Thursday, July 10, 2008

Home again, home again...jiggity jig

I am back in the City of Salty Lake. It was funny when I landed, I happened to walk out to the arrival area of the airport with a bunch of Mormon missionaries returning home. There were throngs of family members waiting for their son or daughter with signs and balloons. Everyone was getting so worked up as their particular missionary walked out. I thought to myself, "I don't need a reception like that. I'm an experienced world traveler, I don't need my family members waiting for my imminent arrival. Look at me, I am sooo independent." So I took a few confident strides past the families and walked toward the exit. At that moment, I saw my two sisters walk into the terminal looking franticly for me. That's when I started blubbering like a baby. So much for independence.

Bri captured this nice no make-up moment of me as I approached them. Doncha like my fourth of July shirt?

Reunion, captured by a (what else?) self-portrait.

It has been great to be home. A little weird too, but definitely great. The best thing has been to just play with my family. I miss sitting on the back porch having dinner with them and just talking, or playing a mean game of catchphrase.

There have been other great perks to being back, like the driving. Oh, how have I missed the driving!

Here's hoping I stay on the right side of the road.

And of course, the eating of burgers. Welcome home, Kara.

Come to mama.

29 comments:

Lisa said...

Oooh that burger looks so good. I could totally go for one of those RIGHT NOW.

Stacy said...

Welcome home! I agree - that burger does look delish!

Melissa said...

Welcome home! I saw these pictures over on Flickr -- they're so great!

SmallandCheery said...

Wahoo! You are home!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

LOL welcome home!

Nonnahs said...

Okay, that burger looks so delish! Welcome home! :)

annzy said...

yeah for five guys and kara in the valley!!!

Erin said...

So glad I could be there for your homecoming. Love you!

Yaya said...

Welcome back! Gotta love a burger!

the Lady said...

Welcome back! You look so happy and lovely!

tiennie said...

Welcome home! Of course I would totally blubber too. Go easy on the burgers. :)

Disentangled said...

Welcome home! Glad you had a great trip!

Adam and Bri said...

Oh how I love that you're home. Muah!

Heidelweiss said...

Oh you. You can always get a good table. I'm so glad you're home!!!!!! Love that you blubbered at the airport. Love, especially, that you can go to yarn stores with me (no, I won't make you go until the fam is back in Hongity Kong. That surprise party made me use force I'm not used to using. (Like my alliteration?)). Home again, home again, joggity jog.

martha said...

Welcome home!!
You're looking slimmer in the pics
and... the burger looks delicious.

Laurel said...

you look FABULOUS!!
please please let's get together. So glad you're back...I'll be home next week after my "I pinky swore Kara" trip. Can't wait to catch up!

t and britty said...

welcome home. i just love the picture of you and erin and breezy. awww, sisters are just the best! i love cheeseburgers!

Megs said...

Driving and burgers? so jealous.

Durrett Family Band said...

So glad you're home safe and sound. I'm totally diggin' the Freedom Franks tee. Can I SWF you and get one of my own? Now that you're back you want to make another trip to Austin, don't you? I haven't seen you in ages.

WandaWoman said...

I'm glad you made it back in one piece!

Stephanie said...

Welcome back!!!

KeanaLee said...

SO HAPPY U R BACK! Enjoyed so much reading about your travels! Yeah, your home!

amanda said...

welcome home!

I remember driving and road signs in general were two things that were weird to me again when I came back from my semester abroad in London. Glad you had such an unforgettable time!

Jenn said...

Ah, nothing is better than a big ol' cheeseburger in the States. Welcome home!

Tracy said...

Kara-
I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful trip and how great to be home and around family again- and your car and good burgers.
-Tracy

fiveflowers said...

So glad you are back safe and sound! Sounds like you had such an adventure.... i look forward to hearing even more!

Sara Kirby said...

Glad to have you back on the continent! Hope to see some knitting soon!

Octopus Knits said...

Welcome back! What a great trip (and that burger looks luscious) :)

Ashley said...

Glad you're back in the USofA Kara! It looks like you had an awesome time in London and enjoyed the journey. I'm so jealous! Too bad I'm not in SLC anymore, because I wish we could do lunch and chat all about it. If you ever feel like coming to North Carolina, I know a great free place to stay! :)