Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bonjour, je m'appelle Odette.

Seeing the joy in Ellie's face when we made Twinkles inspired me to make a new friend of my own. I have had this doll kit from The Black Apple for some time and had never gotten around to putting it together. So this week I did so during some Olympic watching (BTW, how much did you LOVE the Ladies short skating program last night?!).

Meet Odette...she's French.


The kit came complete with all the pieces pre-cut, including dress pieces made out of special Black Apple-designed fabric. The only hard part for me was what do to with the face. The pattern suggested painting it on, but I thought I would try my hand at embroidery. So, for inspiration, I looked at dolls Emily Martin (the girl behind The Black Apple) had made before and stitched a face up. I think it turned out okay...


Some additions I made was lace for a dress collar and a button brooch. I also took another button and some scrap lace to make a little fancy barrette for her hair. I like to think she looks tres chic. Who knows, maybe Odette will get a knitted shrug in her future.

I really love that Emily Martin. Her approach to everything is so whimsical and fun--whether she is making dolls, paintings, jewelry, valentines, or even cookies.

If you love these dolls as much as I do and want to make your own, Emily gave a tutorial on Martha (yes, THAT Martha!). You can watch it here.

15 comments:

Diane said...

Well, you know me and dolls! She is fabbity! You did an awesome job.

Trisha Jones said...

Tres chic, indeed. Odette is tres, tres, tres chic! I think your addition of lace was pure genius.

Sara Kirby said...

Oh I love her! I adore that you chose to embroider instead of paint! Great job.

The short program female skaters are amazing, I dvr'd and am watching now!

Erin said...

I love her embroidered face. So adorable! Nice job sister.

Laurel said...

STOP IT!

I love it and want it...just don't want to make it.

But, I'll pay you.
Seriously.

You crafty you.

ali said...

okay nothing--your embroidery is beautiful!

I remember seeing that on Martha, I really should do something like that for Greta.

I think Odette needs a knitted shawl fo sho.

Windybrook Spinner said...

She is tre chic for sure. I am so impressed by the face. Your embroidery skills are WAY beyond mine. I made bereavement bears for awhile and the best I could manage for the face was a rather lumpy nose.

Nantucket Dreams said...

bonjour odette! i love her! and the face is the best part- seriously! you did great with that embroidery and she really looks french!
ps- LOVED the ladies- better than the mens by far! i was crying at the end of joannie's skate!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

i feel a bit guilty as i just WATCHED the women's skating last night...you are so clever!

Better Living said...

Tres chic indeed! Excellent job with her darling French face.

Chancy said...

Love the embroidered face. Great job! And I really love the lace collar.

craftoholic said...

Tres jolie! Especially the eyes are beautiful!

Melanie said...

She is tre chic! Next time you are out here I want you to teach me how to embroider. I tried once and couldn't quite catch the vision. Obviously you have it!

Jodi said...

What a delightful project! I love Emily Martin, too, and I enjoyed the segment on Martha Stewart where she made her dolls.

knitseashore said...

Tres jolie! You did a beautiful job with her face!