Saturday, August 7, 2010

She's home.

Got back from my family trip last weekend. And it was epic. If you ever have a chance to travel with 12 members of of your family in a single van for a week, I definitely recommend it. I hope to have pictures of our lovely time in Seattle and Vancouver soon.

Upon my homecoming, I received something wonderful.

My Betty Foy

What's in a name?

My Betty Foy from Rivendell.

She is prettier in person than I could have ever imagine. As far as the name, it comes from a Wordsworth poem, "The Idiot Boy." I don't clearly get the connection between the character in the poem and bike, other than the fact she tears through the countryside searching for her son. But no matter I love the name Betty for another more personal reason.

young love

Betty Jo. My Grandma. As my Grandpa always used to say, "She had class."

So Betty is officially my fast/hill bike. I can already feel the difference on hills. I just need to get in better shape so I can match her abilities. I still have Adelaide for my around-town errands, work commute, and winter rides (if I get enough guts to ride in the winter). But Betty is my "Let's explore some cool new territory," bike. I can already tell there'll be some awesome adventures in our futures.

Here are just some of the little things that make me love her:
  • She is larger than most frames built for women (62cm), so she is Kara size!
  • The heart-shaped lugs!
  • The little apple decals around her name
  • Pletscher two-legged kickstand (LOVE! Want to get one for my Pashley.)
  • Bar-end shifters, definitely a new experience but I got the hang of them pretty quick.
  • Cork grips
  • Brooks B17S saddle in Honey
  • Schwalbe Delta Cruisers in Cream with a reflective side (Inspired by Lovely Bicycle!)
  • Japanese Brass Hammer Bell
  • Rear-view mirror
Hearts!

Ding ding

Saddle

Details

So yeah, the current bike tally: 3. And that's where it is going to stay. I promise! (Until I change my mind which I reserve the right to do.)

PS - I have to give a special shout-out to Dottie of Let's Go Ride a Bike. Her Betty Foy was hands-down the inspiration for buying one of my own. On top of that, Dottie gave me some great advice while I was purchasing my Betty. So thank you, Dottie! I couldn't have done it with out you!

25 comments:

Maryse said...

It's probably the prettiest bike I have ever seen!

Jill said...

Congratulations! She is perfect. Grandma would think so too.

CassiLou said...

Soooo purrrty!

Diane said...

Pure class--perfection! Just like the 'other Betty.'

ty and megs said...

she is a beauty! both betty's are, for that matter. love the picture of grandma and grandpa! i've never seen that one before.

sula said...

She is lovely! And I love that you are so into the details! Enjoy her.

craftoholic said...

Oh, when have bikes become so pretty?! Love the color and the little hearts!

Dottie said...

Yay, how exciting!!

I love that you got all the hearts filled in red. Also, the cream tires! I got an epiphany last winter that cream tires would look perfect on Betty, but I haven't yet been able to justify the extra cost, since mine already has perfectly nice tires.

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures together. She loves hill :)

caknitter said...

Betty is by far the most beautiful of all your bicycles. How can she not with those cute hearts and apple decals. :-)

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

that is one gorgeous bike! LOVE the name and tribute! grandma LOVED to travel so we expect some serious "traveling" on her namesake!

Windybrook Spinner said...

I'm kind of speechless. I've never seen such a wonderful bike. Congrats.

Adam and Bri said...

oh! she's such a betty.

Heidelweiss said...

Who are you? Where have you learned all this technical bicycle jargon? I'm frightened. I also love it.

Jacey said...

I love the shot of your grandparents. It gives me goosebumps. Congrats on your new addition! She's lovely.

erin said...

Congratulations on your new addition! (Actually, I also have a Betty on the way. I haven't ridden one yet, and I've been nervous about it (my first foray into mixte frames). So I'm glad to hear how much you love her already.) She is gorgeous!

And thank you for sharing the picture of your grandmother (which is also gorgeous, by the way). I love to hear how bikes integrate into our personal histories.

Meg said...

That is one smoking hot bike!

Marly said...

Kara-"The Betty" is gorgeous! Almost as gorgeous as Grandma Betty! What a stunning picture of your grandparents.

knitseashore said...

Kara, you have it bad! This bike is beautiful and you are going to travel many happy miles together. She looks like she'll be much easier on hills.

I love the photo of your grandparents too. Adventures seem to run in your family's genes!

Lovely Bicycle! said...

Wow, just spectacular! I love cream tires, and have all my bikes (yes, crazy I know) fitted with some form of white or cream tire as well. I am glad to hear that Betty handles well, and I wish many many many happy rides to you both!

Better Living said...

So when do we ride? :)

Stacy said...

Welcome home and yay for a new bike!

Anneliese said...

I'm not all that into bikes, but I can still appreciate the beauty!

Meredith Whitney said...

Now THAT is a bike! So pretty! I need a photo with you riding it! : )

Lovely Bicycle! said...

PS: We are almost done building up my Royal H mixte now, and it's funny to observe the similarities and differences between her and the Betty Foy. The colour on mine is similar, but greener, the construction is similar, but with twin stays, the tires are the same, and the handlebars are Porteur - which make mine look more French (whereas the Albatross are more English). Will be neat to compare pictures once we're both riding them!

PaddyAnne said...

Hello! I just love your Betty Foy Bike!! I have never seen one before so Thank You for introducing me to them..er... her!

Hope you have tons of fun riding her!
PaddyAnne