Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Cycling with Dignity" from Pashley bicycles

If I hadn't already bought my Pashley Princess Sovereign before seeing these Pashley bicycle ads, I would have ordered one with haste. Just the tagline alone would have converted me to be a Pashley-ite: "Cycling with Dignity."

(Click to embiggen. Then you can see the details of the word design and illustration. Is that bike-part flora?)

Headline: "A young school teacher given to fits of nostalgia sings the words to a boy band tune out loud. Moments later, inexplicably, she is thrown from her Pashley."

Headline: "For God know what reason, a young designer takes to wearing bright orange lycra cycling shorts. Until she goes back to trousers, her Pashley resists traveling any route but the back streets."

Headline: "A pre-eminent radiologist succumbs to temptation and stops to buy a cheese-burger from a famous global chain. When he returns his Pashley has disappeared. Theft, you can be assured, was not involved."

These ads make me think that their target demographic was girls who love clever ad copy, are obsessed with Liberty of London-esque illustration, think bicycles are people too, and are named Kara.

BTW...The ads are now hanging up in my flat as art.

(These ads are the property of Pashley bicycles and were created in 2007.)

10 comments:

Erin said...

It is kind of spooky to think that pashley was targeting you back when you didn't even know how to ride a bike. They are geniuses!

Meg said...

Wow, those ads are genius!

Sigrid said...

hilarious...and spot on!

Juli said...

Those are FABULOUS!
And I think I'd get along with any of those bicycles just fine.

jane said...

So great!! Also: I want bike-themed fabric JUST LIKE THAT.

Jacey said...

Yep, those were made just for you! I especially think the last one is hilarious.

Steph said...

Now I want a Pashley!

ali said...

um, I love those ads

knitseashore said...

Ohhh I love them. What a great idea to hang them up where you can enjoy them!

Dottie said...

Ha, I've never seen these before. Brilliant!