Monday, March 8, 2010

A Spinster Frock

When you have a Spinsters' Sewing night (Hi, Erin and Ann!), you need to make something extra fun.


And what could be funner (yes, funner) than a spring dress in fab Anna Maria Horner fabric.

Interested in some stats?
Yardage: 2 1/3 yards
Made for: Moi
Date started: March 6, 2010
Date completed: March 7, 2010
Mods: Being a bustier kind of gal, I made the bodice a bit higher by adding about three inches. And being a taller kind of girl, I added about four inches to the length. When I finished putting the dress together it was way too big in the bodice. I must have made the wrong size. So I ended up taking off about 2 inches off each side seam. Now it is perfectly fitted.


Oh spring, when will you get here? My wardrobe is calling...

19 comments:

martha - caknitter said...

It looks so fresh and breezy.:-)
Is that snow on the ground?

Juli said...

Too fun! Hey, it's definitely more Springish here--you and your fantastic wardrobe are welcome to drop in any time =).

sula said...

Veeeeeery nice! Impressive that you had to do alterations and still have a perfectly centered print! I can't use the sizes as listed of Big 4 patterns because of ease like this. I always have to go by the finished measurements.

Hmmm, I'm envisioning a hand knit shrug to wear with this until springtime proper...

Rachele Alpine said...

Super cute...I love the print! Now if Spring could just come quickly!

Windybrook Spinner said...

I love how much fun you are having with sewing. It puts a smile on my face. Darling dress.

Julie said...

so cute!! love the fabric, too.

ali said...

love it :)

Adam and Bri said...

it's perfect! i'm in love, i tell you. love.

KeanaLee said...

LOVE IT! I just bought some material today to make the smock/apron in the book "A is for Apron"

Erin said...

Who is your photographer?!? She must be really talented. Oh, and love the dress. :)

Stacy said...

I made a couple of dresses EXACTLY like that and they were too big in the bodice too. Hmmmm....

Better Living said...

Lovely! I feel your pain about spring sewing; just think of it as advance wardrobe preparation. :):

Chancy said...

Love, love the fabric choice. You're definitely right, it screams spring.

Nantucket Dreams said...

i LOVE this! so pretty and feminine and girly/flirty! you are so ready for spring my dear! your spinster sewing night sounds like gobs of fun too!

knitseashore said...

Spinster? I think you look very Bloomsbury chic with your fab print, black leggings, and ballet flats. Your new book will be out any moment now, right? :)

Heidelweiss said...

Love. See, no mocking.

Durrett Family Band said...

I heart the fabric and the model. Too cute.

Meredith Whitney said...

I love it! You always find the cutest fabric!!! Where do you look??? I would love some crazy cool graphic curtains and a pillow in my living room with a pattern like that buts in grays/black/orange... xo You are so so so talented!

Shannon said...

I really love it!