Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Knitter's Guide to Bicycle Maintenance

LGRAB: Summer Games - Learning Experiences: Perform a maintenance task (big or small)

I'm not what you call "handy." So with the maintenance challenge for the Summer Games, I had to get creative.

The tape holding down the shifter was starting to get rumpled and come up. So I decided to take all the tape off. But doing that, left the shifter flopping around a bit.

Being a knitter, I have a lot of yarn handy. Enter a brilliant idea...



Wrapping the shifter with yarn to stay in place. Now that's how a knitter does bicycle maintenance.

12 comments:

Stacy said...

Well done!

caknitter said...

MacGyver would be so proud! :-)

Melanie said...

Was any inspiration derived from a certain other bike?

Windybrook Spinner said...

Awesome!

Erin said...

If only all maintenance could be solved with a little yarn.

knitseashore said...

Works for me! Chris has tried to show me how to change a tire, but I can't do it. The most I've ever done is replace batteries in the Cat Eye computer.

There is lots of colorful bar tape in the bike shops if you ever wanted to try that out.

Jacey said...

Leave it to a knitter... very cool!

Stacy said...

Haha! That is fabulous! :) I can just see myself trying to fix a bike like that. Right now I am trying to figure out a way to make a dog bicycle basket...lol. Haven't resorted to knitting yet, but have tried bungee cords - LOL.

Maryse said...

Way to go! ;-)

ali said...

now you know how that other bike got covered in yarn ;)

CassiLou said...

Matt just bought me a bike. Nothing as chic as yours. DI is a wonderful place. Hopefully I can ride as much as you.

Dottie said...

I'm so late to the party, but I love this! This is like twining 2.0. Now I wonder if there's a way I can knit my rear-view mirror in place. It has a tendency to shift a bitt too much. :)