coat. Jeepers!

Erin said...

Ohhhh, i love your pictures. What a fun place to walk through.

tiennie said...

I think cemeteries still creep me out - especially the overgrown ones. You've managed to take beautiful non-creepy photos there though!

JujuBean said...

Very cool. What a great way to spend an afternoon. Emma read this one with me and said "that belongs in a horror movie." I love cemeteries myself, but an open tomb . . . yikes.

Amanda said...

It's so random that you made this post. I have been taking pictures of the cemetery near my house and I was going to post about it. I have quite an affinity for them as well.

Adam and Bri said...

I loved this post! It's both eerie and beautiful at the same time.

Durrett Family Band said...

I have a thing for beautiful, old cemeteries, too. Remember our drizzly, misty morning walk through Pere Lachaise?

Lisa said...

Not sure I'd go there at night, and the open tombs part freaked me out, but the rest was kind of cool.

SmallandCheery said...

Mmmm...Makes me think of the dear Doctor..."Beware the Weeping Angels.."

Heidelweiss said...

Great pics! What are you, some kind of pro photographer? DId you peak in those tombs? I could not have helped myself (I would have made sure no one was looking first).

jill said...

Kara- can't get much better than little walks and discoveries in a beautiful foreign country. Love your post.