Wednesday, May 13, 2009

30.

Well, I've gone and done it. I turned 30. Really, it was bound to happen sometime. So I might as well embrace it. So to celebrate, I figured I'd write 30 tidbits from the past 30 years. Highlights of, well, me.

In chronological order (kinda)...
  1. Was born (and raised) in Honolulu, Hawaii.
  2. Learned to walk...on my knees.
  3. Got in a bicycle accident with my brother when I was three, and I cracked my head open. Because I was so tall, the doctor mistook me for being six and yelled at me for not being a "big girl" when I cried and wouldn't stay still for stitches. On top of that, Erin was mad at me cause we couldn't go see Lady and the Tramp at the drive-in.
  4. In sixth grade, I got into Punahou School. (The alma mater of our current President.) Go Puns!
  5. In seventh grade, I got the lead in the school play, "Sorry, wrong number." A fabulous murder mystery reminiscent of fim noir. I gave a very layered performance.
  6. Got my ears pierced when I was 12. My mom took me to Merle Norman.
  7. Was in the select choir all throughout school. I was an Alto.
  8. Watched the 5-hour version of Pride and Prejudice, changing my life forever.
  9. Did not go to my senior prom. Sadly, it was not some political statement. Just a tragic case of no one asked me.
  10. Got accepted to and attended Brigham Young University.
  11. Saw snow for the first time freshman year of college.
  12. Backpacked Europe after my sophomore year. Between the hostels and Eurail passes, I fell in love with travelling.
  13. Was a Math Education major. For one day.
  14. Had many bad dates and unrequited crushes.
  15. After reading "The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman," I decided that I wanted to write young adult fiction.
  16. Took my first of many trips to Asia. To date, I've been to Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, China, Indonesia, and Thailand.
  17. Did a study abroad in London my senior year. Vowed that I would return.
  18. Received a BA in English, with a writing emphasis.
  19. Made the move to Salt Lake City with one of my best friends, Susan.
  20. Bought my very first car. A Honda Civic.
  21. Got into advertising. As a receptionist at first, but later worked my way up to senior copywriter.
  22. Discoverd my ability to look great in hats. Seriously, it's my super-hero power.
  23. Walked on the Great Wall of China with one of my best friends, Meredith.
  24. Learned to knit.
  25. Quit my job and moved to London for five months. Just to "find myself." (See #17.)
  26. Went on a Scandinavian adventure with Erin. (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and we threw in Paris for good measure.)
  27. When the money ran out, I moved back to Salt Lake City, where I became a home owner.
  28. Learned to ride a bike at 29. Reason it took so long? Refer to #3.
  29. Learned to sew.
  30. Decided to start my 30s on the right foot, and treated myself to a trip to NYC. (In fact, I'm writing this post from my friend's apt in Manhattan.)
So happy birthday to me! It's been pretty great so far. But I'm excited to see what's in store for this next decade.

50 comments:

martha - ca knitter said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Wow and you're in Manhattan...exciting! If you get a chance, stop by Dylan's Candy Shop. I hear they have hard-to-find candy and from all eras, but a little pricey.
Enjoy your birthday trip!

Erika said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! This entry is just great!!! Well, throughout your backpack Europe I'm sure you didn't visit Ukraine (this is where I live but I'm actually Hungarian) so you are very welcome any time you would like to visit.
Boldog születésnapot!!! (it's happy B-day in Hungarian)

Love,
Erika

Adam and Bri said...

happy birthday, love. you mean more to me than I can type.

Diane said...

Happy birthday darling Kara...have a fabulous time in NYC! Love you always...

ty and megs said...

happy happy birthday kara! enjoy new york!

love ya!!

Jodi said...

Sounds like you've had 30 wonderful years so far! Here's to a happy birthday and many more adventures.

AmyArtisan said...

Happy Birthday & welcome to the your 30s!

#3 - I remember my sister biting off the tip of her tongue in the church nursery when she was 2 & it messing with our plans to see The Black Stallion at the movies that afternoon - ah, little sisters. :)

amanda said...

Happy 30th! 1979 was a good year . . . I turn 30, too, in November :)

Team Knit ! said...

Happy Birthday!!! That's so neat that you went to the same school as Obama. :)

- Julie

Amander said...

Aw, happy, happy birthday, Kara-lara! #3 made me laugh and made me sad for you. This list was GREAT! Hope you have fun in NYC!

margene said...

You've had more adventure in your life than I've had in twice the time! Happy Birthday!

CassiLou said...

#1, #4 and after #12 are things that make you so very special to me. I love you and I hope your birthday ROCKS!

Sara Kirby said...

Happy Day O'Birth and congrats on a wonderful 30 years so far. I completely envy your ability to travel like that. Wish I had the time and fun funds!

You are back on the east coast again! Welcome :)

Meg said...

Happy Birthday! That is quite the fabulous highlight reel you have going. To many more!

yaya said...

Happiest of Happy Birthday to you! I like 30, it's a good number :-)

Enjoy NYC!

Chef Messy said...

Happy Birthday! I'm turning 30 next month. Isn't it crazy? My husband likes to tell me how "old" I am, but I just look at it as good riddance to the awkward 20's!

jill said...

Seriously a full life! And just in the first 30 years. Have a blast in NYC. Happy Birthday cute cousin.

ali said...

Say hello to mood fabrics for me while you are in NYC.

And a happy happy birthday to you dear Kara! We think you are the coolest.

if it makes you feel any better, I asked my date to the Sr prom because no one asked me either. We tall girls have to take matters into our own hands sometimes!

Have a fun vacation!

Melanie said...

Manhattan seems like just the place to celebrate a birthday! We love you and hope you have a wonderful day. I want you to know Kevin remembers your birthday every year-he doesn't call-but he talks about it every year! Happy Birthday.

Stacy said...

Happy birthday!! It's wonderful to read so many little facts about you. I hope you have a wonderful time in NYC.

cappyt said...

So I gave Brett a bad time about the bike accident at work today. He told me about your mom telling off the Doc - love it!

Chancy said...

I envy your super-human power and commiserate with #9. I too did not go to the prom (cuz no one asked me). But the way I tell it is I skipped the prom and hung out and partied with friends all night. It's true and sounds much nicer and rebellious. ;)

Chancy said...

ps. Happy Birthday!!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Happy Birthday! You've fit a lot into those first 30 years. I love being in my 30's. Enjoy!

Disentangled said...

Happy Birthday!! May it be the best year yet!

tiennie said...

Happy 30th Birthday! You are an amazing person!

Cobbalicious said...

Happy Birthday! They tell me that the 30s are better than the 20s... Let's hope so. :)

Lulu said...

Happy Birthday..wow, enjoyed reading your list..Youre a seasoned traveler..
take pics of manhattan if you can..

Heidelweiss said...

That, my friend, is a fabulous list! I love it! I'm so glad you've lived 30 years and I can't wait to celebrate with you when you get back. Hoorrah!

Laurel said...

welcome to the 30's club.
it's delicious!

I adore you.
seriously.

Juli said...

HAPPY YOU DAY, KARA!!! Reading your list made me realize how great life is. You've had so many awesome adventures! Here's to the next 30 years of fun! *clink!*

Heather Joins The Round said...

Happy Birthday! The 30's ROCK! Enjoy.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

Happy Birthday...love the list and love you! Are you aware that Lauren Graham is playing Adelade in GUYS AND DOLLS right now on Broadway?! I really want to go, so please go for me...Enjoy NYC!

Erin said...

I LOVE this post. I think number 27 is funny: "I ran out of money...and became a home owner." Funny.

I am pretending it is not your birthday yet (since I can't be with you yet) but I will say happy early birthday!

I love you. So much.

sula said...

Happy Birthday!! What a great list--especially since P & P made your lifetime highlights!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful creativity with us.

the Lady said...

Wow, well-traveled! Happy birthday!

Knitting4Bella said...

Happy 30th Birthday, and may the next 30 years bring you joy, luck and lots of crafting.

Steph said...

Happy belated Birthday!

Being 30 is wonderful. All those people stuck at 29 don't know what they are missing!

KeanaLee said...

Happy Belated....I'm catching up on everyone! Hope it was fantastic!

Nantucket Dreams said...

happy birthday! if you have ever seen sex and the city, then you will get me when i say- welcome to my box!

you are truly 30 and fabulous!

t and britty said...

happy 30th from someone who is 30. it's pretty great!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Happy Birthday to you!

a friend to knit with said...

i am soooo late to your party!!!
SO sorry. traffic was TERRIBLE!!! : )

happy birthday... hope it was fabulous.

knitseashore said...

Happy Belated Birthday! 30 is good -- I think you grow more into yourself if that makes sense.

Re: #15: I *loved* that book. Young Adult lit is some of the best writing out there. Have you read the Amazon Papers or anything by Sarah Dessen? Love these books. Oh, and Joan Bauer too.

shopgirl said...

Geez, happy birthday. You seem to have your feet on the ground. I'll be happy to read your blog for the next decade.

amandacathleen said...

A very happy Birthday to you! Hope you had a great day :)

Octopus Knits said...

Happy (belated) birthday! What a fun list (but you do know you could have asked someone to the prom, right?) :)

P.S. Your robe is great fun -smart idea!

Valérie said...

I loved reading this. Happy belated!

Tracy said...

Oh dear Kara Bara- Happy belated Birthday! I seriously need to send you your belated gift. I loved your list of all the things you've done. I am so impressed with you! You've a writer, crafty chic, and travel woman who makes everyone laugh and feel loved. Miss you!

Meredith Whitney said...

Everytime I read this it just makes me smile. You are amazing. I miss you, dearly. But am just tickled pink you and you mom are abroad...