Sunday, January 10, 2010

Meet Adelaide...

Look what Santa brought down the chimney for me this year...a Pashley Princess Sovereign. And her name is Adelaide.

Pashley Princess Sovereign in Regency Green

Now some of you may say, "But Kara, didn't you just get yourself a new bike for your 30th birthday?" To which I reply by putting my finger gently on your lips and saying, "shhhh..."

I have learned from many a chic bicyclist that there is no shame in owning multiple bikes. Really, if you think I have lost it, you should blame these amazing bike blogs:
After reading about all the adventures these amazing girls are having on their bikes, you can see it really couldn't be helped. I had to get my Pashley.

And just so you think I'm not completely frivolous, I should say a lot of time and thought went into this decision. First of all, Adelaide has 5 gears and skinnier tires. This will help me attack the hills better around SLC. Also she's a large size frame (22.5"), which helps fit my height of 6 feet better. She comes equipped with built-in lights so I can ride safely ride in the dark, a fully-enclosed chain case that prevent my pants from getting caught in the chain, and has fenders and a skirt guard to keep the mud at bay. Plus, she has a wicker basket that, as my bike guy says, "could carry a whole litter of puppies."

In addition to all the specs that make Adelaide a great bike, there is of course an emotional factor to the decision. She is a hand-built British bicycle with a classic, almost vintage design. When we are riding, I can picture us in the English countryside circa 1930s--she's wearing her basket, I'm wearing tweed. As silly as that is, it's a thought that makes me happy.

As for the name, Adelaide. It came from my new favorite BBC series "Lark Rise to Candleford." (If you love British television costume dramas, then get thee to a Netflix.) When I heard the name, it seemed perfect for my darling Pashley girl.

So yes, I am the girl that went from learning how to ride a bike a year and half ago to owning two bikes. Life is funny like that.

Happy riding!

29 comments:

Erin said...

YOU are funny like that. But funny in a really good way. Love Adelaide and LOVE Lark Rise to Candleford (just had to second your recommendation.)

CassiLou said...

Silly girl! Man! I wish you had loved riding bikes like this when we were kids!

Stacy said...

Ooooh, she's pretty!! Enjoy!!

Jodi said...

Looks like a neat bike! Handbuilt... very nice.

Thanks for the Lark Rise recommendation. I'm a BBC costume drama junkie, so it's going to the top of my queue.

Laurel said...

um, PLEASE promise me you'll give yourself a RETURN TO ME moment where you take the bike with you on an international trip to Europe so some guy can come chasing after you with a nun sitting right in front of him on the bike.

oh, i think i got carried away.

LOVE the bike.
I can't stand how much I love it.

Durrett Family Band said...

I'm picturing you in an "I capture the Castle" type setting riding your bike around. Simply lovely.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

most kids get a new bike every few years as they are growing up...I figure you are just making up for that now! It is a beauty! I hope you have an equally beautiful helmet to go with it...and definitely a spiffy tweed bike friendly skirt should be one of your next sewing projects! (Thanks for not nameing the bike Adeline!)

Adam and Bri said...

gorgeous bike, kara-lara.

and to think it was just yesterday that we were in the church parking lot videotaping your first pedals. you've grown up so fast!

margene said...

She's very pretty and will keep you in and the environment in shape! Enjoy your rides!

ali said...

Beautiful Bike Kara! Lock her up :)

ty and megs said...

oh! she is so perdy!

did you know your dad use to give my mom rides on the basket of his bake and then when she'd get up he'd call her "waffle bottom"? too cute.

Rachele Alpine said...

It is perfectly fine to name your bike! I named my old ipods (Winston, Ruby), my ipod touch (Jenkins) and computer (Ginger). When I'm looking for my ipod, I'll ask my boyfriend, "Have you seen Jenkins?"

amandacathleen said...

oooooo!!! She is beautiful! Totally in love with that basket. Really if my bike guy told me that the basket could hold a litter of puppies I would swoon! Totally swoon.
Your not nutters, its a bike, its not like another car!
Now you just need to go get yourself a smashing tweed jacket...

jane said...

You already know this, but I LOVE IT!!!! It's so gorgeous - that green is to diiiieeee for. I wish you many, many years of happy cycling together! Yay bikes :)

Sara Kirby said...

That bike is beautiful!!! Congrats, Ride On!

Nantucket Dreams said...

i see no problem with 2 bikes! i want two myself! i have my mountain bike i use to cycle for fitness...and want one for cruising around town, like yours with the basket and all! and on my wishlist for spring is a dog cart...like the baby ones to attach to the back of the bike for babies, except i will put my beloved bellini in there!

Heidelweiss said...

I love Adelaide. I'm so glad I was there with you to try her twin on in London. She fit you like a glove (in a bicycleish way). I'm so happy that you adopted her. Ride on, dear friend.

Melanie said...

I support bike buying, especially when it is so cute!

Diane said...

Oh, you and your Adelaide! A perfect match! Like Heidi, I feel particularily proud I was there to help you decide on whether or not she was built just for you. Happy trails!

Juli said...

Well, 'Heidi' is derived from 'Adelaide'. So, obviously, I approve of this whole thing. And I can see you in tweed.

Steph said...

Hi Adelaide! It's so lovely to meet you.

(I'm trying not to be too jealous - a bike like Adelaide is on my wish list.)

Trisha said...

Congrats, Kara! Adelaide is gorgeous. :) Looks like she has found a good home! It's true, a girl can never have too many beautiful bicycles.

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I think warm-hearted post. Particularly the designation attracted me to review the intact story.

ImplausibleYarn said...

Wow! I don't know why I've never heard of this bike before but boy do I want one now for sure! The wicker basket alone is worth it!

Better Living said...

OMG, that's a nice bike. When you cycle, you cycle in style! Maybe we'll run into each other on the way to the farmer's market some Saturday?

Windybrook Spinner said...

I had no idea there were so many cool bikes out there. My dad was into mountain bikes, so that's all I really ever saw much of growing up. I want a bike like yours. Beautiful.

Sigrid said...

Congrats! And thanks for the nice mention; flattered to be sure. I commend you on your choice, am eager to see how the two of you do together, and NO there is definitely not any shame in owning multiple bicycles. I'm so excited for you! Hooray. And...I've added you to my Pash Gals roll. Ride on...

oh, and I particularly like that you are crafty. I have not mastered sewing on the Pash yet, but one never knows...

and last but not least, I have been watching Cranford.☺

Jeff said...

Kara, you are even starting to talk like a multi-bike owner. Reid would be proud.

Hayley Hutchin said...

found you via Dottie! yes, yes, you must own multiple bikes... bikes are like shoes. no matter how great a particular pair is, they're not appropriate for every single occasion! That's just good common sense in my book... justifying my "quiver" of bikes. :)