Saturday, February 21, 2009

Putting the "stress" in seamstress

During Erin and I's weekend sewing extravaganza, we each decided to make a pair of lounge pants and a skirt. I know, totally fun. Coming off of the lounge pants high, I dived right on in to making my skirt. Maybe I shouldn't have dived so quickly, cause after cutting the pattern pieces I realized that I cut the fabric upside down. So basically, it looked like this...

Sadly, birds don't hang upside down. If only they were bats.

I was devastated. I couldn't believe I ruined my skirt even before I sewed it. I did consider making the upside-down skirt anyway, but knowing me, it would have driven me mad. After giving me sufficient time to pout, Erin offered to buy my fabric, saying she could easily use it for another project. Then we agreed to go back to the store first thing the next morning and re-buy my fabric. That way I could make the skirt just right. (Big sisters always know how to fix things, huh?)

Back at the store, I found my fabric again. But then, of course, this caught my eye...

Yikes, Bikes!

How could I leave it behind? So Erin and I determined to make 3 skirts in one day (the third one being Erin's). We knew it would be a huge feat, but we were up to it. After working out some kinks, learning some new skills, and dealing with the Invisible Zipper Fiasco of 2009, we were victorious.

See?




BTW, here are the stats...

Pattern: Barcelona Skirt (A-line version)
Source: Amy Butler
Fabric: Echino's "Dew Birds" in Eggplant and "Bikes in the Clouds" by KOKKA
Made for: Moi
Extras: Invisible zippers
Date Started AND completed: February 16, 2009

30 comments:

the Lady said...

Cute skirts, nice pins!

Zannah said...

Just wanted to mention that you have gorgeous legs. Gorgeous!

Knitting4Bella said...

Beautiful skirts. I also viewed your sisters blog, she's got some skill which is showing to rub off on you. The positive thing about accidently cutting the fabric upside down is you'll probably never do it again, might as well learn it the hard way to never do it again. Love your fabric choices too, fighting the urge to mimic and go check the fabric stores around me

Martha in California said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha in California said...

take two...

Great job on the skirts! Pretty.
Don't fret about the mistake. I've done plenty of upside cutting before with corduroy pants. Not an easy fix, luckily I had extra fabric.
What's next on your sewing queue?

JujuBean said...

I love your skirts. I haven't done a zipper since 8th grade sewing class with Miss Miller. I'm so proud of you for jumping right in. I hope you have the pattern book, I'd love to borrow it! Again, you're amazing!!

Tracy said...

ok- you are amazing! You just picked up sewing and you are already making lounge pants and adorable skirts. You've got talent girl! All I can make are straight lines- pillows, table cloths, curtains. You are so daring- I love it. I'm glad you had a great time with Erin. Oh- and I love all your Target purchases. Don't you just love that Target?

Jodi said...

Sewing success! I especially like the brown skirt.

BTW, wouldn't it be heavenly if there were Orla Kiely fabric?!?!

Meg said...

Love it! The pattern, the fabric, the shoes, and, incidentally, the rug in front of the fireplace. I wish I could find fabric as cool as that around me. Is it a printed cotton or something else?

Better Living said...

Yowza! An invisible zipper on your FIRST SKIRT?! What pluck! What will you do next, move to a foreign country for six months? (Oh, wait...)

:D

WandaWoman said...

Cute skirts! I love that first one the most. Way to go with the sewing!

Amander said...

Oh my gosh - those skirts are so totally adorable!!!!

tiennie said...

Those are so cute!

Think of it this way - you'll always remember now to measure twice, cut once - and I bet you'll never make that mistake again!

annzy said...

oh i love the miss cut... it is all too familiar.

Zonda said...

Been there on the cutting front! Love the skirts, cute! :)

ty and megs said...

nothing but love for those skirts! they fit so cute! i'm thinking i need to make me one {or 5}.

ali said...

WOW! Invisible zippers already!! Look at you girl! I couldn't see the upside down birds pic for some reason, but I feel your pain.

The skirts are beautiful!

sula said...

Your skirts look fabulous (as do you!). Isn't putting the start and completion date the same a great feeling?? Love your fabrics, too!

Stacy said...

So fun!! You're inspiring me to move that trip to JoAnn's up on my to do list so I can get some sewing in!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

oh, sewing trauma...hate it...but you turned it into sewing success! Love the outcome...it makes me want to sew a skirt too! Hey, I want to know why I'm the only one that got the "Hallstrom legs"...yours are gorgeous by the way!

susan said...

Clearly, the "I's" have it.

amandacathleen said...

those are a pair of fantastic skirts! Love the fabric that you picked out, I totally understand the bikes. You couldn't leave those behind!
Honestly though, I didn't see the birds in the first photo until you said they where upside down! *L*
Anyway, a big pat on the back goes to you. Invisible zippers are a bitch!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Totally darling.

Durrett Family Band said...

Love, love, love the skirts. They're darling. Especially since you recently mastered the skill of bike riding, it is only appropriate that you celebrate it with a whimsical skirt.

Adam and Bri said...

you look fab in those skirts.

and "yikes, bikes!" made me smile.

Heidelweiss said...

I love the skirts!!!!!! Look how great you look in them. Je t'aime your legs!

Sara Kirby said...

Those are perfect weekend skirts! I've a few on my to-do list for the summer also. Congrats on the invisible zipper, those can be tricky.

Nonnahs said...

Adorable skirts!

Stephanie said...

I love them! I love love love skirts, it never occured to me to try to make my own!

Meredith Whitney said...

I love that I talk to you almost EVERY DAY and yet I come onto your blog and your secret life unfolds...my little seamstress! So seemy...