Monday, November 29, 2010

United Arab Emirates

Here it is. The last of my blogs on my Middle East trip. Our last stop was the United Arab Emirates. While there we went to Abu Dhabi and saw the most beautiful mosque--the Sheikh Zayed Mosque.

Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi

Flower tiles on the courtyard floor

To enter the mosque, us women had to dress appropriately.

Us three girls

Properly garbed at the mosque

Antechamber
Antechamber

Flower tiles on moque wall
Flower tiles on the walls

99 Names of Allah
99 Names of Allah

Handwoven rug in mosque
Hand-woven rug

Family in the mosque

Arches

Later that day, we explored the wonders of Dubai, including a man-made island shaped a like palm tree and a mall with a ski slope in it. Dubai is an architect's playground. Compared to all the ancient things we had seen on this trip, it was amazing to be surrounded by such newness.

The Sail Hotel in Dubai

Basically, this trip was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. However, it so got under my skin, I am already plotting my return.

(Thank you, mom and dad. Love you so much!)

18 comments:

Things to Do said...

Those pictures look so incredible they don't even look real! Really lovely. Did you happen to go to the burj dubai?

I had a professor in college who made a lot of trips to Dubai over the last five years and he did this time lapse video of the skyline over time. It made me really want to go!

Adam and Bri said...

sigh.

that is all.

photoknitdog said...

Wow, that mosque is incredible! What a wonderful trip!

trisha said...

How beautiful! I could use that carpet. And you've got me wondering: did wearing a burqa make you stand out less as a foreigner?

Melanie said...

Next time can I go with you guys? Your trip looks amazing!

Velouria said...

The pictures of the Mosque are amazing; all the designs!

And I know this is a ridiculous thing to say, but the 3 of you look fabulous in those outfits : )

ty and megs said...

wow! that mosque is breath taking!

Jacey said...

The Mosque looks so beautiful. I'm still in awe that you got to experience such a trip. And Dubai! I'm sure that was an impressive sight. After seeing so many pictures online of it, it probably didn't even seem real.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Well, that mosque is far more beautiful than any cathedral I've ever seen. So much light. Those flower tiles are incredible. What a wonderful trip.

Julie said...

oh, such amazing photos!! I can't get over the inlaid marble, all the white... gorgeous!!

Jeff said...

Amazing photographs!

Erin said...

Yes, thank you Mom and Dad for a once in a lifetime experience (and I don't use that phrase lightly). Crazy that we were there less than a month ago.

ali said...

and when you return, you're taking me, right? right?

caknitter said...

Wow, the opulence is overwhelming.
Thank you for taking us along. :-)

Sara said...

It's such a shame. I am an Emarati and I never got to visit Sheikh Zayed mosque in AD. The Islamic architecture is stunning. Thank you for posting just wonderful high quality pictures.
I hope you enjoyed your stay here in Dubai. :)

Laurel said...

thanks for letting me pretend i went on the trip of a lifetime. fun catching up on your blog today.

and THANK YOU for the most perfect quote. I've written it down and read it every day.

xoxo

Nantucket Dreams said...

what beauty! i never knew that existed! the tiles and floors and all that color and pattern are breathtaking!

Sarah said...

Wow, gorgeous pictures!