Saturday, January 23, 2010

IGK: Knitted Headband

The best thing for me to do when I want to get back into knitting is to knit something small. A little IGK (Instant Gratification Knitting), if you will. And this knitted headband fits the bill perfectly.


At my knitting group's Christmas party, we exchanged knit-related presents. I lucked out and got this cute knitted headband pattern and a skein of Chunky Baby Alpaca by Cascade Yarns. The pattern comes from a local yarn store, but if you search Ravelry, you will see tons of these kind of patterns available.

Of the ones I have seen, I've liked the versions with flowers on them. So I used some purple yarn from my stash to knit some floral embellishments. I like to think they look like purple hydrangeas, but they could very well look like purple brains. Either way, I'm okay with it.


If you're interested, here are the stats:
Pattern: Headband pattern from Unraveled Sheep
Source: Verla Younker
Fabric: Cascade Baby Alpaca Chunky in cream (Main)/Lorna's Laces Bullfrogs and Butterflies in Black Pearl (Flowers)
Made for:
Moi
Date Started: January 13, 2009
Date Completed: January 18, 2009
Ravelry Link: Click for Ravelry page

The great thing about a knitted headband is that your ears stay warm AND you still have the option of wearing a ponytail. Win-win!

19 comments:

Sara Kirby said...

way too cute!

erin said...

Very cute! It can keep you ears warm while riding your sassy bike too :)

Adam and Bri said...

super adorbs, kara-lara.

Rose said...

Wow...Your headband looks awesome. The floral looks adds to the beauty of the band. It looks so cute.

Meg said...

Love it!

Joan said...

Love the headband! I taught my 30 year old daughter to knit recently and started her on baby hats since she has a 2 month old. They are pretty quick to do and gratifying. She's doing a baby blanket now tho and is frustrated with the time it's taking to see progress.

Stacy said...

Very cute! I love the flowers.

jane said...

That is so lovely! Very Anthropologie-esque. My ears are permanently cold so I could very much do with something like this, I don't really know why I hadn't thought of this before! And the flowers... so pretty in the variegated yarn. Perfect IGK Kara, I love it!

Erin said...

Ohhh, the flowers turned out super cute! Nice job.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

This makes me wish i could knit...love it!

Julie said...

It's SO pretty!! Looks amazing on you, and love that vintage-y button.

ali said...

I love it Kara! I can totally see purple hydrangeas :)

Laurel said...

i love it! and i would love it even if it DID look like purple brains...which it doesn't...but i would love it anyway.

glad knitting kara is back.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Daaarling. I love the flowers.

knitseashore said...

Purple brains, LOL -- I think it looks so pretty! I did a Calorimetry a few years ago, but it came out pretty wide. This looks like it might be a better fit.

How is your cycling going? I'm only riding indoors. Too cold outside right now. Brrr!

Chancy said...

Very cute!

Durrett Family Band said...

The purple is so pretty. It looks so nice and warm.

Becca said...

this pattern is not available on ravelry, how can I get it? I am frustrated with some others I have found but yours looks great!

Kara said...

Becca,

You can call Verla at Unraveled Sheep. Her number is: 801 255 6833. It is her pattern and you can see if she could e-mail it to you.

Happy Knitting!