Saturday, June 12, 2010

Full and Gathered

Sometimes I forget that I'm a six-foot-tall, curvy amazon. I'm not saying that I don't love my height and curves, I just legitimately forget sometimes. Take my wardrobe. I tend to try to buy and make things that would look perfect on a lil' pixie of a girl. Case in point, I decided to make a full gathered skirt.

In my mind, it was perfect for many reasons. I love sporting some retro style (a la Mad Men) and it would be perfect for bike riding. Flowy, and not restrictive like other skirts can be. The only thing about full skirts is they are very, very FULL. See?

Duh, Kara.

So it's quite voluminous. Which is not necessarily bad, I just don't think that it's the most flattering on me. (It's hard to tell how BIG it looks in the pictures.) To be fair, I did add extra fabric thinking I was maintaining the proportions of the pattern to make it my size. So some of my issues could be attributed to personal error.

To make this skirt, I followed Gertie's tutorial, which really is great. Simple and straightforward. If you don't read this sewing blog, I definitely recommend it to the sewing inclined.

Maybe I could see myself making this skirt again with a lot less fabric. Maybe that would be better. Or maybe I need to just dress for my actual body instead of pretending to be something that I'm not. Lots of "maybes" at this point.

One thing, it did live up to its biking promise. The skirt has been officially Libby tested and approved.


(These pictures remind me that I need to get a higher handlebar stem for Libby to match the higher seat post. It's a little wee right now. Memo to self.)

Here are some stats on the skirt, if you're interested...
Yardage: 2 1/2 yards
Date started and completed: May 29, 2009


21 comments:

vera b said...

well, i think you and the skirt look super-adorable!
:0)

Adam and Bri said...

i love that last picture. so dang adorbs.

and the skirt was super cute in person.

Jacey said...

The skirt is really cute. I agree it's not the perfect cut for you, but you rock it anyhow. Confidence will do that. :)

Meg said...

I think the skirt is cute on you, but those kinds of skirts do need a certain shape to look good. I also know what you mean about sometimes forgetting about the realities of your body... been there, done that.

Amander said...

Full skirts are hard to pull off, but I think it's cute! It doesn't look too voluminous in the pictures.

Erin said...

Awesome action shots! Do you think the pixie girls know how good they got it? I still think the skirt looks great though--the way you styled it was perfect.

Better Living said...

I think you are rocking the skirt and that it's a style that looks great on you! Nice Anthro necklace and new blog background, too. :)

Heidelweiss said...

I actually kind of love it. Who said the taller sort can't wear full skirts? I'll smack 'em. I'll wear a full skirt if I WANT TO ;). You look like a super star. Really.

Stacy said...

I think it looks cute!!

sula said...

But you wear it so well! And your opening line will have me laughing all week. ;) Thanks for that.

Steph said...

Funny, I'm 5'1.25" and I always forget that I'm short. I feel much taller than I am on the outside. Then I go to buy a blouse and all the darts are in the wrong place.

I love the skirt. I am, after 30+ years embracing skirts for the first time. I'm planning to sew some very soon.

I love that you accessorize for bike riding. Maybe it's the bike. My bike lends itself more to biking gloves, stretchy shorts and a backpack full of my work clothes. I'll be getting back on it soon! So exciting!

CassiLou said...

I love love love the skirt.

Anneliese said...

Oh, I've been there. I don't think I can pull off the full skirt either, though I've tried. My fix-it strategy: wear something over the top like a close fitting tee that goes to the hips or a jacket, there's something about the waistband showing...I have tried to camoflage the fullness a bit. I don't know. I think it looks great on you--especially on the bike! And I LURVE the fabric!

Dottie said...

Libby tested and approved - nice!!

caknitter said...

Oh Kara, the skirt looks lovely on you.
I know what you mean about wearing clothes meant for different bodies...love full skirts too, but my hips say, "no"...bummer.

ImplausibleYarn said...

Its a cute skirt. I have similar problems when I go shopping. I forget I have curves and a figure and fall in love with dresses that end up looking... not great on me.

ali said...

it's very cute though! I do that all the time because I love full skirts. And then I remember that I have hips...

Tina Marshall said...

It looks great on you, Amazon! I love flouncy, full skirts!

Tina Marshall said...

It looks great on you even though you are an Amazon. I love flirty, flouncy skirts too and I'm only 5'3!

Tina Marshall said...

It looks great on you even though you are an Amazon. I love flirty, flouncy skirts too and I'm only 5'3!

Tina Marshall said...

It looks great on you even though you are an Amazon. I love flirty, flouncy skirts too and I'm only 5'3!