Friday, October 15, 2010

A Fair Weather Beret

Why hello, Autumn? I would like to introduce to you my new hat.

The Fair Isle Beret

It's a Fair Isle Beret, if you didn't know. We've been having a lovely time together doing autumnal hat-like things, like riding Adelaide in the park and having afternoon tea.

In the park with my new hat

I am really pleased how it turned out. The colors ended up working really well together and it was addictive to knit. Producing a new pattern row would just spur me on to knit another. I loved seeing all the different color combinations and patterns come together. The thing that was interesting, however, is the fact that you knit the beret flat and then seam it up. I don't love my seaming job, it is definitely a bit flawed. If I did this again, I would probably adjust the pattern to knit it in the round. I see no reason why it couldn't be.

Hi pom pom!

The only thing that gives me pause is I might have erred on the side of making it too big. A little too floppy. But you know that's my own fault. Instead of knitting the body on size 3 needles like the pattern said, I knit it on 4s for two reasons: I didn't have a pair of 3s handy and I was worried it was going to be too small (it was hard to judge the real size from the pattern picture).

Fair Isle from the side

When I told Erin about my size issue, she asked me if I knit a swatch to test gauge. Funny thing, she knows full well that I hate knitting swatches and refuse to do so. (I just want to jump in and start the project!) It is kinda like when the dentist asks if you flossed everyday. You know that they know that you don't, but they are asking anyway just to make a point.

Despite the floppiness, I kinda sorta love it a lot.

Adelaide in the park

Here are the all-important stats:

Pattern: Fair Isle Beret
Source: Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine Fall/Winter 2010
Ravelry Link:
Here
Yarn:
Hodgepodge of Classic Elite Yarn Fresco/Reynolds Soft Sea Wool/Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift (See Ravelry link for more details on which is which)
Made for:
Me, of course!
Needle size:
US 2/US 4 straight needles
Date started: October 5, 2010
Date completed:
October 12, 2010

And we are off! In search of some cider, no doubt.

Into the sunset

34 comments:

Things to Do said...

This is super lovely! I cannot wait till I learn to knit so I can make cool stuff like this!

CassiLou said...

Totally Adorbs!!!! You look SMASHING Dah-ling!

dianamican said...

Pretty!

Sigrid said...

IMpressive! I was just using flossing as an analogy tonight ~ I too never got into the gauge thing. Looks great!

Diane said...

Are you kidding me? This is a fabulous knit! It is such a perfect style, and you wear with it with such charm. I love everything about this hat. Perfection, Kara!

Heidelweiss said...

I love it! Your outfit is pretty great too.

Windybrook Spinner said...

I adore it, floppiness and all. I think the size looks perfect, actually. Who needs gauge swatches? I mean, really. I have to say that the seam thing is so Debbie Bliss. She has the most darling patterns, but I swear she designs them to be as complicated as possible. I don't know if this is a British knitting thing or just her, but honestly it is kind of annoying. (I've obviously had my own run-ins with her patterns before and I'm unsucessfully trying not to be bitter.) You did a great job despite the seaming. I can't even see it in the pictures. Congrats.

caknitter said...

Kara, the hat looks great on you and looks beautiful! You are def a hat person. :-)

jane said...

Beautiful colourful autumna loveliness. Your seaming looks pretty perfect to me, and I think it looks good with the slouch. (I *may* have just ordered myself a copy of the magazine....)

Nicola said...

I love it, and I love the floppiness too!

ty and megs said...

i love everything about this floppy beret! especially the gal under it!

Carolyn said...

It's gorgeous!! (And I hate gauge swatches too...although when knitting a sweater I'll suck it up and do one....for a hat, I just embrace my laziness)

theseamery said...

Perfection! I can't believe you never knit swatches, and yet make such beautiful things! I can't imagine why this isn't made in the round, but I would have done the same thing you did--knit it "as-is" and then have an excuse to make a second one!

Anneliese said...

Love it! I can't believe how quickly you knit it!

Sara Kirby said...

Fare thee well!!!!

Adam and Bri said...

umm, gorgeous!

a friend to knit with said...

you are adorable. and so is your beret!

Dottie said...

I love this hat, especially the blue band. The size looks just right, I've seen more bigger berets like this lately. And how perfect with Adelaide. Very autumn chic :)

Laurel said...

sometimes i can't stand how cute you are.

PS...my head is big if you ever decide it needs a new home. just sayin'

Erin said...

You make fun of me but swatching comes in handy! You just happened to get lucky with this hat. It is perfect.

Meg said...

You are completely adorable! Two things if the fit is too big.

1. try slightly felting it by getting it wet and putting it in the dryer for a few minutes. This sounds scary but I did it to a beret I made too big and it is now my favorite hat.

2. Elastic thread.

Lap Dog Knits said...

Adorable hat!!! This is on my list of patterns to knit this year so it was fun to see yours completed and the colors you selected.
LOVE the bike too!! Great pictures, thanks for sharing

Jacey said...

Cute, cute! It turned out lovely, and who cares if it's a little floppy? It looks adorable on you, and I love that you're riding around enjoying this awesone fall weather in that cute hat.

ali said...

Kara, it's gorgeous! I totally love it, and I can't even see your seam. it is odd though, hats should always be knit in the round, shouldn't they?

knitseashore said...

Your new beret is so darling! It goes perfectly with your bicycle and the lovely autumn days!

Wonderfallz said...

Your hat turned out fantastic! Hooray for fall hats, I broke out mine this week as well.

I refuse to do swatches either. I would rather start knitting and rip back/start over if it's not the right size.

Chancy said...

Not too floppy at all. Looks totally cute!

erin said...

The hat is perfect! (And I can't even see the seam, so that must have worked out fairly well too.) What a perfect accessory for a nice autumn bike ride!

I think you and your cute beret have even inspired me to break out the half-knit red light special (via brooklyntweed) and finish that up.

Love fall.

Anne said...

The hat looks great! One of these days I will be brave enough to try fair isle. I also have a Pashley Princess Sovereign and love your pannier! Where did you find it?

Kara said...

Anne- I couldn't find a way to contact you personally, so I am answering your question here.

I got the pannier online at The Bicycle Muse:

http://www.thebicyclemuse.com/shop/deluxe-shopper-bicycle-pannier-p-31.html

I really love it. It is just the right balance of style and function, in my opinion.

Always nice to meet another Pashley girl!

Meredith Whitney said...

So adorable. Really. Uh, every time I read your blog I miss you!!!

Simply Bike said...

I cannot even believe you made that, you are soo talented! I love the pattern, it's gorgeous. I knew you looked familiar when I spotted you on Flickr and then I realized that I recognize you from your guest post on Let's Go Ride a Bike. I don't know why it took me this long to come across your blog and photostream, but I love your site and you attitude about cycling :) and you craftiness. I've added you to my blogroll and look forward to many happy returns here.

S.

Anne said...

Thanks for letting me know about the pannier!

amanda said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!