Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hair Escapades

I've been playing around with my hair lately. It's long enough now where I can experiment and try some fun things. The great thing about hair-dos is they're the perfect accessory to an outfit--and they're free.

So here are some of my recent forays into hair along with the tutorials I used.

First off, Heidi braids. I love Heidi braids. When I wear them, I feel like I'm getting in touch with my Scandinavian roots.


I just love that my hair is long enough that I can do them now. Heidi braid tutorial here.

Maybe I've been watching too many period dramas (like THAT's possible), but I've been digging the vintage braid-y up-dos as of late.



Vintage braided up-do tutorial here. (BTW...Casey's Elegant Musings is a great vintage/sewing/lifestyle blog. And she has several great video hair tutorials on YouTube.)

It's not always about braids. Buns can have fun too. Instead of my standard single, low bun, how about three mini ones?


And this style is bike helmet compatible! Tutorial here.

For other inspiring hair looks and tutorials, check out my "Let down your hair" board on Pinterest. There are a lot of styles there that will make you want to get out the ole hairbrush.

Now go on, get your hair did.

21 comments:

Diane said...

I am always amazed at how well you look in any hair style. You are pretty talented my girl, making all those hairstyles look like you had it done at a salon!

CelticCastOn said...

Are you seriously just holding your hair up with bobbypins?? I'm gonna have to throw something at you if you are!

Windybrook Spinner said...

Sigh. I just love your blog. =)

Adam and Bri said...

you're so fancy.

Maryse said...

Really nice hairdo!

Sigrid said...

being a girl is fun! i am going to have to figure out how to have more fun with my longer locks. thanks!

inspiredcyclist said...

You are just so much FUN! And all the hair styles are adorable. I am excited about trying the bike helmet compatible one on my not even shoulder length hair. Hair + helmets generally do not = a good look!
Period shows...will you be watching HBOs Mildred Pierce...begins tonight...Kate Winslet...Should be very good!

Dottie said...

These all look great. I love wearing braids, but I'm so bad at doing them. I made Trisha braid my hair every day when we were in France, she's an expert. :)

KnitPastis said...

My favorite of your braids are in the second photo!

Nicola said...

I love all of your looks! I'm really bad at doing my hair, but I'm growing it anyway, hoping that one day it will be long enough to braid and I'll be able to learn.

Velouria said...

I love all three hair styles, but especially the 2nd one!

Carolyn said...

I suck at doing hair so I am completely in awe of you! And I love the three little buns! A great solution to helmet hair!

Jacey said...

I like the mini buns in the last photo. You're so adorable. I've enjoyed your pinterest hair style collection.

Trisha said...

argh. this is what I miss about my long hair! I used to spend hours reading hairstyle blogs and practicing. Thanks for letting me live vicariously -- these are so pretty!

Stacy said...

Very cute!

Meg said...

I've been experimenting with with putting my hair up lately too. It's lots of fun now that my hair is getting longer. I just wish I could do it a little more reliably... practice, practice!

Erin said...

I am pretty sure that every time I have seen you in the last month you have had a braid-y up-do. Obsessive much. :)

I am just a little (lot) jealous of your perfect hair. Bobby pins are not the same friend to me that they are to you. I am loving the braids on you though.

SM said...

I adore the three little buns. All these hairstyles look so becoming on you.

Meg said...

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-london/the-mary-poppins-effect/

Saw this and thought of you!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Love all of these, especially the Heidi braids. I envy your long hair - When we were in Scandanavia this summer braids were all the rage. Another popular braid is taking the bangs in to one side, I think that might look really nice on you.

Shannon said...

That's so funny, two days ago I made Mike take photos of me with the three tiny buns. Of course with how fine my hair is they are truly tiny buns. Do you ever do three vertical buns?