Thursday, January 14, 2010

Blog Love: Advertising for Love

Don't you just love finding new blogs? Especially ones that are doing something completely unique. I found just such a blog a couple of months ago and it has brought me immense joy. It is called Advertising for Love.

Basically, Pam is a PhD student who is studying old personal ads from the 19th century for her dissertation. She found these ads so charming she started a blog to share her discoveries. These ads are in her words, "funny, strange, poignant and just plain bizarre." And may I add, a delight.

Reading these ads make you realize many things have changed in the world of dating, and yet, many things have stayed very much the same.

Some faves:

11 comments:

Adam and Bri said...

ha! too funny.

really cool site.

Stacy said...

Awesome!

Windybrook Spinner said...

What a neat blog. I love stuff like that--real people's stories in the past.

Julie said...

wow, that's so interesting/funny/odd!! Thanks for pointing out this cool site, I'm so intrigued now....

ali said...

that's cool Kara! Thanks for the recommendation!

Erin said...

I like this. What I don't like is you keeping it from me for MONTHS. Seriously, what is up with that?

CassiLou said...

This is some fun reading. Now if only if we could do side by side comparisons of some of the stuff that end up on all of those dating sites. hee hee!

Diane said...

So funny! What a delightful site. Thanks for finally sharing it!

ImplausibleYarn said...

Thank you so much for introducing me to this site, I wish I had known about it sooner.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

amandacathleen said...

awesome blog! Those ads are a hoot to read.