Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My little mermaids.

My new sewing machine and I did some serious bonding this past weekend. And the result? A robe!

I have a tendency to like fabric that just doesn't work for adult garments. For example, Mermaids! So cute on a little girl's dress, but might be a little too much whimsy for a grown woman in public. I think I found a nice loophole, however. There's no shame in having a whimsical robe. In fact, it's encouraged.

Here are the stats:

Pattern: Kimono Robe
Source: In Stitches by Amy Butler
Fabric: Heather Ross's Mendocino Mermaid Fabric in Aqua
Made for: Moi
Date Started: May 2, 2009
Date Completed: May 3, 2009
Mods: Even though I did the large size for the body of the robe, I used the sleeves for the medium size cause I ran out of fabric. But I actually prefer the sleeker sleeve, so it worked out. If I had it to do all over again, I might have just sewn the medium all around.

Pretty pleased with this robe. It was the first piece of clothing I sewed all by myself (meaning no one was there to look over my shoulder and correct my mistakes). So that in itself is an accomplishment. But to have it actually turn out cute, and be something I will wear...bonus.

PS...I know Erin made a robe too and I'm in danger of looking like a complete copy cat. In my defense, Erin told me to sew the robe. It's all part of her master plan for me not to sew anything new and fun until she moves back.

20 comments:

Kristine said...

This is adorable! It makes me want to take my hardly used sewing machine out of its case and go on a fabric hunt!!

Nantucket Dreams said...

i love it! mermaids on a robe is just too much fun! it really looks so cute on you and it will make you smile everytime you wear it!

jill said...

Faaaaabulous dahlink!

Jeff said...

With a little fluffy feather around the hem and a pair of fluffly feather houseslippers with kittne heals, it will be perfect.

Erin said...

That is right! Nothing fun and new until I am there to play too. I am glad you are listening to me.

Heidelweiss said...

OH. MY. GOSH! I love it completely. Mermaids? Are you kidding me? Where are you finding all your cute fabric? If you say the cute store in the SoJo I will kill you for not visiting me. That aside, LF

Heidi

ty and megs said...

love it! and love the whimsy. the perfect amount for a robe.

Adam and Bri said...

i want one. pretty please?

Better Living said...

Look at your MAD SKILLZ! That is wonderful. I failed to get my hands on any of the Mendocino line so I'm glad you have it.

Diane said...

When did you get all grown up and learn how to sew without ME teaching you? WOW...such perfection! I am, once again, humbly proud!

Windybrook Spinner said...

You two are so darling with all your awesome sewing projects. You almost make me want to do some sewing again. I adore the mermaid fabric.

Durrett Family Band said...

I am seriously behind on my commenting. Love the new sewing projects! How can you stop yourself from wandering around your house all day singing Part of Your World with that new robe on? Darling.

ali said...

very adorable! I love that fabric, I may have to use it for Greta (my loophole)--it's nice to have kids to sew for!

I need to start sewing things for myself...

Stacy said...

I love, love, love it!! So cute and I've adored that fabric for a while. Enjoy!

Juli said...

Good grief I love your fabrics!!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

there is nothing too whimsical for at home wear...props to you! (can you tell I've been watching American Idol?!)

Disentangled said...

I LOVE this pattern. I have some fabric tucked away for it myself. You guys are really making me itchy to sew it up! It looks great!

amandacathleen said...

love the mermaid fabric, it worked wonderfully for your robe! Great job too!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

I totally agree that whimsical is in order with a robe. Beautifully done.

Meredith Whitney said...

LOVE IT!!! You are whimsical and the mermaids perfectly reflect that. I think you are itching to visit me in SF with all of your nautical themed fabric! xoxoxo I'll see you in 30+ hours in NYC!