Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Betty and I go the distance

Labor Day was insanely beautiful here in Utah--sunny, breezy, and in the 70s. Of course, the best way to take advantage of that was to go on a "serious" bike ride with Betty.

Betty and the scenery

Ever since I got Betty, I've been wanting to experience the kind of ride that she was built for, as in a long(-ish) distance ride. As much fun as she is to ride to work, I felt that the stop-and-go city riding wasn't showing off her full potential. So I bought a bike rack for my car so we could hit some local trails. (I hope it is adorable and not crazy-lady that I refer to my bicycle and myself as a "we.") Yesterday, it was the Legacy Highway Bike Trail.

Legacy Highway Bike Trail

Betty takes in the surroundings

It is relatively flat, but that flatness allowed me to ride longer than I have previously. All in all, I went about 18 miles, a personal best for me. Afterwards, I knew I could have gone even farther. That made me feel pretty good about myself, cause I would love to get to the point where I can ride 30-40 miles no problem.

So now that we have had some time together, what is the verdict on Betty? I LOVE her. She is so smooth and sturdy, yet so nimble and fast. In the beginning, there definitely was a learning curve. I had adjust to more gears, bar-end shifters, a more aggressive riding position, but I feel like I am settling into all that now. Now I blow up hills that previously left me winded, maneuver around obstacles easily, and get-up to speed instantly from a stop. Plus, she is just so darn pretty. And a total flirt. She always seems to be catching someone's eye.

Rockin' cycle chic on the trail

The only negative to the ride was that my shoulders and neck did ache afterward. It is hard to tell if that is because it is a new riding position that my body has to get used to or because my set-up is not quite right.

Regardless, I caught myself smiling several times on the ride. I think that is a good sign that Betty and I are going to ride "happily ever after."

Greetings from the trail

16 comments:

caknitter said...

You two are bff for-evah. lol
Wow, girl, 18 miles! Awesome!

Melanie said...

Betty sure is pretty. I am excited to see you go farther with her!

sula said...

Sounds just loooovely! I'm a fan of flat biking myself. After downhill, of course.

And hey, while I can only covet your bike I think we have the same camera!

Diane said...

YOU are adorable and your enthusiasm for Betty is so fun. Can't believe you biked 18 miles! Way to go...

Hayley Hutchin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam and Bri said...

adorable. definitely adorable.

Lovely Bicycle! said...

Congratulations on the 18 mile ride! Believe it or not, 40 mile rides are not that big of a step from that!

The shoulder and neck pain should pass once you get used to the new position. If not, adjust your handlebars so that they are a bit higher at first, and lower them gradually.

Dottie said...

Great description of her! Fast, nimble, sturdy, flirty - yes :) Beautiful pictures of your ride together ("we" = definitely cute).

The discomfort is probably due to the need to adjust the bars until it's juuuust right. When I first got my Betty, my wrists hurt terribly during my 7 mile ride to work. Slight adjusted the bars (tilted them down) and wrists hurt, but not as much. After a few days of tilting the bars down more and more, I got to a place where I had no pain at all.

Good luck!

Family Cox said...

Wow I am so excited to try that trail! Also you are making me want a Betty myself more and more. Congrats on all the fun!

Durrett Family Band said...

Looks like you two had a lovely day together. Wish I could go for a ride with you!

Jacey said...

Awesome! I'm so proud. 18 miles is a great first long ride. I hope the two of you have many years together.

Stacy said...

"We" is totally appropriate. I'm glad you had a good outing together! And 18 miles is impressive my friend!

Erin said...

I think you lean a titch more adorable than crazy-lady. Just my two cents.

ali said...

smiling is a good sign. And I LOVE that last picture, you should frame that

knitseashore said...

I wish I could ride with you!!

I know you're going to be signing up for those MS150 rides in no time. :)

Nantucket Dreams said...

you go girl!!!! the bike is so fab!!!