Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Crafty bicycles

The bicycle craft movement is spreading!

Jessica of the great health and lifestyle blog, The Happy and Healthy Blog, emailed me a couple of weeks ago. She asked if I had any suggestions to prevent the bottom of the bicycle basket from scratching her new bike's paint. (BTW, her bike is named Betty too! Kindred bike spirits!) We were able to to come up with a creative and crafty solution, which she executed awesomely. Essentially, it's a shower cap for the bottom of the basket.

See the cute result here.

It sure is fun to use crafting to solve a bicycle problem. So, any bicycle crafts on your mind?

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Perfect solution...and so cute!

Krysta said...

This is great! Question Are you going to the Utah Bike Summit on Friday?

Jacey said...

Cute! I'm glad you could share your crafty expertise with a fellow biker.

KnitPastis said...

That is stylish!! I would have loved one of those back when I had a bike and a basket. Think of all the beautiful basket covers you can now come up with retro, modern, shabby chic etc! Put a patent on this quick:)

knitseashore said...

What a clever way to solve that problem! I probably would have bought one of those black canvas packs instead, which is not nearly as creative. :)

I've always thought of knitting a wool helmet liner. My helmet has vents in it, and when it's windy or cold outside, my head can get chilly. I know Pearl Izumi makes those thin skullcaps in the tech-y material, but again, not nearly as creative.

Nantucket Dreams said...

Thanks for sharing this blog! It is very cute and inspiring!I am gonna try her oatmeal trick!

inspiredcyclist said...

Great innovative idea Kara, she sure came to the right person!

katriniella said...

So cute! What a great idea, I love it. I've seen crocheted dress guards on etsy, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't last a week in the Portland rain.