Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Twisted Jane Austen

You're all aware for my affinity for the authoress known as Jane Austen. So it comes as no surprise that I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies--a mash-up of the classic romance with, well, zombies. You may be thinking, "Sacrilege, darling!" But actually, the story is quite fun. The author, Seth Grahame-Smith, still very much honors Jane's original text as his zombies or "unmentionables" go about attacking it.

So when I found out there was going to be a sequel, my curiosity was peaked. Enter Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Now I don't remember this story taking place on the seven seas, but maybe I just glossed over that part. (Now Persuasion on the other hand, has lots of seaside backdrops. Anne's love interest is even a sea captain in the Royal Navy. But what do I know?)

I have to wonder if this is a little bit of overkill. Like, once there's an original thought and it's a success, we have to run it into the ground before we think of something new. But who knows, it might be fun. Here is an interview with the NEW author. (Mr. Grahame-Smith has moved on, writing a biography of Abraham Lincoln as, of all things, a Vampire Hunter.)

Oh, and of course there's a trailer...



Pray, what do you think?

17 comments:

shopgirl said...

I LOVE Jane A. Love.
I have not read any of the fan-lit before, but I am told I should look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chancy said...

AWESOME! I'd never heard of the "and Zombies" version. I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

I thought the same thing as you did about the Sea Monsters...wouldn't it be much more appropriate with Persuasion? (PS. I think the 2007 version of Persuasion is my second favorite Jane Austen movie...behind the A&E version of P&P with Mr. Firth of course.)

Caprene said...

I'm still like number 25 of 55 on the wait list for P&P and Zombies at the library. It's gonna take for ever, but I'm excited to read it. I need reserve S&S and Sea Monsters now I think. Oh yeah!

tiennie said...

Well now I have to read those!

Adam and Bri said...

overkill. definitely overkill.

it's what i like to call the "alvin and the chimpmunks — the squeakuel" syndrome.

loved seeing you tonight.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

oh Heaven help us...too much for my BLOOD...hee! hee! hee!

Heather Joins The Round said...

Loved the book group discussion questions in the back.

ali said...

well the trailer was definitely a laugh!

I think it's an inventive way to ride on the coattails of someone else's success. :)

Windybrook Spinner said...

Okay. That was scary. How can Willouby be turned into a bloody pulp! Horror! I am going to be reading P&P&Z soon for reading group. I'm a little worried. =)

Jacey said...

Now that is hilarious. I love the Pride cover art.

Team Knit ! said...

My husband and I watched the clip for sense & sensibility & sea monsters this morning over toast, and nearly choked. Hilarious!!!

- Julie

Stephanie said...

Oh my, I almost don't have words for that trailer. I did see the zombie one a while ago and have been meaning to pick it up. If you are going to read all of books out there related to Jane Austen then you must include zombies and sea monsters!

martha - ca knitter said...

The first book cover look frightening, but the stories sound enjoyable... in a 'twisted' way.
;-)

Heidelweiss said...

I've been so tempted, so many times to pick up that book but I'm afraid I'll hate it. Guess I'll give it a try!

Durrett Family Band said...

I've seen the book everywhere but haven't picked it up yet. It's definitely on my wish list.

knitseashore said...

Not sure I'd personally like that, but it could be fun!

Quiet Storm said...

Love your page