Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Great Caper

Clap your hands, the cape is done!

The cape

Oh, this cape. It sure gave me the run around. When I started out, I thought, "How hard can this be? It's basically like sewing a blanket. Easy Peasy!" Wrong. With the collar and the lining, it turned out to be quite the adventure in tailoring skills. Not to mention the matching up of the plaid fabric (which turned out pretty amazingly, if I do say so myself).

Cape in back

I mentioned in an earlier post that I hit an impasse with the collar. At that point I took it to my mom for help. Let's just say that I may have started the sewing the cape, but my mom finished it.


My mom told me once that Christian Dior called his seamstresses his "Fairy Fingers." This was due to their fine hand work. Well, mom was definitely my fairy fingers on this project. Thank you, Dee-Dee!

One of the best bits about the cape is the arm holes. It's a feature that makes it perfect for riding an upright bicycle like Adelaide.

Arm hole

I was going to take some action shots of the cape on my bicycle, but unfortunately the downpour outside made that photo shoot a little problematic. So stay tuned for some bicycle shots in the near future.

The lining was also a bit tiresome to sew. But I have to admit, it does make for a nice finished look.

Lining

And of course there is that blasted collar. But with my mom's attention, I think it turned out lovely.

Collar

Here are some cape-y stats.
Pattern: Vintage Simplicity 6680
Fabric: Purple plaid wool
Made for: Moi
Date Started: February 1, 2011
Date Completed: March 16, 2011
Mods: The biggest modification is that we chopped off about 2 or so inches from the bottom. The shorter length--one were you could see my fingers peeking out of the bottom--was a bit more modern.

For the most part, I am pretty pleased with the result. The only thing is that when you're wearing a cape, you become acutely aware that everyone else isn't. It's a bit "Hello, World! I'm wearing a CAPE." Not a bad thing. Just may take some getting used to.

Cape open

36 comments:

Adam and Bri said...

capes are super. and you're super cute.

you and your fairy fingers are amazing!

Velouria said...

Oh! The colour combination is perfect and suits you very nicely. I also love the tailoring. Beautiful all around, love it!

Pam said...

So cute and perfect for bike riding!

Sigrid said...

what an accomplishment! i sewed a skirt with similar lining and next to linen, that slippery fabric is the worst! well done. and you made me giggle - be proud of your capishness!! hello world!

margene said...

You made that!? It's awesome. Wear it proudly, wear it with style. Rock it, grrl! It looks fabulous on you.

Trisha said...

Yay, cape is done! It looks great -- and great on you! True that wearing a cape sets you apart, but that's part of the fun, I think. :)

Julie said...

what a fantastic cape!!! love the plaid, and it'll look awesome while you ride around town on your bike, for sure!!

knitseashore said...

You did it!! You and your mom did a fabulous job. Now we need an action shot with one of your bikes. :)

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

very impressive! kudos to BOTH of you! i noticed the excellent plaid matching right off!

Carolyn said...

Kara, it is gorgeous...the color, the cut, the lining...it all came together so beautifully! I have to say that my favorite part though is how well the plaid lines up. While I love plaid fabric I am always terrified of matching the stripes so I usually pass over the fabric. You did an amazing job with having them line up. I am super-impressed!

Diane said...

I think it turned out perfectly! What a challenging and fun experience we had putting it all together. It looks fabulous on you, Kara! Well done...

michelle said...

3 Cheers for Mommies! It's so wonderful to have a crafty mom! The cape looks outstanding! It's uber posh! I can't wait to see the bike shoot!

Elisa M said...

Could you be any cuter? or more talented? No. this is awesome! You may have custom orders pouring in from cyclists all over! :)

Better Living said...

DARLING!! And you've summed up the cape-wearing phenomenon so eloquently: "...when you're wearing a cape, you become acutely aware that everyone else isn't."

ty and megs said...

love it! you totally rock the cape!

ali said...

it looks fabulous! And the plaids match perfectly. Well done!

Jacey said...

Clap, clap! Your cape is awesome. I love the little arm holes, and the lining?? Wow. I'm super impressed. I'm glad your mom was able to help you out. Moms are awesome that way.

Jill said...

It looks amazing! It fits you perfectly and it's super cool that you were able to work on it with your mom. She really does have fairy fingers. And I am afraid that you do as well, my stylish and crafty cousin.

Jen said...

Very cute! And I love your last comment...I feel that way about quite a few things I make. But it does look great and I can see you on your bicycle now! - Disentangled

Kenoshia said...

Beautiful job! Well done. It looks so pretty.

Nicola said...

Super super! I'm really impressed, you and your mom did such a great job.

KnitPastis said...

This really turned out super cute. I love it on you and the way you did your hair up in a bun! You mom and you have some mad sewing skills too. So looking forward to the bicycle photo shoot now!

Melanie said...

Your plaid matching is perfect! Perhaps your cape wearing will start a trend in your neighborhood.

Maryse said...

Well done! It looks beautiful! I love the lining and also that this is team work with your mom! Knitting is the only hobby I share with my mom and I love that!

Meg said...

How adorable are you?! I am super envious of the way you can pull off a garment as awesome as a cape and of your plaid matching skills.

kateohkatie said...

I'm stunned - it's gorgeous!!! Now I want to make one :-D

Dottie said...

Oh this is AWESOME! I love love it. And yay for moms!

Lol about the hi, I'm wearing a cape bit. Too cute. :)

I can't wait to see the action pics.

sula said...

Wow! You and your fairy fingers did amazing work together! Lining, a collar, matching plaids, and it looks fantastic.

So now that you've taken on sewing big time, are you getting addicted?

sula said...

PS Yet another look says great buttons, too!

inspiredcyclist said...

Kara - I love everything about this, the plaid (very Sherlockesque), the mint green lining, and the style. You will look stunning riding either bike with your new cape! CONGRATS!

sarah swanson said...

What a lovely cape, and the colors are so pretty. One question, I saw you had an umbrella hanging in the back ground? how did you get it to hang up in that position? I have an umbrella I bought in Portland, and is unhappily in my closet I want it out and seen.

Erin said...

My favorite line: "when you're wearing a cape, you become acutely aware that everyone else isn't." Hilarious. I think it (and you) are fab.

Anneliese said...

Such a fabulous cape! I love it"!

She Rides a Bike said...

Wonderful cape. I'm impressed with with your sewing skills. My grandmother tried to show me how to sew and I had some lessons but at the time I just didn't see the need. Boy, was I dumb.

SM said...

That's so impressive and you're so talented. Just wondering if you ever tried knitting or crocheted a cape? The reason I ask is because my sister gave me one that she purchased and it secures with two buttons at the neck line. I always thought if it had openings for the arms it would be perfect, but it sort of just drapes. It does keep the shoulders cozy warm and the opening in the front still allows the arms to move freely and peek out to work around the house.

Jessica Cassity said...

So cute! And so polished! I may not make one, but I would totally buy one :)