Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lizzie Bennet, super hero

On the coat tales of the Austenbook link last week, I thought I would share some more awesome Jane news. Marvel is releasing a comic book version of Pride and Prejudice in April. I know! I am geeking out hard core. They released the cover image here.

I have to admit, I had a secret love for comic books growing up. (Yeah, my mom remembers very well taking me into grimy comic book stores to get Marvel trading cards and the latest Rogue comic. Thanks, mom.) I kept it all pretty hush, hush until, well, I guess now. There is no shame admitting that I am psyched about reading Jane Austen in comic book form. I can't help think that that Jane herself would get a kick out of it.

Much thanks to the Austen Blog that keeps me apprised of such things.

PS - If you too are a fan of comics or graphic novels, check out Repunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale. It's a rootin' tootin' retelling of the Rapunzel fairy tale set in the Wild, Wild West. Repunzel is no longer the helpless girl stuck in the tower waiting for a prince, but a strong, independent girl armed with a lasso made of her hair. It's a hoot! But don't take my word for it...

10 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

That Pride and Prejudice comic is awesome!! Bingleys Bring Bling to Britian... LOL!!

- Julie

Erin said...

A Pride and Prejudice comic is good news indeed.

Windybrook Spinner said...

I'm so glad you like Rapunzel's Revenge. I agree that it is very awesome. I think the P&P comic book sounds fun. Thanks so much for the Facebook P&P link. I lauged so hard my husband thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Maybe there is, but I LOVED it. =)

CassiLou said...

Rogue?!? I was always jealous of your Katy Keen collection! I have a strange feeling my Kalena will lov Jane Austen. (She gets mad when we forget to do her homework.) I just got my mom the BBC Jane Austen collection for $26 including the long version of P&P at Costco. Not too Shabby. Love ya!

Adam and Bri said...

Nerd alert! Nerd alert!

But it only makes me love you more.

Kristine said...

This is awesome! Makes me want to run home & watch Pride & Prejudice right now!! FYI, I love what you've done to your new place! The colors are brilliant!

Heidelweiss said...

Wow, did you just quote "Reading Rainbow"? I love it. I'm going to go right out and get me one of those P&P comic books when they come out (where does one get such a thing?).

Kara said...

This is why we are friends. You know a good Reading Rainbow quote when you see it.

tiennie said...

I love it! Lizzie Bennet superhero!

Meredith Whitney said...

Ummmm...I have known you for TEN (10!) years. I have talked to you almost EVERY SINGLE DAY for the past 10 years. And I have no idea about this hush hush COMIC BOOK interest. I feel like we have been married for like 30 years and I find out this crazy little secret. Wow.