Monday, August 18, 2008

Jobs, Condos, and Hawaii...oh my!

Oh yeah, I have a blog. I forgot. Life has been a little crazy since I have been back from my escapade across the pond. Crazy how? I went to Hawaii, got a job, and bought a condo (not necessarily in that order). WARNING: Long blog post about me, me, me. No knitting talk can be found therein. But it's coming, I swear.

When I got back, I knew I had to make some tough decisions. Do I stay, do I go? I love Salt Lake City--it has family, friends, and a really cool scene that seems to only get better and better (yes, I'm still talking about the SLC). But I still had some of that good ol' wanderlust. Maybe I should head out to San Fran (one of my favorite places ever) or try something on the east coast? So I threw my resume out to all the big cities and waited to see what would stick.

At the same time, I went into my old office to go to lunch with some friends. A couple hours later, I walked out with a job offer. I didn't know what to think at that point. It was a great offer and deserved some serious thought. That's when I sat down and made a list of my dream lifestyle. And you know what? That list made me realize that my dream life could happen almost anywhere. It was just up to me to carry it out.

With this realization in mind, I started looking at potential rentals in the cities I'd sent applications too. I just wanted to see what was out there and what I could afford. That was, not surprisingly, a little sad. Then I thought, What the heck, let me see what's out there in SLC? That's when I found it, right there on the internets. My home. Everything about it was perfect, the size, the style, and especially the price. It was so me.

So I went and showed the listing to my dad, who was in town at the time. I said to him, "I would be very happy staying in SLC if I could live here." He became just as excited. Now my dad is not the most spontenous man. In fact, he is normally very thoughtful and deliberate. It's one of the reasons I trust him completely. But within 48 hours of showing him the condo online, we had made an offer. Very spontanous. Yet not impulsive. Although it was very fast, it never once felt wrong. (Oh, and did I mention these 48 hours took place before our 10-day family trip to Hawaii? The timing couldn't have been crazier.)

So with making an offer on a condo, it was pretty clear that I was staying in SLC. That is when I officially accepted the job at my old office. (Apparently, the mortgage people don't like to give out loans to the unemployed. Nutty, right?) Little did I know that the company was going through a hiring freeze. In theory, they could not have hired me. But somehow, it all worked out. It just again confirmed that this is the right thing for me to do.

So with all those big decisions settled in such a short time, I headed off to Hawaii with my family. This was the first trip back as an entire family since we had moved from O'ahu eight years ago. We had such a fun time eating, laying on the beach, swimming, eating, shopping, hiking, watching movies, talking, and, of course, eating.

Above all, the trip was about ohana ("Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind" Darn you Lilo & Stitch! That part makes me cry every time.). As a family were were able to celebrate my grandpa's 90th birthday, show my brother-in-law and the kiddles the place where we grew up, and just enjoy being together. Thanks mom and dad for making that possible. You guys are amazing.

So, that's it. All my big life decisions buttoned up for the time being. Phew! Now I can just get on with with the funnest bit, living.

35 comments:

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow! congratulations! I think it does mean it was all meant to be since it all fell so smoothly into place.

Amy said...

congratulations! it's so nice when things fall into place. I'm looking to make some changes and it's not going so smoothly. you've given me the motivation to persevere! (Welcome Back!)

tiennie said...

Wow wow wow! Congratulations on everything!

We were just going for a drive about 11 years ago and ended up spontaneously buying a house - nuts! But it was the right decision and we love where we are!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Congratulations! What a great feeling to have things fall into place like that. Um, you don't know me, but I'm in the Ewe-tah Knits ring and I really enjoyed reading Erin's blog about your exciting travels in Europe, so here I am reading your blog now too. I'm totally jealous of your living in England for four months. I'm not much into travel, but the British Isles is the one place I have to go before I die. I'll even put up with riding an airplane to get there someday, though I am hoping that if I wait long enough someone will invent teleporting first.

craftoholic said...

Congratulations, how exciting! When I visited SLC a month ago, I really liked it, it seemed like such a nice and relaxed place, and the people were super friendly!

Amanda said...

I heard the update through Bri, but it was just so exciting to read about everything in your voice!

Now that you are grounded for a while, please say we can have an uber-fun girls' night sometime soon...pretty please? I'll bring the BR!

Erin said...

Amanda, I don't like you talking about "uber-fun" anything without me being there! So stop it.

And Kara, you know I am happy for you. Making decisions are hard but you did it!

Nonnahs said...

OMG, look at you! CONGRATS!! I just love it when stuff just works out like that- totally meant to be. :) And, you got to go back to Hawaii, too- nice! (I started getting so hungry for food from home as I read this post- it doesn't take much.) Anyway, SO happy for you! Yay! :)

ty and megs said...

yea kara! looks like the stars aligned for you! i'm so glad everything worked out so well. i can't wait to see pictures of the new place.

love you!

Stacy said...

Congrats!! Sounds like you are excited about some big life changes - that is wonderful!

Laurel said...

Bravest.
Girl.
Ever.

Glad to have you back!!

Adam and Bri said...

I love everything about this post! Welcome home, babe. SO glad to have you back.

the Lady said...

Congratulations!

Stephanie said...

WOOT! Congratulations! It sounds like a busy last little bit! It really does sound like it was all meant to be. I love it when it works out like that :)

Melissa said...

Just the other day I was wondering how you were doing -- and wow! Congratulations!! It all sounds really exciting!

Kelly said...

Yay congrats! Its awesome how things that are mean't to be come together so quickly!

Disentangled said...

Congrats! How exciting! It is truly wonderful when things just come together that way :-)

Chef Messy said...

Oh my gosh, when I first read this, I thought you had got a job and bought a condo IN Hawaii! Haha. Anyway, glad things are working out for you! Good luck on the new job!

Chef Messy said...

Oh my gosh, when I first read this, I thought you had got a job and bought a condo IN Hawaii! Haha. Anyway, glad things are working out for you! Good luck on the new job!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

WOW...Congrats...Welcome home! I think you just made a lot of people very happy that you won't be an ocean away anymore...you are so loved! We would love to see you soon too...we missed you at our dinner with your Mom, Bri and Julianne, but sounds like you were pretty busy that night making all this happen! I want the rest of the story too...tell us about your job, pictures and details of the perfect condo, etc. Since you are on a roll and kind of like the Swami of decision making right now, can you make some decisions for me too? Let's get together soon! Love ya!

Miriam said...

I'm glad to hear you'll stay in SLC. I love it here! But when will you be coming back to knitting? ;)

Heidelweiss said...

You forgot the part about how your now the co-president of the coolest knitting group ever (well, it will be the coolest someday). Love the post, gave me chills-I love when things work out for the people I love!

Heidelweiss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Congrats! It's so nice how things that are truly meant to be have a way of working out so quickly and out of nowhere. Now I want to see pics of your place!:)

CassiLou said...

So I want to know what colors are in your house. How is someone supposed to get you a house warming pressie if we know NOTHING about your house. Pics please! Mahalo! Love ya tons. I am so jealous of you. I want my own house.

KeanaLee said...

Yowza! & congrats. When I first read the title I though you bought the condo in Hawaii, I was like WOW she made a split decision. But alas it was it SLC. Good for you. Can't wait to see pics of the new place!

Durrett Family Band said...

I wish I could be in SLC right now and get a tour of your new place. You amaze me.

Margene said...

Yay!! Yay for us! You're staying here...we do have a great scene, eh? Come to SnB or Knit Night when you can catch your breath!

sula said...

Wonderful! I'm so excited for you, and can't wait to here more about the new digs! Congrats on making some really big decisions with such class.

ali said...

ooo--I want to see the condo, you should post pictures!

amandacathleen said...

how exciting!

Meg said...

That is truly an amazing series of events! When things happen like that, you just know that you're making the right decision.

Susan said...

What a whirlwind! Congrats on your job & new home.

WandaWoman said...

Congrats on the new job and home. When it's meant to be, it all comes together beautifully, doesn't it? :-)

Kaet said...

i am so happy for you as i read this. what an amazing year for you! you should be so proud of yourself.