Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rainy Day Fingerless Gloves

Wouldn't it be great if I could wear something that would fill me with the feeling of picking fruit in an orchard on a rainy day? Oh wait.

Leaves and gloves

The Rainy Day Fingerless gloves are finished. I will say it, this project was a delight. It was the perfect blend of a quick project that is entertaining to knit which results in maximum cuteness.

One glove wonder

I made mention of this before, but I do love knitting these "Happy Little Trees". There is something about knitting a picture that is really delightful. Other forms of fair isle can be more abstract (which don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy knitting). But when you knit an actual picture, it's like you get to tell a story through the medium of knitting. A lovely thought.

Rainy Day Fingerless Gloves

The one very small "con" is they are snug. Fair isle knits really don't lend themselves to be very stretchy. So I basically have to shimmy these gloves on. But really, that's no biggie. They don't look to small when they are actually on, and that's what matters.

Hi, meet my new glove

Lastly, here are those stats you have come to know and love:

Pattern: Rainy Day Fingerless Gloves by Ellie Stubenrauch
Source: Knit.1 Fall/Winter 2008 or here
Ravelry link: Here
Yarn: Hodgepodge of Classic Elite Yarn Fresco/Reynolds Soft Sea Wool/Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift/Debbie Bliss Cashmerino (See Ravelry link for more details on which is which.)
Needle size: US 3 dpns
Made for: Me, me, me!
Date started: October 14, 2010
Date completed: October 30, 2010

Just the gloves

34 comments:

The Tiny Homestead said...

these are one of the cutest projects/gloves/knitted items ever! love them, thanks for sharing your pics.

JujuBean said...

Seriously. Crazy-cute. And the buttons!

Trisha said...

These are so adorable! And I love anything with buttons. A friend of mine has caught the knitting bug and has been wanting to give me lessons; I might have to let her.

ty and megs said...

i'm in love.

and the buttons? they're to die for!

Maryse said...

These gloves are so so so cute! These gloves are on my queue, maybe some day I will own a pair too! I'd make them exactly like yours with the little red buttons! Enjoy wearing them!

Velouria said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

I loved watching this one from inception to completion; so suspenseful. And the red buttons are a nice touch.

Laurel said...

so, um, if someone wanted to um, buy a pair of these awesome fingerless gloves from er, um, someone, how much, um, would, um, like, er, um, they cost?

(seriously, kara, you *might* have just motivated me to take up knitting again. LOVE THEM!!)

Meg said...

Holy wow, those are too cute!

Windybrook Spinner said...

So darling!

Kimberly Ann Petersen said...

So cute! Great job! I'm always eye-ing this pattern.

Adam and Bri said...

shimmy these on every single day. they are that cute.

caknitter said...

Adorable!

ali said...

you are freakishly fast. Love them! And I completely love the buttons.

Taki J said...

Oooo... these are great. I love fingerless gloves and better yet ones with a picture. Magnificent.

Jacey said...

You are so cute in the last photo. The gloves rock, and I agree; actual picture knitting is really neat. Are you planning another fair isle project, or something completely different?

margene said...

So, so cute! You did a fabulous job of knitting and they gloves are a treasure!

Lisa said...

Ack! Those are so ridiculously cute!!

Diane said...

I knew that I would love them. They are the cutest fingerless gloves, ever! Excellent job, Kara!

GIRL DATING NYC said...

adorable. the red buttons are the best.

sula said...

A. Dorable. I am now thoroughly convinced that there is nothing to equal a little whimsy in your knitting.

knitseashore said...

So adorable!!! Can't wait to see what you knit next!

dokinchan said...

those are lovely. and I think they evoke a much nicer feel that standing in a real damp and cold rainy orchard really would. romantic isn't always so comfortable in reality but sure makes for cutey-pie gloves.

naturallycyclingmanchester said...

you are so talented! I do crochet, not learnt how to knit, but even in crochet I know the basics only. I can do wrist warmers but I'd like to learn how to crochet fingerless gloves (as I have a request from my partner lol!)... x

Kenoshia said...

Yay, they're done! I love how cute they are.

jane said...

These are extremely lovely. Cute buttons! I love the idea of knitting pictures. I worry I might get carried away though - I can half see myself at 40 in a humungous sweater with intarsia farmyard animals all over it. Mmm, cosy.

Sarah said...

Beautiful, knitting envy right here.

Durrett Family Band said...

They're delightful. Plus, you look so beautiful in that photo.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

normally I think fingerless gloves are a bit fruity (no pun intended), but these are amazing...I would wear them!

Carolyn said...

Oh, be still my heart! They're adorable!

kateohkatie said...

Can I make a confession?

I've never tried colorwork (well, aside from normal striping, that is).

This is a problem. Because I lust after those gloves.

Guess I know what to do! ;-)

::sigh::

Shannon said...

So cute!

Ingrid said...

Oh my god! You named it! Maximum cuteness! I love them! (: *

Amy said...

Oh, those are adorable! I've got those queued, and may just have to knit them up one of these days.

Nonnahs said...

Those are SO cute!!