Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Built by Kara (via Wendy)

Ok, I know the title of this blog is "knitting lemonade" not "sewing lemonade" but I can't help myself. Just think of this blog as my creative space online, and there are lots of ways to be creative.

So in my sewing journey, it was time to move to someplace new...tops. After some really frustrating experimentation with elastic thread to make a top like this, I decided to switch gears and sew something that I understood, and was cute too boot. Enter this Built by Wendy top pattern.


Fast, easy, cute, and perfect for summer. I liked it so much I decided to make a tunic version...with pockets!


Isn't that fabric so vintage-y chic? I picked it up at purl patchwork when I was in NYC.

Ready for some stats?
Pattern:
Built by Wendy Top/Dress
Source: Built by Wendy
Fabric: Random floral fabric from JoAnn (top)/Windham fabrics-Feedsack V, Crosshatch Flower in brown (tunic)
Made for: Moi
Date Started: May 31, 2009 (top)/June 4, 2009 (tunic)
Date Completed: May 31, 2009 (top)/June 4, 2009 (tunic)
Mods: No mods for the top. For the tunic, I used the top pattern for the top half, the mini-dress for the bottom half and added pockets. Oh, and I left off the elastic for the sleeves.

Basically, I'm a real fan of this pattern. I already have plans to make the full-length dress. No one can accuse me of being a love-them and leave-them type. I just keep coming back!

22 comments:

Meg said...

I love that pattern. Actually, I've made the dress twice in the last year, but did not manage blog either. The dress is fantastically comfortable. I highly recommend it!

Diane said...

Darling, darling, darling! I love the tops...you are amazingly creative! Please post any and all of your creative projects...we, your fans, are never disappointed! Shall I look for some fabric for you today? Hmmmm...

Heidelweiss said...

They are completely adorable. However, if you ever mock me for my multiple knitting again, I will poke you in the eye with a knitting needle. Size #1 US.

the Lady said...

I heart your tunic. Tunics with pockets have been my uniform for the past 3 years. Love em.

Adam and Bri said...

oh, how i adore this. seriously.

i want a tunic version — with pockets!

aelva said...

I love the top and the tunic version! beautiful!

a friend to knit with said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE... both!
and to make something to wear in one day! fantastic.

Lauren said...

Those are both so cute!! Thanks for sharing :) I may have to dust off my machine!

Stephanie said...

Those look so great! It is nice to be able to whip something up so fast and have it fit! I have a date with my machine on Friday! I can't wait!

ali said...

I made that dress a while ago too--watch out for the neck ;)

Stacy said...

I love the sewing just as much as the knitting - keep it coming! Both the top and the tunic are great... and awesome fabric choices.

ty and megs said...

love it! i so want to make one! if only my belly weren't so big... guess i have a project lined up for NEXT summer!!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Absolutely darling!

tiennie said...

I love these tops too! I'm so going to raid your closet!

amandacathleen said...

complete love! Look at you go girl, your a sewing master!

martha - ca knitter said...

It's darling, Kara!

Durrett Family Band said...

You have outdone yourself. I adore the tunic.

Disentangled said...

very cute! i've got my eye on that pattern as well. i love in what a simple way it can jazz up a wardrobe.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

very cool top...tunic is adorable! as for the title of your blog...love it, it's perfect, don't change it!

knitseashore said...

So cute! The tunic looks very author-y!

Juli said...

So cute! And fun! And functional! And you know what kills me? I learned to sew years ago. I even took a class. And I still can't do more than make pillows and curtains and the odd Halloween costume. You rock!!

Nantucket Dreams said...

these tops and the skirt! cuteness! you are really a natural talent with this sewing thing!