Friday, August 22, 2008

It's just like riding a bike...

Thank you all so much for the well wishes on my job and condo. I close next week and am very excited. Once that is all settled, I will be able to get in and take some pictures to show you guys. Did I mention that my condo is in a cute area of downtown AND only 3.5 blocks away from my LYS? I know, what a charmed life I do lead.

With my move back to Salt Lake City, I have decided to rededicate myself to the city and all it has to offer. But with my SLC renaissance comes the desire to be a bicyclist, a cute skirt-wearing bicyclist on a tangerine cruiser with a basket filled with fresh-cut flowers and a baguette. (Yes, apparently I'm Audrey Hepburn in my imagination.) Only one problem. I don't know how to ride a bike.

Some of you may know of my secret shame, for the rest this might be a shocking revelation. I usually keep such a fact a secret since most people think it is totally weird (and very sad) for a 29 year old to not know how to ride a bike. But Kara, how did you never learn? I tried to learn a couple of times as a kid, but never got the hang of it. Then after a while, I just stopped trying. I even experimented with it once in college, but it didn't take. You'd be surprised how little this skill is required for a functioning adult in society, and how easily it can be avoided for decades.

So in order to be the cute bicyclist of my dreams, I enlisted the help of my sister Bri and brother-in-law Adam to help me learn to ride. Well, more like Adam insisted cause he thought I was bringing dishonor to the family name.


So as with any classic bike-riding lesson, we headed to an empty church parking lot. As you can see, I was a little nervous. But Adam put my mind to rest and said he would run behind me holding the bike and promised he wouldn't let me fall. Don't believe him?



You can tell I was really focused cause there are no pictures of me looking up when I was touching the bike. I was so in the zone.


After about five minutes of dragging Adam around the parking lot, Bri just told me to just try it on my own. So I took a deep breath and did just that.

Cue R. Kelley's "I believe I can fly..." The best thing about this pic is that you can see Bri and Adam's shadows, like proud parents looking on as their baby bird flies the nest. And with more and more practice eventually, I looked like this...



Thanks, Adam and Bri! Now when people say, "It's just like riding a bike..." I won't immediately think, "Oh, you mean like really, really hard."

40 comments:

Amanda said...

I giggled the whole way through this post. I love that you didn't know how to ride a bike and I love that you just learned how!

Glad you had such cute teachers :)

ty and megs said...

yea kara! i never thought this day would come. now all you need to do is find the tangerine basketed cruiser of you dreams!

you did the hallstrom name proud! now you can teach erin to ride!...or did she already learn?

JujuBean said...

Yeah Auntie Bara! You're a fabulous example to two other young ladies hoping to learn. Way to go!

Steph said...

Great job! You're going to look just like Audrey Hepburn and I can't wait to see your cruiser.

Please tell me that part of the fantasy involves a bicycle helmet? I had a rather ugly bike accident in July, so I've been jokingly calling myself the poster child for bicycle safety.

Lauren said...

How fantastic - good for you! I can't believe you never learned until now though!

amandacathleen said...

Yay you!

Disentangled said...

Yay! You look like you've been riding your whole life! Congrats on your new accomplishment :)

Laurel said...

i cannot stand how much I love this post...and how much I love you. Can we please be bike riding buddies???

jill said...

I am so excited for you-and you were stylish all the while! I had to learn right before going on my mission at the Waimanalo church building with my brothers. As soon as Kevin told me to steer with the handlebars instead of my torso-I got it. I felt so incredibly silly. But it has been one of my favorite past times since. Hooray for you Audrey!

Erin said...

I can't believe you didn't know how to ride a bike. How lame is that?

Can I learn next?

Adam and Bri said...

Well, young pupil, you did us proud! You were so, so brave — and look at you now! You're basically a bike rock star.

And Erin, you're next sister.

annzy said...

Awesome ~so McAwesome

tiennie said...

You are so awesome!! I had to watch the video again and again. Makes me giggle. :) Congratulations on finally learning how to ride a bike!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

That is so precious...I am so proud of you!

Windybrook Spinner said...

You are darling! What a fun post. Congratulations on learning a new skill and thanks for sharing your great courage.

Megs said...

oh! I'm jus so proud. Although now I have one less thing to make fun of you about. I'll be sure to tell mike, he'll be very happy to hear you are now 2-wheel mobile.

Jane said...

Great post Kara! I'm so excited for you that you're getting into cycling. I just LOVE my bike (it's a Dutch bike with a step-through frame and a kickass wicker basket on the front - more often filled precariously full with textbooks and groceries than a jauntily angled baguette, though!). My bike has a full chain-guard to stop it from chewing up skirts - something I'd recommend! I cycle around London all the time and although I was scared at first, you soon find the routes you're comfortable with. It's so liberating and wonderful to go for a bike ride on a beautiful day, and to sail serenely past the grumpy-looking people who are waiting for the bus. Hee!

Can't wait to see you all settled into your new apartment (apartment? condo? I've never figured out the difference...and I'd probably call both a flat anyway!). I know nothing about SLC and would be really interested to see and hear about it, so you must share all as you get reacquainted with it!

Happy weekend! :)

sulafaye said...

Such inspiration you provide! And of course smiles, I grinned through the whole post. Congrats on conquering a new feat, and enjoy your cruises down the streets of the city! :)

Meg said...

Look at you accomplishing stuff! I'm so proud!

Cobbalicious said...

A friend of mine learned to ride last Xmas at the age of 27. Her first bike is in fact pink with a flower basket in front. Hey, if it helps you learn, right?

CassiLou said...

Hip Hip Hooray! You know you used to make me cry because you wouldn't ride bikes with me? I know you have had bad experiences with bikes before. It's great that you have conqured a new challenge! I am so excited for you. I just saw the cutest bubble gum pink cruise in a store window two days ago. I was telling matt he needs to buy it for me. If he does then you and I will have to go for a ride!!

Robin said...

Thanks for the videos, this was a seriously entertaining post! Oh, and Yay Kara!

WandaWoman said...

Good for you for learning how to ride! That's awesome!

ali said...

good one Kara, you almost had me ;)

martha said...

Yay! congratulations.

Heidelweiss said...

Where is your helmet young lady!? My very favorite part is that on your solo journey, you literally rode off into the sunset! What perfection.

KeanaLee said...

YEAH YOU! Can't wait to see the condo!

Julie said...

Yeah, Kara! I remember that college bike riding attempt. Glad you got it!

Sara Kirby said...

Haha, that's awesome! Congratulations.

I recently tried to ride a bike after 10 years of not and I was shocked at how much skill I had lost!

Way to go, you're on your way to soaring!

Kirby

Nonnahs said...

Go Kara!! And hey, don't feel too bad - I was never really a bike rider, either, and I'd be scared to get on one now. I was always more the roller skate type (skates, mind you, not blades...yeah, I'm old).

ps: Thanks - now I have that song in my head. :p Ha!

i am said...

holy smokes...i leave town and all hell breaks loose.

congrats kara! so so awesome! :D

Tracy said...

What a proud day! Kara learned to ride her bike. You made me laugh hard- you are so cute. Also, congratulations on your new job and condo. Sounds like you had a fabulous vacation. Next time I make it out to SLC I would love to see your new place.
Love, Tracy

SmallandCheery said...

Niice!

Bear Knits said...

You are too cute!

Diane said...

Kara! I am so proud of You! Everyone should know how to ride a bike. I learned to ride my bike in March, during snow and cold. However, my bike was second old!
Love you!
Mom

Melanie said...

Well let me be the 36th person to tell you that I think it is awesome that you decided it was time to learn. I am not sure I would have had the courage to learn, but when you have a dream of carefree bike-riding days...

Natalie said...

My dad taught my mom to ride a bike... she was 27! Growing up she had three older brothers who didn't want her to be able to follow them, so they refused to teach her how!

She made sure that her kids learned early.

Jeff, Nicole, and Sydney said...

You were practically perfect in every way, and now that you know how to ride a bike, perfection is yours! Congrats Kara on not only that, but on your new job, and taking the plunge into home ownership!

Kaet said...

i love riding my bike! it is great fun and good exercise too! not to mention good for our planet! i hope you grow to love it as much as me. and don't we really all fashion ourselves as audrey? :)

Kellee said...

Great work.