Monday, April 12, 2010

Cray-cray coincidences in Chicago

Last weekend, I went on a girls' weekend to Chicago. It was with the same crew I went to Philly with last year. We basically ate, laughed, shopped, and talked ourselves silly. A successful trip, indeed.

There's usually a moment during every girls' trip where I want to visit a cool shop that speaks to one of my interests, like a yarn store or a fabric store. But this year, it was a bike shop. Not just any bike shop, but Dutch Bike Co. (My girlfriends are very good sports in indulging me.)

As we were walking up to the shop, my friend pointed out a darling girl riding a beautiful dutch bike in a dress. I thought to myself, that looks like Dottie from Let's Go Ride a Bike (a blog I have been kinda obsessed with since I have gotten into bikes). But I dismissed the possibility due to the craziness of the coincidence.

Sure enough, when we got to the shop, it was Dottie!

Dottie and Me.

All the girls.

She and her husband couldn't have been lovelier. I introduced myself, kinda geeked out about how much I enjoy her and Trisha's blog, and then asked her a whole bunch of bicycle questions. It is really easy, when you follow someone's blog, to feel like you already know them. So when you meet them in the flesh it's almost just a formality.

Thank you, Dottie, for such a fun chat. Running into you was a highlight on an already fabulous trip. (Here's Dottie's post on the chance encounter)

So did I just window shop at Dutch Bike Co.?


Of course not.

My favorite purchase was a Po Campo Rack Bag for Adelaide. (I first discovered these bags when I saw one on Dottie's Betty Foy on a recent post.) Since these bags are hand-made in Chicago, it ended up being a perfect souvenir for my trip. It looks like a perfect fit, no?

I really like the pattern.
I feel like it's a nod to my Hawaii roots.

Also, I got Adelaide a couple of saddle covers. One for when she's feeling particularly British (which Pashleys have a tendency to do)...


And one for when she just wants to be girly and fun...


Both of these saddle covers are from Bikecap, a company from the Netherlands. The best part? They make great hats in a pinch.

I think this is my attempt at making a dapper face.

18 comments:

Adam and Bri said...

cray-cray cool!

you're such a bike groupie. it's uber cute.

Sigrid said...

i didn't know it was a chance meeting ~ fun!
bag looks great on the bike.
thanks for the seat cover tip ~ i'm not really digging my brooks advertisement on the one I got that says to the world "I'm a nice seat on a nice bike, check me out". I more like the well designed less advertisey ones you found. they say "i'm a cool element on a cool bike, but we are both mysterious and don't need to tell you too much".

SpiderWomanKnits said...

unbelievable! your post makes this farm girl wish she had a paved expanse (or less mountainous terrain) to bike on. our area is not bike friendly but i grew up on long island riding my bike every where and i have complete sensory memory of it! so freeing! i really loved it and this makes me miss it. i guess, horses are my bike now ;)

Dottie said...

Yay, it was so much fun to meet you! Especially with such a coincidental surprise like that.

The bag and covers look beautiful on Adelaide, just perfect. I also like the hat look - adorable :) Save that for a tweed ride.

sula said...

Dapper is exactly the word I would choose. Along with mildly intimidating, but only because you & your bikes look so durned dapper!

Erin said...

I love that you bought two bike saddle covers. Very nice.

miss sarah said...

I'm glad you guys met each other!

Strange. When people meet me in real life they're really surprised that I translate very accurately from blog to real life. One girl said to me, "Wow, you're actually that blunt in real life?"

Yup.

Sara Kirby said...

aaaaaahahaha! My favorite part is the dapper face at the end :)

Ya know all this bike talk is making really want to take up bike riding again.

Love the new bag!

ali said...

Kara, I'm learning that when you do something, you do it with STYLE!!

Melanie said...

I've always wondered what it would be like to meet someone who's blog I have been reading. Glad to see it was a good experience.

Diane said...

You have the most amazing 'bike' encounters of anyone that I know! I am so delighted that you got to meet 'Dottie'. It is a delightful story you shared and it put a smile on my face! Your weekend sounded like lots of fun...

Better Living said...

I am totally going to accessorize my bike, too.

Chancy said...

I love the hat pic. Classic. And the thing is, it really does look like a hat. Glad you had a good trip.

Steph said...

There are *gasp* bike blogs?

I swear, I didn't know. This entire post makes me want to tune up my mom's old green CCM and get myself a cute little bag for it.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Durrett Family Band said...

Every time I see something bicycle related now I have the overwhelming urge to buy it for you. Are you more or a horn or a bell kind of girl?

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

well that beats my week all to hec!? thanks for letting me live thru you! love your purchases!

Meredith Whitney said...

I would like to comment, for the record, of all the YEARS I suggested we go ride bikes and your disdain for my suggestion!!! You could not fathom why I always suggested such a thing...SEE!!!! : ) Adorable finds!

Stacy said...

How awesome.... I love chance encounters like that! It looks like you had a great time.

I'm off to Chicago for my own girls weekend at the end of the month. Really, I cannot wait!!