Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blousey and Paisely


Me in Liberty

Liberty of London strikes again! But this time, it comes from my beloved fabric stash. I got this fabric on my last trip to London, at the actual Liberty of London department store. Needless to say, it's pretty special to me.

The fabric has been sitting in my stash for a while, untouched. Sometimes I would pull it out and just stare at it, even pet it. Let's just say, Gollum comes to mind when describing my behavior. "My Precious!"

But this week, I decided to take the plunge and actually make something out of it. The thought of wearing Liberty won out to having it safely stowed away where no one could appreciate it. Despite this new resolution, I can't tell you how stressed I was cutting into it. Cause once you cut it, you can't go back. I didn't want to ruin the fabric with my unworthiness.

But in the end I cut, I sewed, I wore.

Sleeve

I knew I wanted to use this Built by Wendy blouse pattern (Unfortunately it is out of print, but there are copies still out there. I found mine on Etsy.). I thought it would complement the Liberty fabric nicely. I think I was right. The wingy-ness of the sleeve, the mandarin collar, the sash, the paisley--they all came together to make this a really unique, feminine blouse.

The Liberty fabric does not disappoint. Their beautiful Tana lawn cotton is perfect for apparel sewing.

Collar and buttons

After the cape, I cannot tell you what a peaceful sewing experience this was. It was straightforward and doable. I didn't need to call my mommy once.

Now it's time for a breakdown. (En Vogue shout out!)
Pattern:
Simplicity 4112 (Built by Wendy)
Fabric: Liberty Bourton, B
Made for: Moi
Date Started: March 20, 2011
Date Completed: March 23, 2011
Mods: I added two inches of length to the bodice. That meant adding an extra button.

Tie

I have a feeling this won't be the last you see of this blouse pattern. I already want to make the long-sleeve version. You know, I have some other Liberty fabric that would be perfect for that. (I have created a Liberty-sewing monster!)

Dapper

28 comments:

Meg said...

Perfection. So flattering! And are those Heidi braids you're wearing? I am growing my hair largely because I want Heidi braids. Jealous.

Stacy said...

Very cute!!

Carolyn said...

It looks fabulous! And I definitely feel you on being nervous to cut into the "fancy fabric." I have several fabrics that I'm saving for "just the right project", but I'm afraid that that project may never come along. I suppose I should just bite the bullet...perhaps you've inspired me to do just that!

Better Living said...

It was worth the wait! SO pretty!

Jacey said...

Dude. This blouse is freaking incredible! It fits you so well. The fabric is luxurious and beautiful, and you waited for just the right project to use it. Yay, Kara!

Also, love the En Vogue shoutout.

I have a couple of fabric cuts that I'm equally afraid to use. As Carolyn says in her comment, maybe this is the inspiration needed to get over that silly fear!

Nicola said...

Pretty! You've got a healthy glow going on at the moment too.

Rachele Alpine said...

I love the sleeves and the collar! So cute!

knitseashore said...

Gorgeous!! Good for you for taking a risk that paid off so prettily. Are the buttons L of L too? Dare I ask how/if Little Birds is going?

Things to Do said...

I am so jealous of that fabric! It looks amazing on you. Great job!

Sigrid said...

perfect combo! you are a sewing wonder. i know the feeling of panic when you cut into a fabric you have drooled over and stared at like the Mona Lisa for so long...

Yaya said...

Way lovely! Nice job!

Erin said...

Such a flattering top! I didn't think I would like the wing sleeves but they are really cute. Well done!

Trisha said...

So cute! will you come be my personal seamstress?? :)

Adam and Bri said...

you're so beautiful. and so is your top!

sula said...

This is beyond lovely! A perfect combo of fabric and pattern, and great technique!

I'm so excited for you (and for me, to see the beautiful things you are making!).

Marissa said...

Such pretty fabric, and a wonderful fit. That style looks lovely on you!

Laurel said...

ridiculously adorable.
you AND the blouse!

Velouria said...

Oh how I wish I could make something like this! The sleeves, the collar, the tailoring - I love it!

inspiredcyclist said...

Kara, the print, the style, and the colors are PERFECT! Way to go!

Heidelweiss said...

Oh you. You can always whip up something fabulous! Love. And that cape?! What?! It's too much.

ali said...

Well done!

Diane said...

The fabric is stunning. The pattern is classic. And on you, it is perfection! A job well done, Kara. Love it!

caknitter said...

Paisley are fun! Btw, Project Runway is holding auditions for the next season. :-) just thought I would share that bit of info with you since you've become such a great seamstress :-)

Dottie said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! You definitely used this special fabric well!

Pam said...

So cute...I have to sew something now.

KnitPastis said...

It only took you three days to sew this! It looks so comfortable to wear. I like for my tops to hit me exactly where you have it too.

ButtonMad said...

love the bodice and well we never mind adding extra buttons ;-) in fact the more the merrier

Nantucket Dreams said...

Oh darling! Really really perfect! That liberty print is great and I am lovin thentunicy pattern too. You did that fabric justice!