Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tangled Yoke Cardigan

Well lookie, lookie! I got me a Tangled Yoke Cardigan. (That muffled noise you hear in the distance is Erin shouting, "Oh thank goodness! She still knits!")

I love this cardigan. It is just lovely, like something you would pick up at Anthropologie. I think I prefer wearing it open, like above. But I can also button it up if the occasion calls for it (i.e. I spill salsa on my shirt).

All buttoned up...well, mostly. Looks like I missed one.

This is one of those knits that you really have to push through to finish. Each stage is an exercise in persistence, from the ribbing to the stockinette stitch to the cabling (well, the cabling was fun, but when there are over 400 stitches per row it can be a little much). But in the end, you have a very wearable knit that requires no seaming. Oh, the genius that is the great Eunny.

So here are the stats...

Pattern: Tangled Yoke Cardigan by Eunny Jang
S
ource: Interweave Knits, Fall 2007
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed, in Melody
Made for: Moi
Size Made: 38" bust
Needle Size: US 5, 4 and 2 circulars
Date Started: August 2007
Date Completed: September 3, 2008* (See note below)
Modifications: Lengthen, lengthen, lengthen. For this sweater, I just added 2 rows at every interval. For example, if the pattern said "Knit 17 rows," I would knit 19. It seemed to work ok and resulted in a sweater that is long enough for me.
Issues: Looks like there is a little puckering around the cabling...maybe I need to block it again.


Ok, Fall, I am ready for you now.

*Well, according to my Ravelry page for this knit, this cardigan has been over a year in the making. Umm...yeah. Confession time. I just didn't knit at all this year. With all my travels you would have thought that would have a been a perfect time for me to knit my little heart out. But alas, that was not the case. I think I may be a nester-knitter, meaning I knit when I feel settled. Now that I have my new place, I will be doing lots and lots of nesting. That means a resurgence of knits. Did I mention the LYS is only three blocks away?

42 comments:

Diane said...

Kara, this is a stunning cardigan. I love the color, the style and the cables look wonderful. I am so happy that you finished it--great timing for fall! Love the background for showing off your FO! I am glad the knitting world is not losing you to other things. You have a talent for knitting beautiful things!

the Lady said...

Oooh, score on the geographical location of lys! Lovely cardi, it looks lovely.

Meg said...

Gorgeous sweater! New place, new sweater... I'd be saying "bring it on" too!

Zannah said...

That's absolutely beautiful (et toi - tu es belle aussi)! Just more proof of the amazingness that is you.

Jane said...

I love it! It's gorgeous. That colour really suits you too :)
I wonder if I might be a nester knitter too - I'd never heard the phrase before, but it clicks with me.

Margene said...

Beautiful job and one you'll wear and wear!

Cobbalicious said...

No seaming??? I'm casting on today!

Also, is that your new condo? It looks awesome!

amanda said...

wonderful!
congrats on getting this finished it looks lovely on you :)

bring on fall!!

Nonnahs said...

Dude! You finished it! It looks great! And, don't feel too bad about how long it took- you may or may not remember that I started mine around the same time as you and mine is still in the WIP basket, sleeveless. I don't know what it is, I can't psyche myself up to knit those damn sleeves! Perhaps after the wedding shawl...

Disentangled said...

Woo, Hoo! Came out great! I can see you wearing that sweater a ton! :)

Windybrook Spinner said...

It's wonderful and I love the color on you. Good job sticking with it to the end.

Erin said...

I almost can't believe you finished it. It makes me very very happy you nester knitter.

Also, it is GORgeous. It looks so fab on you. I might have to pick mine up again...

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

Your sweater is fabulous! I love the whole outfit and the backdrop and the model!

Sara Kirby said...

Tangled Yoke, so jealous! I would never be able to forge ahead and get through all that. It would definitely sit in my knitting basket for more than a year once the thrill had worn off.

But it looks simply divine, great job!

The Happy College Knitter said...

oh.em.gee. It looks absolutely smashing dahling! I'm so happy you're back in the game!

You know what? I'm a nesting knitter too... I'm glad I'm not alone!

Steph said...

The sweater is lovely. No worries about the year in the making - I just finished a sweater this summer that took me about 3 years. It was neglected only because I didn't want to do the last little bit of embroidery on it.

Lauren said...

It looks great!

Laurel said...

IT looks great!
YOU look great!
YOUR NEW PLACE looks great!

invite me over, will you?

ty and megs said...

love the cardi! although it is making me sweat looking at it! it is so stinkin' hot in boston right now! i'm sitting here melting in my pjs that i have been wearing all day (it's 8pm) not wanting to move other than to wipe the sweat from my brow...

where are you fall weather?

Tracy said...

Kara-
This sweater is absolutely gorgeous! You are amazing- it is very Anthropolgie looking.

ali said...

ok, I quit knitting. There's no way I'll ever be as good as you and Erin!

sula said...

Oh, but it is so worth it! The look, the fit, the color--perfect! Hooray! You are just on fire with all of the excitement of endings & new beginnings over there!

Heidelweiss said...

When did you do this? Whilst not painting? I LOVE it! You look fab! See you soon.

tiennie said...

This is gorgeous! Looks so good on you. I'm going to knit this someday too!

Zonda said...

I agree, looks great on you! Good color and kudos for finishing a sweater on teeny tiny needles in my book! :)

amandacathleen said...

it looks fantastic on you! Great sweater

Adam and Bri said...

I'm so late to the party, but oh how I love this cardigan! Absolutely fabulous, dah-ling.

KeanaLee said...

Looks great! Erin over at House On Hill Road is trying to get through hers, she is very frustrated, stop over & see her, give her some encouragement. How's the flat!?

a friend to knit with said...

absolutely perfect!!!!
it looks fabulous on you!

aquaknits said...

It's beautiful!! I'm stuck on the sleeve ribbing, but your gorgeous result may just be the kick in the butt I needed. Love the color you chose too!!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

would you knit it again? this is in my queue and it's beautiful!

Julie said...

So pretty! I must learn how to knit. :)

WandaWoman said...

Beautiful job Kara! It looks great.

Kaet said...

i LOVE it! it looks so cool on you too!

rachel iufer said...

AMAZING! your tangled yoke is perfect and beautiful and looks great on you. i really want to finish mine but my dog tore a hole in it and it makes me sad every time i pick it up...

you've inspired me to just fix it! great sweater! (your flat is amazing too, i'm jealous!)

nova said...

I think it looks fantastic! I really need to get around to knitting this...I do have the yarn for it, afterall...

Jonathan said...

My mother in law and wife are going crazy over your cardigin (sp?) so I guess you got some mad skills!!

Hallstrom

Octopus Knits said...

Lovely! And congrats on the new job, condo, etc. :)

Jeanne said...

Very nice sweater!

Arctic Knitter said...

Beautiful! Stumbled over from Tiennie knits - a great blog to find! Love the sweater - no seaming? I'm all over that! I think I'll go over & pull out that issue of IK.

Amander said...

Um, more Kara updates please. And pretty, pretty please can we hang out soon?

Kuulei said...

Kara: it is a beautiful cardigan....awesome talent and skill.