Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Flat: The Dining Room Chairs "After" Edition

A project that has been a year in the making is finally done...my dining room chairs. You probably don't remember the miracle that lead me to find these chairs. But here is a quick recap:
I had been obsessed with these Bamboo Chippendale Chairs by Jonathan Adler. But $550 dollars a piece wasn't going to cut it. But I happened to be walking by my favorite consignment store one night after work. I looked through the window and I saw them. My bamboo chairs! I come to find out they had four chairs at $75 each. The heavens opened right then and there and angels began to sing the Hallelujah chorus. I bought the lot and took them home that day. They need some TLC, some repainting, and definitely some new upholstery, but other than that, they are perfect.
Fast forward to very recently and they were still in their original state. I'd even purchased the fabric for the chairs back in February. Darn my laziness! But I ran out of excuses two weeks ago. Winter's a coming and I needed to be able to paint them outside. So Erin and I, with help from my parents, decided to get these babies painted. We sanded them, primed them, and then spray painted them. After a couple of coats, I sent them off to the upholster to recover them and to redo the seat cushions. They were just delivered today...voila!

BEFORE:


AFTER:


Their original color was a dirty creme with brown distressed marks. So I really wanted them to be a high-gloss white. I thought that would look really chic and pop against the walls. And I think the fabric matches the color scheme I have going on pretty perfectly. (It is Joel Dewberry's Spade Damask fabric in Ivory from his Ginseng Collection.)

I think these chairs made my dining room very happy.

34 comments:

Adam and Bri said...

Ummmm, perfect! Seriously. You're so crafty.

Erin said...

They are perfect. That last pic particularly shows them off. Perfect!

Amander said...

They look so great! Good job Kara.

Durrett Family Band said...

They look stunning. Totally digging the fabric.

Marissa said...

They look incredible; love the fabric, and the whole room!

Team Knit ! said...

they look awesome!! great job.

- Juliw

martha - ca knitter said...

Yup, I agree, your dining room looks very happy!

CelticCastOn said...

They look fab, love the colour choice!

Stacy said...

I love them!! Good job!!

annzy said...

oh no ~they are so perfect but now that the flat is order what will you do with yourself?

accordingtojane said...

I would like to challenge you to make something which is NOT awesome. Bet you can't. Seriously, even your dining room chairs have bags of style. The whole room looks so so great.... I love it! In fact, I full-on covet it your entire flat :)

yaya said...

love, love, love!

jill said...

Of course I remember the miracle! How I love those chairs. I was praying for the same miracle to happen to me but those kind of things just can't happen twice! And I love the wall color! I think I said tat before but oh well. Carry on artiste, carry on.

Juli said...

I'm not surprised. Everything you do is beautiful!

Heidelweiss said...

You don't blog for months and the BLAMO! two posts in two days! How am I supposed to keep up? Well, the dishcloths are fantastic and the chairs are PERFECTION!!! Well done you.

ali said...

yes, I can see myself in that chair in front... no, not that one, the one on the left... eating something wonderful and laughing at something funny that you said....

(hint hint)

They look great! I wish I lived closer to a cool consignment store!

amandacathleen said...

They look AMAZING!! They couldn't get any more perfect. You have a very good eye! Love the fabric that you picked out too.

Windybrook Spinner said...

You have the best taste! I love how you have had so much fun redecorating your home and I can't believe you've already been there for a year. Congratulations!

Melanie said...

I have been waiting to see what you would do with those chairs! They are perfect.

Elizabeth said...

Dude: where do you get your fabrics? On your recommendation, I got that Project Runway machine, only to discover nothing but yucky chintz at the nearby Joann's. Is there a website you'd recommend?

Chancy said...

Loving the look of your dining room. Very nice.

Sara Kirby said...

Your chairs are gorgeous! Great fabric. I love your style :)

Melissa said...

The chairs look amazing as does the whole room!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

your dining room is definitely a happy place! where did you find your great fabric...for the chairs as well as your curtains? I am on the lookout for new family room curtains and need direction!

t and britty said...

just perfect! you all were made for each other.

tiennie said...

What fantastic finds! They look perfect there!

Better Living said...

So jealous of your freedom in paint colors! I need a flat that I own, too. :)

WandaWoman said...

Love the newly recovered chairs, the fabric is awesome!

Meredith Whitney said...

Worth the wait! Look AMAZING!!!!!! xoxo

knitseashore said...

I love the dishcloths in your previous post. They look so vintage-cool!

Do you have any suggestions for displaying vintage handkerchiefs? I have a number of these and I bet you'd know just what to do with them. I hate leaving them in the box.

Your home is so awesome. Do you have other projects planned or were you able to do everything you wanted?

KeanaLee said...

They look perfect! What a find!

marly said...

They are perfect! Your dining room pops with happiness. you are amazing Kara.
-Marly

Trisha said...

I have been wanting to recover my dining room chairs for, oh, a year now. :) You've inspired me again. Love the fabric!

jane said...

Hope you and those gorgeous chairs are still getting along swimmingly. I've just tagged you, if you would like to play along I would love to hear about 7 things that you love!