Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Egypt

I have a bad case of the wanderlust. The list of places I want to travel is always growing and evolving. So when my dad told me that he had business to attend to in the Middle East (more specifically Egypt, Israel, Jordan, and the UAE), I told him, "You know I'm coming, right?" It was a statement, not a request.

So it was settled, my dad, mom, Erin, and I all went on an adventure that would cross some major things off my list.

First up, Cairo. The first thing that struck me about Cairo, the traffic is cray-cray. Lanes mean nothing, 8 lanes of cars on a 3-lane highway is not considered rush hour. And every car has a dent, even the fancy ones. Good thing we had someone driving us, because I don't think we would have made it to our hotel.

In order to fight off jetlag, we went to a night market. Where I got a cute lamp and a marriage proposal. (Not surprising because after 20 hours of flying I was looking GOOOD!)

Night market in Cairo

Next morning, it was off to Giza. Just so you know, Pyramids, totally NOT overrated.

A wonder

On the pyramids

Standing on the slope

Giza

This is why I love my mom

Erin, Sphinx, and I

My cute parents

And camels are surprisingly uncomfortable to ride. But they sure are cute.

Camel time

That evening was spent on a lovely felucca ride on the Nile.

Felucca on the Nile

Family on a Felucca

Looking at the Nile

Cairo from the Nile

Erin is so cute

Pharoah's Barge

The next day, we visited the Cairo museum before heading out. The thing that struck me most about the museum was how stuffed it was with Egyptian antiquities. Every nook and cranny had something ancient and significant. It was kind of overwhelming. And maybe it was my Western sensibility, but I was shocked at how unprotected all the items were. There were no signs saying, "Do Not Touch" or ropes keeping spectators at a distance. Someone could easily just lean up against a 3,000 year old sarcophagus like is was no big deal. Another funny thing, the signs for a lot of the artifacts were like pieces of scrap-paper with a description typed on it, like from a typewriter. It just made me laugh to think about how the European and American museums would handle these same artifacts (I am sure lasers and security guards would be involved.)

Being in the Cairo museum, seeing actual mummies of the pharaohs (Ramses II's mummy had locks of his hair still!) made me think of this music video from Josh Ritter called "The Curse."



It was probably for the best that I didn't have a mummy love affair, but I did leave with a definite crush on Egypt. Hope to return again and see more. I'm looking at you, Luxor.

Next up, Israel...

21 comments:

Maryse said...

These are such amazing family pictures! I love the one with your whole family on the pyramids! This is quality time!

Things to Do said...

OK, your pictures are incredible! What a great adventure. Can I also say how much I love your scarf in those photos?

shopgirl said...

AH MAY ZING

Adam and Bri said...

this trip is insane, and it's only part one.

sigh.

ty and megs said...

hello world travelers! what an amazing trip. i can't wait for more.

and i'm in love with the picture of your mom holing the pyramid. another one for her collection. :)

Jacey said...

Love! I'm so glad you got this chance, and it's even better that you got to experience it with family. Your pictures are amazing. I may be just the tiniest bit jealous!

Trisha said...

"The Curse" would totally be running through my head in Egypt. Your family is adorable. Looks like you had a great time and got in a lot of sightseeing. What camera do you have? The pics are just beautiful.

p.s. thanks for confirming my suspicion that camel rides would be decidedly uncomfy. :)

Kimberly Ann Petersen said...

Looks like such a great trip! Can I tell you how much I just want to be you and Erin? You are such adventurous amazing women. Will you adopt me?

Windybrook Spinner said...

You are all so darling. What a great trip! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Amazing that you fit in Israel, Jordan, and UAE too. I am sure you got to see some wonderful things.

ali said...

I'm going to continue reading these, but I feel the need to say that I'm extremely jealous ;)

Stacy said...

Wow, sounds like you had an amazing time!! Call me jealous and paint me green. (Yes, that was lame, I know)

Jill said...

What an amazing experience! Oh and the night shopping jet lag cure? Brilliant!

theseamery said...

Looks amazing! Soooo, did you accept the proposal or not? ;)

photoknitdog said...

Looks like an awesome trip! I totally want to go to Egypt too and so happy to see your pics of it. Thanks for sharing! :)

CelticCastOn said...

amazing pics! Its amazing how massive the pyramids really are, unreal!
Love the one of your mum hanging on by the tip, she's got some pipes!
Can't wait for more!

caknitter said...

Welcome home! The pics look awesome. And the pyramids, wow.

inspiredcyclist said...

Your pictures are amazing, thanks for sharing them! What an awesome adventure. Also, the video you shared is pretty cool. Thanks!

Simply Bike said...

these pictures are amazing - what a wonderful trip! I think my favorite is the one of all of your guys on camels with a pyramid behind you. It's almost too good to be true!

jane said...

Fantastic!! I am glad you had such a good time! That's funny about the museum, the Egyptian artefacts at the British Museum are so heavily protected from the public, as you say!
These photos have blown my mind a little so I'm all out of words...!

Carolyn said...

Wowsers! What a trip! I am just a bit (okay, completely) jealous about your whirlwind trip. What a great opportunity. Are your parents looking for another kid because I'm available for adoption...I have references and everything :)

Jeff said...

You look so international. I'm a little jealous of your trip. All the photos are amazing.