Monday, May 31, 2010

Girls just want to have fun (on bikes)

LGRAB: Summer Games Entry - Social Cycling: Go on a Family Ride

My nieces were so excited. Honestly, I was too. Why? Today I was going to come over and ride bikes with them. Ever since Ellie learned how to ride a two-wheeler, she has been asking me when we can do a auntie/niece bike ride. And since it's the LGRAB: Summer Games, today was the perfect time to go on a family ride (one of the possible entries).

Three biker chicks.

The great thing about where the girls live is that their neighborhood connects right to the bike path running along the Legacy Parkway. That meant we could have a nice leisurely ride, away from cars. Perfect for an auntie who is responsible for two young girls that are relatively new to biking.


I decided to take Libby on this adventure. Turns out it was the perfect outing for her. Mellow, flat, and just plain fun. Although, there were times she was dying to go faster, she did a great job at taking her time and keeping pace with the girls.

I loved this bike ride more than I can say! It was so fun to be out there with the girls, bonding on our bikes. I definitely think I pushed them though. They were all tuckered out by the time we finished an hour later. But I have to say, I was super impressed with them. Poor little Ellie, on her little girl bike, pedaled her heart out just to keep up! And Emma was trying out her gears, figuring out what it all means and what works best for her. The amount of heart they had made the whole experience just awesome.

It's safe to say that I think we've found a new family tradition.


22 comments:

Things to Do said...

This looks so fun and pretty. What a great way to spend a long weekend!

Dottie said...

Lovely! There's really nothing sweeter than little girls riding bikes. You must totally be the cool aunt :)

Diane said...

You rocked this Kara! Perfect aunti plus perfect granddaughters plus a beautiful day for biking = a perfectly wonderful outing!

Maryse said...

That looks like a lot of fun with the mountains in the background! It's good that you spend time with your nieces, they will grow so fast!

Durrett Family Band said...

You all look so darling. What a fun outing.

Jacey said...

Adorable. You're a good Aunt. :)

erin said...

That looks like so much fun! What a great place to ride. I saw some fabric the other day that made me think of you: http://www.fabricworm.com/ermcwegobybi3.html

ali said...

you are so inspiring, I think I'm just going to have to borrow Jon's boy bike until I get one of my own!

Trisha said...

That is adorable! Libby looks great. :) What a fun way to spend time with your nieces.

Erin said...

This is just way too fun. Those pictures of you guys are adorbes.

Nantucket Dreams said...

traditions are the best...especially with a cool auntie like yourself! and sharing something you love with someone you love is always great!

Levin said...

i wish we had a nice bike path like that. we try and go riding with my boys but it's scary at times, with all the traffic.
i've only recently started riding again and i'm amazed at how much fun it is and how free it makes you feel. there's nothing like the wind in your hair (well the non helmetted part) and the sun on your face.....
it's a good way to bond
l
x

CassiLou said...

What an awesome Aunty. And what cute girls!

Laurel said...

you really make me want to get a bike.
and i wish you would stop it.

(you're ridiculously awesome, btw)

caknitter said...

Gosh, to think my bike is put away on a high shelf in the garage. You girls make me want to go on a bike ride too!
Hey, is that snow I see on the mountains? Beautiful!

Jill said...

Love it!

LC said...

How cool and cute at the same time!! xoxo

Adam and Bri said...

the cutest. the absolute cutest.

knitseashore said...

You have given your nieces such a great gift -- time with their aunt and a love for riding! Awesome!

Now you have to get matching grrrl bike jerseys!!! :)

Will post my RI bike path ride from this weekend soon!

LC said...

This is so delightful! You must be THE cool auntie to have ;) I have some wonderful memories of riding with my dad when I was a little girl. Good memories have to be the fundamentals to love cycling throughout adulthood ;)

Heidelweiss said...

How adorbs are you? I'll be the girls had the time of their lives!

Radu Prisacaru - UK Internet Marketer said...

I feel I should say, I absolutely love your website. Could tell me how I can subscribe with it. I invite you to see my post, I hope you will find interesting too.