Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pashley in the Park

Today was cloudy, but unseasonably warm (around 50F) for winter. So I thought it'd be the perfect day to take Adelaide out for her first real ride. So we went to my favorite riding spot, Liberty Park.


There's definitely a "getting to know you" period when you get a new bike. Everything seems just a little different. Not in a good or bad way, just different from what you are used to. For instance, I kept finding myself trying to brake by back-pedaling, when Adelaide has hand brakes. And of course, the Brooks saddle. I probably have 99 miles to go before I really break it in. In the meantime, it is hard as a rock.

But one thing, I do know. I love Adelaide. She is a beauty. She got comments left and right (there are not a lot of bikes like her in SLC). In fact, even a spandex-clad cyclist rode up next to me to ask about her. He said his daughter would love a bike like that. High praise, indeed.

Going on our ride today, just made me excited for spring. For green grass, summer dresses, and bike rides with Adelaide.

21 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

She's so beautiful. Coveting. I miss bike riding, which is a joke because I live in a suburb literally designed for bike riding. I need to just get off my lazy bum and go ride.

Julie said...

such a gorgeous bike!! I can understand about the learning curve, particularly when the brakes aren't the same.

Meg said...

There's definitely a period of "bike butt" before you get used to riding, even after time away. I miss riding a bike, which has been my main mode of transportation while in Colorado these past two summers.... I keep thinking I'll get a bike to use in Michigan, but where I live just isn't as bike-friendly.

martha - caknitter said...

Do I spy Odetter in your basket?
It looked like a lovely day in SLC...it's raining here.
Enjoy your weekend!

martha - caknitter said...

Oops, I meant Odette...lol

Laurel said...

you've come a looooooooooooooong way, baby.

and did i mention i love your life?
cuz i do.
a lot.

sula said...

You know you are just feeding this image I have of you riding you bike past the ducks in a slouchy hand knit hat. Maybe with a baguette in the basket, but certainly trilling out a toodle-oo to adoring neighborhood children... ;)

Sigrid said...

nothing like that first Pash ride! congrats.

and yes, that saddle takes quite awhile, still working on mine.

50...sigh...to dream.

Heidelweiss said...

Adelaide is adorbs. Oh what fun you must be having! I haven't ridden a bike in ages and this really makes me want to pump up the tires and roll around. Lovely.

Adam and Bri said...

so pretty! that picture makes me smile.

ali said...

aw man! I want a bike!

Stacy said...

Yay for bike riding! She looks beautiful there....

erin said...

Wow, Adelaide is lovely! So retro cool.

Diane said...

She's a keeper, Kara! So British, so you!

Erin said...

Love the bike. So glad she finally got to take you for a ride.

knitseashore said...

I envy your getting out to ride in such a pretty setting -- it's still too snowy for me, though Chris' racing season starts next Sunday. Brrrr!

You will adjust to the saddle pretty soon; don't worry!

Meredith said...

I Soooooo want that bike! We can't even really get out walking right now with all the snow here! I am ready for winter to be over! : )

Juli said...

I love that you love your bike! And she really is lovely. I think it's high time Jeff & I got bikes--thanks for the inspiration =).

Steph said...

She's a beauty! The weather is finally warming up here so your bike photo is making me all happy and hopeful for summer!

Dottie said...

I really, really want a Pashley. My husband does not understand how it's different from my Oma, but they are TOTALLY different. For reals :)

melanie said...

here via LGRAB... I am so glad there's a Pash rolling in the SLC! I had a Batavus Old Dutch when I was at the U and felt like such a lovely-bike-loner there. Yay for you!