Thursday, July 3, 2008

My last day.


Today is my last day in London. I know, I can't believe it either. I fly home tomorrow. On the fourth of July. (Yeah, the irony is not lost on me.)

Has it really been four months? If my life were a sitcom, this would be one of those episodes where they make you think it is new, but really it just has some flimsy storyline in order to set up a clip show. This post is my flashback episode.

The last four months can be measured a lot of ways. One way, is by the things I have done: museums I have visited, plays I have seen, food I have eaten, tea I have sipped, parks I have sat in, streets I have walked (ok, I will stop, this is starting to sound like lyrics to an easy-listening song). It was an amazing thing to wake up and have no idea what I was going to do that day, and to realize that I had all of London to choose from. Now that is one amazing buffet.

Of course I could measure my time here by my friends. Not only have I had some amazing friends come and visit me, but I have also made some new ones. This was a welcome and pleasant surprise. I was fully prepared to be alone in London, you know, brooding in solitude on my journey of self-discovery. But I can't help it, people just like me. So the friends eventually came and made me realize that it is just as sweet to share a city, as it is to have it all to yourself.

I think probably the ultimate way to measure my London time is by what I learned about moi. When I got here, I had no idea what I should do next in my life. Now, well, I still have no idea what's next. Progress, no? Seriously though, even though my future is so up in the air, I feel peaceful about where I am and where I am heading. I am just happy. I like me this way. I just hope that I can remember this feeling and not revert back to my old ways of thinking, the thinking that got me in my rut in the first place. (Is it possible to write this kind of stuff without sounding uber-cheesy?)

So tomorrow I go back home. I get to see my family, eat a decent hamburger, and figure out what's next. Who knows what's in store for little ol' me? Whatever it is, I think London will have to take a lot of the credit.

17 comments:

CassiLou said...

I want a full debriefing of all of your adventures. Don't ya know I live vicariously through you?

Nonnahs said...

Wow- that was fast! I'm so glad to hear you had such a fulfilling time in London and are feeling so happy...and I hope that feeling lasts for a long time to come!

Erin said...

I love that you are happy. I love that you have a whole range of possibilities ahead. And I love that I get to see you tomorrow. LOVE it.

Disentangled said...

I can't believe your time is up either! But welcome home and I'm so glad you had such a wonderful adventure!

KeanaLee said...

WOW! Done already, have a safe flight home, look forward to hearing more from you in the future & seeing where life takes you.

Amanda said...

What an amazing adventure! I can't wait to hear where you end up next. If you land in SLC for a while (you know, in between trips to Hawaii and such) we should do something.

the Lady said...

"Wherever you go, there you are." I'm glad you've had such a good time doing it! Welcome home soon!

Heidelweiss said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. London is the greatest place in the world and I think you took full advantage of it! I'm very excited to see you soon!

nova said...

so, do you feel like it was everything you thought it would be?

Melanie said...

You have lived out everyone's fantasy...taking off and living in London just cause! We're super excited to see you and we're going to have to get a decent burger while you are here.

Jane said...

Wow! I remember reading your posts about when you were first coming. That went by so fast. I'm really glad you had a great time though! And (that part really made me laugh!) I'm sorry you didn't find any good burgers in London! Safe travels back again and have a great 4th of july :)

tiennie said...

I'm so glad you had this adventure in your life! Thanks for taking us along too!

Laurel said...

PROMISE ME we'll catch up. My "london" is next week...thanks to YOU.
I'm so happy for your, Kara. You're amazing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your adventures abroad.
I looked forward to the next city stop everytime I visited your blog... Norway was one of my favorites.
Welcome home and Happy 4th of July!
martha

Adam and Bri said...

This post made me tear up a little! What an amazing trip. I love you, Kara. And I can't wait to pick you up from the airport in 20 minutes. (Yeah, that's right.)

Heather Joins The Round said...

Welcome home!

ali said...

I love the flashback episodes! (Actually I hate them, the only thing I love about them is that they are so laughably predictable--but in your case, I'll make an exception) I'm happy to have you back in the country even though you are still too far away from us :) Welcome Home!!