Thursday, July 15, 2010

A midsummer's night in a graveyard

LGRAB: Summer Games - New Territory: Explore a new part of town by bike

I'm in the final stretch of the Summer Games. So tonight I decided to take Adelaide and head over to the Salt Lake City Cemetery for the "Explore a new part of town by bike" task.

Adelaide in the Graveyard

As a kid, cemeteries used to creep me out. But as I've gotten older, I find them to be really beautiful. This cemetery is no exception. It sits on top of a hill looking down on Salt Lake City. What's more, this cemetery is purely Utah.

Overlooking Salt Lake
Just your average polygamist tombstone...

I had some reservations about going to the cemetery. And when I say "reservations," I mean "hills." I admit it, I'm a hill wimp. And the cemetery is located in the hilly Avenues neighborhood of SLC. So I knew getting there, and even riding around the cemetery, would be full of, let's say challenges. (In my defense, Salt Lake City has an average altitude of 4,327 feet. That makes my hills feel even higher and air even thinner. See? Wimp.)

Me and Adelaide

But you know, the great thing about hills is that if you go up one, you get to down it. Makes for a great ride home on a summer night.



13 comments:

jane said...

I'm a total hill wimp too - and I'm sure the altitude makes a big difference, I have no such excuse, dammit. i had no idea Salt Lake City was so high up! And that polygamist tombstone is so incredible for me to see - I doubt there's a single one like that in the whole of England! Amazing.
Your photos are beautiful and it looks like a great ride. Glorious light - bet it all made for a perfect downhill ride home! You are right, it's so worth it.

Meg said...

I love cemeteries... there's lots of dreaming that can be done about the people. For instance, what kind of person goes through life with the name "Euphemia?"

Hills are a good workout! But I have to admit, being a sea-level dweller, when I spent the last two summers riding my bike at 8,000 ft there were hills I had to get off my bike and walk up.

Jacey said...

It looks beautiful. I bet it was a challenging ride. I don't think I've ever seen a polygamist's gravestone before.

Heidelweiss said...

I love the Salt Lake City Cemetery. It's my fave. I also love our altitude. It means we can breathe better than all the other people. Except the ones that live higher than we do.

Stacy said...

I have a strange appreciation for cemeteries too. I think they are cool, especially when there are super old headstones.

Jill said...

I love your biking adventures. It is a good reminder for me to get out and visit the super cool cemeteries around here.

Erin said...

Way to perpetuate the Utah=polygamists myth Kara. :)

Looks like a really fun ride.

Kara said...

Funny thing, I didn't even notice it was a polygamist tombstone until I pulled it up on my computer.

Windybrook Spinner said...

The Salt Lake Cemetary is one of my favorite spots in all the world. It helps that my daughter and grandfather are buried there, but I've always loved it there. It's feels so old and peaceful. Great bike ride location choice, especially on a hot summer evening.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

did you know that grandpa mck courted his wife in the local cemetery reading poetry?!

Amander said...

I have always liked graveyards. I think they are beautiful and peaceful.

Better Living said...

Polygamist tombstones are better than polygamous tombstones!

Dottie said...

Cemeteries still creep me out. That certainly is some new territory!