Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In a fair (isle) mood

Lately I have been dreaming in fair isle. I want to knit fair isle sweaters, mittens, and of course hats. I am obsessed! But really is it that surprising? (Lots of colors and patterns...that doesn't seem like Kara at all!)

This recent obsession creates a funny little predicament considering I "technically" have a fair isle project on the needles. Remember Little Birds? Poor little, neglected sweater. Don't know why, but I can't bring myself to work on it. It seems too overwhelming at this point to figure out and finish. What I've decided to do is start my Fair Isle Knitting Revolution small, by knitting a fair isle beret.

I've always loved the idea of a fair isle beret. Every time I see one pop up in a WWII, British mini-series (which seems make up 75% of my Netflix queue), I think to myself, "Kara, it is ridiculous that you don't have one of those berets. Especially since you could easily knit one yourself. Completely ridic!"


So the pattern I picked is from the Fall/Winter 2010 Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine. (BTW...TONS of cute fair isle projects in that one.) When I saw this beret pattern, I immediately saw myself wearing it while riding Adelaide in the countryside. A good sign, I think. Plus, who could resist a pom-pom? Glad to say, not I!

Beret in utero

Who knows, maybe after this, I'll work my way up to mittens, and then, and only then, I'll be ready to take on that Little Birds sweater.

14 comments:

Anneliese said...

Ooohhh, I can't wait to see it! You are so ambitious, but also wise to start smaller. I love Debbie Bliss Fair Isle sweaters for babies but have found even those to be too intimidating! Maybe I'll try and give it a go after see you tackle this.

caknitter said...

Ohmygosh, Kara, what a great idea! Love the colors, too! Can't wait to see the beautiful beret. I hope you don't mind if I jump on your fair-isle-knitting-bandwagon. Perfect for fall. :-)

Elisa M said...

I am jealous and hopeful that maybe one day I can aspire to this!

Photos please.

*What is your favorite yarn company? Just wondering...

sula said...

A perfect biking beret! I would make that hat if the hair came with it. :)

I have a stranded knitting project that is all but abandoned too. Maybe we should figure out how to motivate each other to return to our erstwhile isles?

Durrett Family Band said...

Great colors! Don't beat yourself up about Little Birds. I find that sometimes if I give myself some time away from a project, it makes more sense when I come back to it.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Look at those colors! It is going to be gorgeous.

Jacey said...

Colorwork is on my list for 2010, but I"m running out of time. Good luck with your hat! I can picture you wearing it on Betty as well. :)

craftoholic said...

Ohh, love the colors you picked, it'll be so cute!! Btw, thanks to your British mini-series obsession I found out about Larkrise to Candleford, and absolutely loved it. Too bad we have to wait until the next season is out on DVD. Please share any other shows you've been watching lately!

Erin said...

It is going to be gorgeous. Start working now!

ali said...

those colors are beautiful! I can't wait to see it. And do share the titles of these WWII British mini-series, won't you? I think I might love them.

Julie said...

It's going to be gorgeous!! I totally know what you mean- I think it's the weather, but I'm craving fair isle lately too.

Adam and Bri said...

you go girl.

Diane said...

This hat was made for you. I love the colors and can't wait to see you modeling it while riding Adelaide!

knitseashore said...

Such a great project, and more manageable than Little Birds right now. Once you make a few of the smaller items, perhaps you'll be ready to tackle it again.

I love the British, WWII series. Have you seen Foyle's War? Samantha has the hair that goes with that beret!