Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mad for madras

When looking in my closet, I realized something. I forgot to show you a madras plaid skirt I made last year. Yeah, as in 2009. Well, better late than never.

Modeling Madras

I had a real affinity for madras plaid last year. So when I found this fabric at JoAnn's I knew it was destined to become a retro-style skirt. Unlike my other full skirt, I think this one works for me. Instead of the fullness starting at my waist, it's fitted on the top due to pleating and then flares out.

Pleats

This was an easy pattern with (I think) a cute result. Don't be surprise if you see it again using some other fabric.

Madras skirt

If you're interested, here are some stats:
Pattern: M5856
Fabric: Madras plaid fabric found at JoAnn's
Yardage: 2 3/4
Made for: Moi
Date started and completed: Labor Day Weekend 2009
Mods: None

Oh, and of course, this skirt is totally Betty compatible. Isn't that what really matters?

Skirt is Betty-approved

22 comments:

Adam and Bri said...

adore it.

you're so talented. it'd be annoying if it i didn't love you so.

Better Living said...

Cute cute cute! And Betty is a lovely accessory.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Very darling and bike-riding compatable is extremely important. Nice job.

ali said...

very cute, so glad you posted it!

craftoholic said...

So cute! Love your shoes too, your whole outfit is adorable and perfect for a day biking around!

Amander said...

So cute, Kara dear. You are one talented seamstress.

caknitter said...

so cute!

Meg said...

Very, very fun!

Jacey said...

The plaid is a great choice; the skirt looks fantastic on you. I agree that it's a better skirt style than your other full skirt. Cute, cute!

sula said...

It's just darling, and seems like a versatile number too. I like the shape.

I'm glad we got to see it!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

loving it! I bought a sweater on clearance and need to make a skirt to go with it...this just might be the answer!

Julie said...

That skirt is awesome!! I love the colours in the madras plaid. It looks so pretty!

knitseashore said...

That is so.pretty. But what really matters is that I would love to see a photo of the room you were in. Is that your craft/creative room? I love the rug!!!

Stacy said...

It's so very cute!! Nice job friend!

Jill said...

You put the FAB in AbFab!

Maryse said...

This is such a nice skirt! It must be getting a lot of wear! Really nice!

Nantucket Dreams said...

your rug is so adorable and the skirt is even more adorable!

Lovely Bicycle! said...

I know what you mean about this style of skirt being more flattering than the kind where the fullness starts at the waist; it's certainly the case for me. The madras creation looks great!

Durrett Family Band said...

Amazing! It looks like the perfect pattern for an eazy, breezy, bike-riding skirt. You are so talented.

PaddyAnne said...

HI ! I love your sense of colour and flair! I'm just wondering if you have ever made a cape ? I'm still in the planning stages, trying to do my own pattern (but if I see a commercial pattern may just switch to that) and am thinking of making it in a variety of fabrics... just wondering if you have tried that yet and if so, how it went! Thanks for your fun blog!!

Anneliese said...

I love madras. And traditional (as in Britain/Scotland) plaids too. I'm also envious you forgot about a project you completed! That's better than finding a $20 in your pocket!

Nicola said...

It's super cute, and the colours go really well with your bike! Really lovely.