Saturday, May 8, 2010

Old Man Baby Sweater

You guys remember my friend Jaimi? Well, she is now expecting a bundle of boy! (See what I did there, I said "boy" instead of "joy". Wit!) To celebrate, I hosted a shower for her yesterday and knit her something special.

The pattern is Trellis.

To me, boy babies can look like shrunken old men. So why not knit a old man sweater, but just wee. The cream color, the cables, the collar, the leather buttons, all perfect ingredients for an old man sweater.



I am really in love this sweater. So, so cute. I think it is easy to forget that there are darling knit patterns for boys (even though, I think this sweater could very easily work for a girl). Trellis is the perfect balance of being interesting, yet still dapper. One thing I discovered though, knitting a little sweater with little cables does not necessarily mean your knitting time will be little. It was definitely an investment, but I am so in love with the result, I would definitely knit Trellis again.

Here are some stats...

Pattern: Trellis (a free pattern!)
Source: Knitty
Ravelry Link: Here
Yarn: Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash
Made for: Baby Owen
Size: 6 months
Needle Size: US 7
Date Started: March 28, 2009
Date Completed: May 8, 2009





I must say, Erin was my MVP on this project. The night before the shower, I still had to finish the collar, seam, and add the buttons. I know, that's a lot. So she sat with me as I finished knitting the collar, then she seamed it for me. She didn't leave my house until the job was done at 2:30am. As she was leaving, I told her I loved her and she said, "I don't think I need to tell you how much I love you, I think I just showed you." Indeed, Eres Bears.

Jaimi is such a special friend that I was honored to knit her something that she now considers an heirloom. Love you, Jaimi (and your little Owen, too)!


22 comments:

Stacy said...

That is so darn cute.

ali said...

kara kara, you are amazing. I love it!

utah valley bride said...

Oh, kara. That is just ... perfect.

Adam and Bri said...

Oops. That last one was me.

Although Utah Valley Bride is a BIG fab of baby knits. :)

Adam and Bri said...

Dang it! Big FAN of baby knits. My goodness.

kateohkatie said...

Oh my gosh. You should've posted a warning on that - it's unbearably adorable!! Love it :-)

Maryse said...

It is super cute! So small! I love the buttons! This one is on my list, but I never thought of it as an old man sweater. That's so true though LOL Good job! Your friend is awesome to sew for you until 230am... She's a keeper!!!

jane said...

Aaagggh! That is so cute! Baby boys are totally like old men, in the best possible way, and that's one of the sweetest baby sweaters I've ever seen. Love the sisterly dedication to your knitting, too. And your friend looks really beautiful!

Erin said...

I love how perfect it turned out. I really must knit one for myself...well, not for me exactly...you know what I mean. You did an awesome job.

Meg said...

I made one of those a little while back for a very special little boy, and I adored making it. There is something that is a little bit melty about a wrinkly baby in a Masterpiece Theater sweater.

Awesome job!

Jill said...

Now he needs a little old man hat to go with it. It is an absolute success, Kara!

sula said...

It's wonderful, and I'm in complete agreement with the logic behind it. Little old man-worthy indeed! Great button choice, too.

Durrett Family Band said...

It's lovely and handsome at the same time. Just perfect.

Jacey said...

That is, indeed, an heirloom. I think the cream color is a great choice for a wee old man, and the buttons are lovely.

(I love that peacock print pillow in the last picture!)

Sara Kirby said...

You and your sister are absolutely precious and so is that sweater. Great job, girls!

Better Living said...

Hooray, you got it done! I hope the shower was a success. :)

knitseashore said...

That sweater is so completely adorable! I could see it with a little tweed newsboy cap. :)

I love the name Owen, and it really goes perfectly with the sweater!

Melanie said...

I love anything that makes a little boy look like an old man! This sweater is so cute.

caknitter said...

I love the teeny tiny "old man" sweater...darling. I admire how sweet and loving you are not only to each other but to your friends as well.

Dottie said...

Really amazing work! I love babies dressed in old men sweaters :)

Stephanie said...

Absolute perfection for a wee boy knit!

Anneliese said...

This is just amazing! I can't believe you tackled (so beautifully) such a tough project. What a gift for Jaimi and her little man! I have seen this pattern and passed it up as it looked too time-consuming. So inspiring...