Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Flat: The Dining Room and Kitchen "After" Edition

This past month, I've been nesting. Oh, how I've been nesting. So instead of knitting, I have some FOs of a different kind to share. Today, I am going to show off my Dining Room and Kitchen.

First off, the dining room. Here's the before and after shot...

I said so long to the gothic black chosen by the previous owner and slapped on a gray teal (technically, it's Behr's Bayside). It is amazing how different that room feels now.

In addition to the paint, I have experienced a dining room miracle. I've been obsessed with these Bamboo Chippendale Chairs by Jonathan Adler since I've seen them all over my favorite design magazines and blogs. But come on, $550 dollars a piece? There's no way. So I happened to be walking by my favorite consignment store one night after work. I looked through the window and what did I see? My bamboo chairs! Of course the store was closed. So I had to go home and spend the whole night obsessing over them. How much were they? How many of them did they have? What if someone else bought them before me? After a restless sleep, I headed off to the store so I could be there right after they opened. I come to find out they had four chairs at $75 each. The heavens opened right then and there and angels began to sing the Hallelujah chorus. I bought the lot and took them home that day.

They need some TLC, some repainting, and definitely some new upholstery, but other than that, they are perfect.

So now I got the chairs of my dreams, I just need to find a table.

Next up, the kitchen. I have always, always wanted a Robin Egg's Blue Kitchen. So really, what was stopping me? Here's the before and after...

FYI, I used Behr's River's Edge for my kitchen.

Isn't it just the cutest? It makes me happy every time I go in there to cook. (Yes, mom, sometimes I cook.) Oh, and do you see that little cubby?


Well, here's a closer look...

This is my little cubby of cuteness. I got that tea cup in a great art gallery in Malmo, Sweden when Erin and I were there. I collect tea cups, so picking up this one was a no brainer. It was so cute that Erin had to get one too. The cubby also has my notebook recycled from a vintage book, and of course, my little deer one. (Oh, how I heart Etsy!)

So those are just a couple of rooms I've have been working on. I have some more showing off to do, but that will have to wait for another post.

30 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

Those chairs are incredible! I love them. Your walls are lovely & that is a wonderful cubby-of-happiness. Thanks for sharing.

Steph said...

Love the colours! Gorgeous. Those chairs would look adorable with velvety covers...

The cubby is precious. I'd love to build some into my kitchen when we get around to renovating it!

Re: Malmo - My husband's old band recorded a song called "Malmo". Love the teacup. It suits the song.

Heidelweiss said...

Oh, I do love it. I'm so happy you've an excuse for being a Noknit. When do I get to see in in person? Tell me? (Please read this comment with a British accent).

Kelly said...

Love those blues!! Yummy yummy!
Isn't it wonderful when you find something you've been dreaming about for so long????
Great chairs can't wait to see what fabric you get for them!

Margene said...

You are creating such a beautiful place. Robin's egg blue is my favorite color blue.

the Lady said...

How very exciting!

Adam and Bri said...

Absolutely gorgeous, dah-ling.

WandaWoman said...

I love the changes you've made to your new place. Good eye on finding your chairs. Totally awesome!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

One of the joys in life...finding something you really want for a great price...congrats! I look forward to more updates...love the cubby of cuteness!

Melanie said...

I'm in love with your kitchen! I love the color with the black and white floor, and then the cubby to top it all off! I wish we could come see it in person.

KeanaLee said...

So happy 4 u - everything looks wonderful! Love the Bayside paint!

Erin said...

Ohhh...the dining room looks SO fab! More! I need more!

ty and megs said...

love it kara! especially the robyn's egg blue. i too have always wanted a blue kitchen!! i can't wait to see more!!

Diane said...

Kara...the colors are spectacular! You have made inspired choices and I am like Erin...I can't wait to see more! Everything is perfect!

Stephanie said...

Love the new paint, love the chairs, love the cubby...love EVERYTHING!!!

jill said...

LOVE the chairs! Love the color! Raspberry coming soon?

Laurel said...

what does a girl have to do to get an invite?

ali said...

oooo-raspberry! That sounds nice!

I love the walls, and I have to admit the blue is much better than black (you probably still think I'm crazy for liking the black). Please please please please tell me though that you are keeping the kitchen floors intact, I so love them, I have always wanted black and white checked kitchen floors (not that you have to keep them because I have always wanted them, but it's worth a try).

Encore!

Meg said...

Wow, that looks so great! I especially love the blue kitchen with the black and white floor!

Heather Joins The Round said...

Fabulous, you! You have great color sense.

Nantucket Dreams said...

yay! you're back! the place looks AMAZING! it is the most perfect apartment ever...i hope you are comfy and happy there. your hard work is paying off!

Durrett Family Band said...

I'm totally digging the colors. Plus, I've heard blue in the eating area is supposed to curb your appetite. Thank you John Tesh. So, beautiful and diet enhancing all at the same time. Not that you need it. You are gorgeous.

Disentangled said...

How fun!! And those chairs were clearly meant to be yours! :)

tiennie said...

I love it! I want to come visit and hang out in your beautiful rooms. I have the River's Edge in my craft room! :)

a friend to knit with said...

i am totally in love with your place! and that kitchen floor! with that blue! ahhh! and yes! your chairs, too!

Octopus Knits said...

Looks great so far! How cool about the chairs :)

Nonnahs said...

Dude! Nice score on those chairs! And, I adore that robin's egg blue kitchen! Yay for nesting! :)

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh my gosh! I love your flat, its so beautiful! and I really love what you're doing with it! you have great taste!

amandacathleen said...

what.a.great.steal on those chairs! They are perfect! What a change a coat of paint can make. Although I'm scared to ask how many coats did it take to cover up that black!
Cutest cubby eva! Its so cute and cheerful, love it.

Cobbalicious said...

You have impeccable taste! I love it all.