Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bicycle Basket Bunting

Feel that? Could it be? Spring, is that you?

The weather is starting to shift. The good days are outnumbering the bad. This mean the riding season is upon us. (To be fair, there are many awesome bicyclists who pedal year around. Like in the snow and cold and stuff. They are my rock stars.) As a result, I took Adelaide into the "doctor's" for a little check-up before I started commuting again. And lookie loo, she came back with some new hardware.

My new shifter!

It was awesome. I took her in. Talked to the guys at Cyclesmith about how hard it has been to for me use her plastic shifter (getting to first gear was always a little shady) and they called Sturmey Archer and got me a nice metal one to replace it. No charge. Adelaide is definitely happy about her posh new shifter.

Also to celebrate Adelaide's first ride in 2011, I decided to whip up something special. The seed was planted when I saw this picture on Flickr.

Bunting
Source

How cute is that? Bunting on a bicycle? Stop it.

So I searched the world wide webs, found a tutorial, pulled some cute fabric from my scrap pile, and got sewing.

Cutting out triangles
You are correct. That fabric has little bicycles on it.
Couldn't resist.


Sew them all together

Ta Da!

It turned out pretty cute as is. But I have to admit, it became even more darling on Adelaide.

Basket Bunting

Basket Bunting close up

So, hello, 2011. Adelaide sends her warmest regards.

Spring?

29 comments:

Stacy said...

Super cute! Love the bunting. And you look great with Adelaide.

Stacy said...

BTW, my word confirmation was "beetrum." Doesn't that sound like the most disgusting thing ever?

Carolyn said...

Could the bunting be more perfect? Nope. Couldn't happen.

kateohkatie said...

Lovely! Absolutely wonderful :-) Happy cycling!

melanie said...

oh my cute! love the outfit too!

Steph said...

Adelaide, you look so adorable with your new bunting! I love it. I want to make bunting for my bike, but I don't have a cruiser, or a basket. Maybe I'll just make it for my house. :)

(The paranoid cyclist that I am is concerned that the bunting might fall down off the basket and catch in your tire when you start to ride. Could a little matching thread be used to attach it to the front of the basket? Or did you already do that and I can't see it? Also - when did I become one of THOSE commenters? Shut up, Stephanie, you're being a nerd.)

Kara said...

Don't worry, Steph. I have strategically tied down the bunting to the basket in at least six different places. So I don't think it's going anywhere. Safety first!

Erin said...

What a beautiful welcome to spring gift for Adelaide! LOVE the bunting and so glad you found another use for that bike fabric.

Marissa said...

I *swear* I can hear her contented sigh at being outdoors right through the picture. Or perhaps that was you??
Happy Spring!

Nicola said...

That's really weird, I've been thinking of making a mini pom pom garland for my basket, AND you have the pannier bag that I so so want! I'm very jealous.

knitseashore said...

That is so awesome; what a way to welcome spring!! I bet you received lots of complements for Adelaide!

I will say again that I wish I lived closer so we could ride together. My Grace is dying to go out, but the roads are still too messy -- lots of sand and potholes.

inspiredcyclist said...

Kara, the bicycle bunting is absolutely PERFECT! Looks festive and cheery! And it looks like you coordinated your cycle chic fashion (leggings too!) with Adelaide! Happy Riding!

Adam and Bri said...

you and adelaide are the cutest.

Durrett Family Band said...

Amazing! You are totally pulling off the stirrup leggings. I'm crazy jealous!

Anne said...

The bunting looks great! I have a 5-speed Pashley and have had shifting problems as well. Last time my shop bugged Sturmey Archer, they didn't have that new shifter for my hub, but that was a couple months ago. Do you have a 5-speed? I would love to get a shifter like the one you got!

Kara said...

Anne,

My Pashley is also a 5-speed. So I would definitely check back with them. Good luck!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

simply dahling! i also like "her" plaid seat cover and your over the heel leggins!

Dottie said...

Oh, my goodness! That is such a great idea. Fresh and pretty. I love how you see something, like it and then actually take the initiative to make it a part of your life.

Anne said...

Thank you! I will check with my bike shop.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Fabulous!

Yaya said...

Stop it. That is ridiculously cute.

I just started commuting a bit by bike. A bit nerve racking at first, but I hope to keep it up!

Jacey said...

So cute. So amazingly cute. And by that, I am of course referring to you, the bike AND the bunting. Happy spring!

Elisa M said...

Bunting is my new favorite thing: have it in my bedroom, at parties, everywhere! Now I know I need it on my bike as well. You are cute as can be.

Nantucket Dreams said...

Awesome! You guys look great! Or rather...you girls look great!

Maryse said...

Nice details! Happy spring! Here it does not look like spring yet... but it's coming!

ali said...

just cute!

Rachele Alpine said...

I love the flags! My mom has been working on garlands of flags for my wedding reception!

D @ Homemade and Happy said...

Your bunting looks amazing! And I'm so envious of the gorgeous Adelaide the bicycle - she looks like my dream bike :-)
Thank you for the link to my tutorial, and I'm pleased you got on well with it!
Happy days to you,
D x

Shannon said...

Bunting: cute
Outfit in last picture: Amazing